New GT | Page 7 | FerrariChat

New GT

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by agrun, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Makes perfect sense to me. Also Cali has become the defacto platform for Ferrari to introduce major changes and perfect it before incorporating it into their V8 and V12 models. DCT and Turbos being the two examples where Cali and Cali T led the way and the rest followed.

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I wasn't even willing to do it on the Maserati QP, I bought the GTS instead of the Lusso. The V6 sounds good but lacks power in the right spot.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #153 Marcel Massini, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    New GT, California successor, is NOT a hybrid.

The successor of the 488 will be a hybrid but not in the conventional sense. It will have an electric powered Turbo and other gadgets. The goal is to increase driving fun and performance with the side effect of improving pollution/exhaust data.

Marcel Massini

4. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Great news Marcel-thank you for putting us out of our potential misery. Then we can safely assume a tweaked V8?

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Actually, I am disappointed. Marcel didn't say it but he meant the Cali replacement will be another turbo. I think a hybrid with a NA V8 would be much preferable to yet another turbo. After all, the LaF is a hybrid with a NA V12.

IMO, turbos are temporary solutions. Assuming turbo cars weigh the same as the NA cars, they're only fuel and emissions efficient when the turbos have not kicked in, aren't running... when you are driving slowly in high gear, low revs. Who wants to do that in a Ferrari?

Ferrari did not want to make turbo-engine cars but their hands were forced, especially since FIAT spun off Ferrari and it no longer had the FIAT base to help it conform to CAFE regulations.

If Ferrari really wanted turbos their V12s would be turbo as well.

6. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Great news, thanks sir Massini

7. maximilien

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Hybrid system like laferrari is expensive for series car

8. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    yes you should google mercedes new 48V v6 engine with that much electricity it runs electric turbo compressor constantly for low torque and regular turbo for mid-high

electric AC also

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Really? Well, the new NSX is cheaper, faster and is hybrid. Hybrid is the expected next tech, not more turbo.

Ferrari needs to get with the program. If the next iteration of their V8 GT is only turbo and it ships for MY 2019 and has a 11 year run like the California, it might be 2030 before Ferrari comes up with updated tech for that platform format.

Even if the next GT only gets a 7-year run like the NA Cali, it will be 2026 before all the grey-hair Ferraristi gets to order a properly-updated replacement.

How old are you going to be in 2026 or 2030? I can tell you I'm going to be too old to bother waiting.

10. maximilien

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Hybrid is the next tech, so why Porsche stopped development on your 911, McLaren for the moment don't have hybrid technology for series car, aston Martin same. Every constructors developed your système hybrid. Hybrid system is not just battery and electric motor, is different things too help combustion engine for Low emission and for sport car fun to drive

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I tend to agree that turbo is a holding pattern and that in due course that will be supserceded by hybrid. What doesn't make sense is Marchione's comment as why launch a new model on the streets in 2018 if all Ferraris will have a hybrid element by 2019? Surely some element must debut on this car even if very minor? And why go out of the way not to reveal tech details to the dealers? On the other hand if anyone should know on this forum, Marcel would be it.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I think we should reconcile with the fact that the V8s will be turbocharged for the foreseeable future.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Cheaper and faster than what?

14. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Maybe he's talking about a 48 volt mild hybrid system? It wouldn't be revolutionary but a lot easier to implement than a full hybrid one.

http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-upcoming-48-volt-1790364465

15. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Whats funny is for the reasons you state as a deficit is exactly why they are used.

Turbos are only efficent when they are not kicked in... So cruising. So when people are idling or crusing at speed they arent working. They use "free power' of the exhaust that is already there and recycle that energy to make an engine exponentially more efficient. If you are burning a fuel you need air. IF there was a better way the aerospace industry would have come up with it. The turbo is the best way to make an engine exponentially more powerful on demand. Turbos i.e. forced induction will be part of the program until batteries either come way up on tech (which in my opinion they won't, a battery powered car is truly a stepping stone in our transportaiton) or until fuel cell cars like hydrogen become the new way of the future (more of a permanent solution)

its just physics... turbos will be here until the end of the internal combustion engine

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The NSX is an mediocre yawn fest that no one cares about.

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    To be fair a number of Ferrari owners also ordered the NSX to...

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Single or maybe double digit numbers, I'm sure. It's a small number and very small percentage of Ferrari sales and very few will keep the NSX.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If you follow IMSA, the Acura NSX is proving itself to be a competitive package.

I looked at the debut street NSX a few months ago, but passed because I prefer Ferrari.

Acura is committed to the NSX for at least 5 years. I am sure they will be making a number of improvements affecting the design-- tidying up some mismatched trim elements, as well as upgrading the somewhat less than stellar interior.

The fact that there is a race car means that performance upgrades are in the works as well.

Let's see what the NSX becomes in 2-3 years.

20. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    Had the NSX came out 7 years ago like scheduled it would have been great. Their clientele got rightfully "cold" on the car then combine that with the lackluster design interior, terrible detail like the aforementioned interior and exterior trims, all lent to the lackluster sales. Those many who bought one hoping to cash in are losing money everyday now as they are being sold under MSRP. Honda/Acura lost it's way over a decade ago, that coming from a die-hard Honda fan in both cars and motorcycles. Sadly they'll go down for the foreseeable future, they've got a LOT of work to do to gain market-share/sales

21. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    the original NSX was an awesome car... especially loved the gearbox. wasn't a huge fan of the understeer but beyond that was fantastic for the price. I had high hopes like many for the new NSX. Was fun to drive but just didn't do it for me like others have said. There was nothing terrible about it also nothing that really made me so "wow"

22. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Fair statement. +1

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Maybe they'll get rid of that cattleguard front end

24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I know. The design with all the mismatched grillwork could certainly be easily improved.

The interior has practically no place to store stuff. And as I recall no frunk (front trunk )

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    My first Ferrari was a California and I then bought a later Cali30 with HS that was fine car I sold that and bought a F12 and replaced my Cali with a 911TTS... The point is I have missed the Easy comfort of the cali and have considered getting a new one but think I will wait till the new GT comes out as I am not crazy about the CaliT... I am getting used to the idea of the Turbo...
    I also think as an additional car a V6 DINO type car would be awesome as I am a great Dino fan..
    so lets hope they stay V8T in the GT an optional V12 would be stellar and add theV6 mid engine Dino as a separate line