No front plate in Switzerland! | FerrariChat

No front plate in Switzerland!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by roma1280, Jul 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #1 roma1280, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    I know from Marcel's posts that the Swiss police are most unamused by cars without front license plates leading to large fines and I think possible impounding of the car.

I will be driving through Switzerland with 0895gt en route to the 70th celebrations in September. The car is US registered and currently has no front license plate. Am I ok to drive through Switzerland without a front plate or not?

Thank you.

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you are probably fine because you have a foreign registered car and the proper insurance.

just dont speed. i mean it.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mark:

Don't do that. NOT a good idea (I mean driving into and thru Switzerland without front plate). Also, crossing border at Chiasso from Switzerland to Italy without a front plate will cause you massive additional trouble.
    You can easily install a removable front plate with some bracket etc.

Marcel Massini

4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    With plate or not, the car will enjoy the long cruise through Europe.

Enjoy the celebrations

5. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Not a good idea as Marcel said, it's mandatory here, and I believe in just about every country in mainland Europe.

Whilst I sometimes see cars driving without their license plate (fell off or something similar, maybe just a short journey), you are highly likely to be intercepted at the border coming in/going out, or at gas stations or in the cities.

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    After reading the above, and who posted, I will assume the old front plate on the dashboard it NOT going to work either :)
    I would suck it up and put a temp bracket on the front.

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What about printing the plate out in sticker/vinyl form and putting it on the front bumper? You could print off several and just peel them off when you arrive at your destination.

8. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    #8 Carbonio, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Switzerland has probably the toughest enforcement of rules anywhere in the world and using a front license plate is no exception. Putting it in the front window is almost never accepted and breaks a number of international rules regarding how a plate is to be displayed.

Luckily we have the solution as we have removable front plate mounts that fit just about every Ferrari from 1948-present. These mounts go on and off in seconds and are totally self contained and leave no trace once they are removed. All models are tested at speed for stability and cooling. We have sold many to classic Ferrari owners and a number of Ferrari dealers carry them and fit them with every new car they sell.

Here is link to the product page and some photos of installations on older Ferrari's (ignore the link saying 488 as this is a coding error we will resolve):

Carbonio Performance - Ferrari 488 No-Drill Plate Mount
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Mandatory in France too.

Rgds

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What if your car is registered in a U.S. state that does not issue front plates, such as Florida?

11. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    You don't argue with Swiss cops... :\

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #12 Marcel Massini, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Sticker/vinyl form: Seriously ILLEGAL and you will not only be heavily fined for not using a proper front plate but also for falsifying a plate, and that will be very very very costly in Switzerland.
    (And a side note: Please note that all license plates in Switzerland do belong to the Government, not to the car owner).

Additional info for Mark D and his superb TDF which originally had Italian plates:
    I understand you have reproduction Italian plates. If so, do NOT keep them in the car while you are driving through Switzerland and entering Italy at the border. If the cops or customs people search your car and find another plate inside or in the trunk, even a reproduction one from some other country, your car will be confiscated/impounded immediately (especially by the Italians!) because of the possibly unpaid TVA/VAT (value added tax) and import/re-import tax questions.
    Trust me, I have experience with that, crossing borders with classic Ferraris from Switzerland into Italy with cars on foreign plates or old Italian (historic/period) plates. Do not keep those in the car anywhere. Send such historic plates by fedex to your hotel in Italy, completely separate from your car.

Marcel Massini

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, all correct. Good solution.

Marcel Massini

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Lots of (probably frustrated) Swiss citizens notify the Police whenever they see a car without plates.

Marcel Massini

15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    YIKES! Thank you Marcel I am glad I asked!

16. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Marcel and thank you for the plate advice too, I wouldn't have thought of that either!

17. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Carbonio the plate holder looks good. Would it fit for a 250 and where/how does it attach?

18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Marcel's warnings make Switzerland sound like a police state! Perhaps they need to eat more chocolate and mellow out some.

19. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    They are!
    A few years ago, I have got a fine for speeding 11.500,- Euro / 13.500,- US$

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mate you're not even allowed to wash your car on Sunday.

21. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    The following video should explain it all:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gfvWasNIxY[/ame]

22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    How would the Italians or Swiss know that a Vinyl plate of a US plate is a reproduction? Are all police in Europe well versed in each US state law? I don't by any means advocate anyone purposely break the laws in Europe but here in the US several states don't even issue a front plate at all.

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    When you travel from USA to some other country, just adapt to the laws of the country you visit.
    Whenever I go to USA I also do exactly what is required in USA.
    It's quite easy, just do it.
    When an European country requires a front plate (and they all do) then just make sure that you have one. You can save a lot of $$$ and avoid any trouble.

Marcel Massini

24. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Incorrect.
    You ARE allowed to wash your car but not at home on Sunday and not on your private grounds/area (this to protect environment and neighbors). Only in a self-wash station specifically set up for car wash.

Marcel Massini

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I paid US$ 4'500 in 2014.
    No complaints, just pay.

Marcel Massini