Ferrari 250 TdF 0895gt rally London to Maranello | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 TdF 0895gt rally London to Maranello

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by roma1280, Jul 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Dear all, is there any point in having a TdF in the garage if you don't drive it as much as possible? To quote a great F chatter, he wrote something about not driving your Ferrrari is something like not doing something with your girlfriend and something to do with the next guy. You get the gist.

I am planning to fly 0895gt to London and drive the 1,100 or so miles from London to Maranello to end up at the Ferrari concorso in Maranello the weekend of September 10th.

I don't know if anyone is interested but was thinking of documenting the preparations and the trip on this thread.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    That'll be a great journey and driving that beautiful TdF home!!!

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes, please do! Would love to see all of the behind the scenes. Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Absolutely interested! Keep us posted, Mark, and enjoy the ride! (<-- world's most obvious statement...)

5. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Hello Mark,
    Its a nice drive. Done it 3 times in my car.
    Found I needed the 1 night layover somewhere on route.
    Each time went a different route.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    very exciting...looking forward to this one

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sounds great!

8. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    do plan a stop over in Munich !

around that time, I`ll be driving down to Lago di Garda in my 308 :)

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    A travel guide for car enthusiasts; see Maranello and lots of other places before the big party. That sounds like an excellent summer vacation plan! Lots of pictures...

10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This is exactly the sort of story I love for my magazine. Document as much as possible and I could run with your photos and story! I'll be in Maranello for the Concours and look for you there.

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #11 roma1280, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok I guess it is a go!
    Here is the route. According to mapquest it's over 1,000 miles and around 20 hours of driving.

I am starting to think about what I might need for the trip.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #12 roma1280, Jul 22, 2017
    Took the car for a nice drive today. This was the view this morning in the garage.
    The seats are comfortable but I don't think I have ever driven the car for much longer than an hour and a half without stopping. I think some extra lumbar support would be good, especially for some of these 5 hour stints.

13. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    So beautiful ...... neat trip.

MDS

14. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Few things i think I'll need:

- run cigarette lighter to battery for charger for phone
    - suction cup to hold phone to windshield
    - lumbar pillows (i have a couple I am testing, will post)
    - small cooler for drinks
    - need to figure out where to keep coffee travel mug, either get cooler with place in top or maybe suction cup, cup holder. I guess they didn't need caffeine in 1958 as much as we do now.
    - product to treat windshield for rain. Don't want to have to rely on windscreen wipers
    - original toolkit for show
    - modern toolkit with jack, knockoff hammer etc
    - original books for show
    - modern copy of owners manual in case i need to look anything up
    - front license plate holder and Florence plates from 1958 which will be fedexed - see thread http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific/556732-no-front-plate-switzerland.html
    - some sort of hearing protection for long motorway runs at speed (maybe Bose headphones)
    - sundry spares (oil filter, triangle, yellow vest, breathalyzer kit, spark plugs, sundry tape, safety wire, towels, any other spares i can think of)
    - cigarette lighter tire pump
    - maybe try one of those Bluetooth tire pressure monitoring things. I always have tire pressure anxiety when driving a car without sensors.

I am sure i will think of other stuff. Will post pics as i start putting everything together.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Wow! Epic doesn't begin to cover this!

Suggestions:

Power pack instead of cig lighter- for phone power- I don't know if I would want to connect electronics into the car- my guess is its fine- but call me conservative.

Rain-x for windshield? Could you see about fitting modern wiper blades? Then swap them out when you get close?

Interesting about the BT tire pressure..

I wonder if there is some way to arrange a follow car with a tech support crew/ spares etc. Does the rally cover that?

I would also suggest extra socks and foot wear. Uncomfortable feet= miserable trip.

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Definitely want some quality headphones and a source of music, podcasts, whatever. I know it's sacrilege to suggest NOT enjoying the V12 the entire time but I don't think it's realistic. I've found a good musical soundtrack makes a road trip and when you hear the songs later in life it sparks memories of said trips.

Might have an easily accessible list of dealers/shops that fall along your route should you need assistance. Keep it on the phone for quick link to GPS.

17. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Few comments based on experience:
    1. If car is properly prepared i.e. Carburation ( problem when too rich and going around cities,,take a spare set of plugs,,) electrics ( key issue) and brakes ( mountain roads on drum brakes is challenging) , it is not a difficult challenge.
    2. By any means, limit the drain on the battery or carry a spare charged battery with you. Rain with wipers, driving with head lights , electric fan etc will drain more than possible, we see that all the time in MM. Forget putting any device for charging, cooling or warming your mug. Take a separate system. In best case you will empty your battery, in worst case fumes will come somewhere from under the dashboard.
    3. Don't worry about tires, at the speed you will go and if you check visually your tires everytime you stop , this is more than enough.
    4. Too last comments, avoid motorways as they are (a) boring, (b) dangerous with all the idiots who want to see the car, want to test your speed and have no ideas of your braking distances ( never follow a modern car too closely, your braking distance is at least 2 times more ) and not good for your engine ( most classic cars have a short ratio and keeping high revs like 6000 rpm for ever is never good for an engine, how well built it is just because of the oil circulation flow). The other comment is on the road, I don't know the details of the itinerary from Zurich to Milan, but avoid the Saint Gottard ( or gottardo in Italian ) every week end there is a 2 to 3 hours queue to reach the tunnel,and even if you want to take the pass, you are stopped by the queue waiting for the tunnel. These are the German going to Italy and back. From Zurich go to Chur and take the San Bernardino , it is a parallel valley, and you will avoid most of the traffic jam. Or if you have a map, alternatively, in Andermatt, don't take the San Gotthard, take left ( or East) in the direction of Oberalp pass, and then south via the Lukmanier pass, very nice landscape and no traffic until you arrive in Bellinzona. ( you understand I live in Switzerland and take those roads all the time!)

All this is based on experience , I drove my TDF from Gstaad to Paris for Tour Auto , did Tout Auto with an LM without assistance, and drove my 250MM from Maranello to Gstaad via the Gottardo in late October on a week day, with snow on the north side,,, the 250 SWB several times from Switzerland to Paris , and more recently an Alfa Romeo TI Super from Zurich to Parma via the Simplon ( in June) and a hell of an hail storm, and collecting it back next Friday driving it back!
    So good luck , don't stress, have a spare battery for your phone not for music, ( again listening to the engine noise is important to figure out what is happening) but calling support if need be. I suggest you have a proper rescue service, TCS in Switzerland is extremely reliable, no or bad experience in France, No idea on Italy,,relying on correspondant of the RAC is very challenging because of language ,,and ultimately who pays and who talk to them..

Having friends around in each country is more efficient, I had to abandon my TDF in middle of Tour Auto ( left it to co driver and then car had a gasoline leak,,) and from meeting room in London I was able to arrange a local tranporter to pick it up 2 hours later, put it on his flatbed and deliver it to Switzerland, 500 miles form there next day..
    So look at club members you know or people you met in other tours, actually I drove the 275GTB from Switzerland to Maranello for the 2004 275 Tour via the Grand Saint Bernard ( the pass, not the tunnel) drove in the tour and drove it back to Switzerland...

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    As this is an official factory tour with an experienced organiser I would hope the backup provided for participants will be comprehensive

OP: I'm sure you'll have a ball

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    hahahahaha!!
    Excellent joke.
    And you really do think the "organisers" have ever heard of the model 250 GT Tour de France Berlinetta?

Take the good advice of BIRA (post #17), I know the man and his cars and he is really qualified and experienced and what he says is absolutely correct (with one exception, it is not just the Germans that completely block Swiss autobahns, it is also the thousands of Dutch with their campers and trailers).

Marcel Massini

20. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mark

While in London you really should stop by (with 0895 GT) at Salon Prive at Blenheim Palace Saturday, 2nd September 2017. Lots of great Ferraris at this wonderful show, it will be a special Ferrari Concours with 70 Ferraris.

Marcel Massini

21. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Is there any information what type of Ferraris will take part in the trip? And what type of roads are you going? Motorways or country roads?

If the trip is only on motorways and the other cars are all more or less modern ones, don't waste your time. Ship the car to Maranello and enjoy it there. There are still many roads to enjoy much more than endless hours on motorways with maybe heavy traffic.

One remark to Bira's suggestion to cross the Alps on the Bernardino pass (almost 2,500 mts but very spectacular - I did it once in my 275 GTB/6c) is that you might encounter some carb setting issues. If you always drive at around sea level you might have to readjust them once above 1,500 mts. On the other hand don't do the long tunnels. They can be scary in an old race car.

22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Some motoring advice coming from the US.

Get a Garmin and use that instead of your iPhone. Preload the Garmin with your entire route and load up each segment for each day. No data fees but you do have to buy the European maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/552012

As for more rules, it is of course illegal to touch your iPhone while driving in Europe. Get a hands free bluetooth earpiece.

It is *probably* illegal to have headphones on too. I'd check that one out first.

23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #23 roma1280, Jul 23, 2017
    Thank you for comments.

Yes agree on power pack. This lithium pack will apparently jump start a suburban and has 2 USB chargers

I think better blades are a non starter so I will experiment with the rain X next time it's pouring.

24. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #24 roma1280, Jul 23, 2017
    Here is battery info, the capacity is 16,500 mAh and an iPhone 6 has a capicity of 2,750 mAh so I think that means this will fully charge your phone 6 times. Maybe someone clever can explain what this means.

25. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #25 roma1280, Jul 23, 2017
    Yes I have ordered one. I agree wth the comment that not really needed but seemed like a fun gadget to have. Will test and report back.