Thoughts on aftermarket exhausts | FerrariChat

Thoughts on aftermarket exhausts

Discussion in '348/355' started by dvelez2, Jul 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dvelez2

dvelez2 Karting

Jan 20, 2016
    Full Name:
    Daniel A. Velez
    I'd like to hear opinions on aftermarket exhausts. Tubi, Capristo, Nouvalari, etc. Thoughts on pricing, sound, performance and must have Vs not needed components like straight pipes etc. I'm about to get the major service on my 1991, 348TS done and want to take advantage of that for the upgrade. Thanks!

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    There are lots of these threads and each one ends the same... personal preference. ;)

Crazy enough, I like the OEM single can exhaust. But I currently have a Tubi with OEM cats. Nothing spectacular, really. My next project is swapping out the cats with Tubi straight pipes.

3. dvelez2

dvelez2 Karting

Jan 20, 2016
    Full Name:
    Daniel A. Velez
    Thanks Wade! Quick question. Are all straight pipes the same across brands? I would think so.

4. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    In my opinion, Kreissieg makes the best sound.

5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I am currently running:

Fabspeed headers
    High Flow Cats
    Tubi Tube-only

Vroooom!

It's loud. :)

EDIT: Ooops. I see this is a 348 thread. My set-up is on the 355.

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, they all pretty much replicate the OEM pipes for non-cat cars. In other words, bungs and connectors for the 02 sensors and thermocouples.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348-1989-1992/exhaust-system-not-for-catalytic-vehicles.html

I took advantage of the exchange rate and bought mine from Eurospares. "Each" means one pair.

Tubi Style exhausts - Ferrari 348 | Order Online Eurospares

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I'm simple

I want the biggest tube free flowing exhaust and dont care what the sound is described as

:)

8. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

#9 F355Bob, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    There is a huge range of possibilities out there. Do you prefer something toned down and more classic sounding? A higher pitched wail? How loud, aggressive or ear-splitting?

For me personally, I prefer the higher pitched wail that accompanies a set of cat-delete pipes, and opted for a valved level 3 Capristo. It is damn loud with valves closed, and ear-splitting open. It has a gritty, throaty, ripping wail... my 348 flies by at 3:47 (valves closed here):
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGRfsLfCNiE&t=239s[/ame]

A friend has a set of cat-delete pipes paired to the race version of the X-Ost muffler on his 348 Spider. Similar volume as mine with valves closed, similar wail, but a bit smoother and more refined tone... less of a throaty/gritty texture to the sound. Minute differences, and an extremely nice sounding setup, especially for the money.

The kreissieg tends to get the nod as one of the best sounding, though I have a hard time finding any difference against Capristo...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOYH9z0OVm0&t=233s[/ame]

...and actually kind of funny how similar it sounds from the outside to the F355 in its sister video:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAzfLku7Vc&t=501s[/ame]

10. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    re. 348 options.

1. What suggestions for a smooth F1 scream, but not loud.

2. Gothspeed - love his work - but what's the sound like for 348

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    1) Ear plugs.
    2) Headphones with active noise cancelation.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Is trying to make the 348 sound like an F1 car asking more than what it can do? A big part of the F1 scream is the high RPM range. The RPM redline for the 348 is only 7400.

Better chances with the 355 (redline at 8500).

13. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    I really like my Nouvalari Super Sport with straight pipes. It is quite loud, but I have gotten many complements on the sound. Finally my Ferrari sounds like a Ferrari, and I love it! Although I bought direct from Nouvalari, to do it again I would buy from Superformance, without a doubt its the same exhaust for less $$$

14. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    One of Tim's chip sets or another aftermarket provider will take quick care of that :)

15. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    How fast do you spin yours to?

16. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
  17. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    I have the Tubi w/ Hyper Flow Cats. Love the F1 sound going through tunnels ��

If I had to buy another exhaust, I would look at Capristo

18. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Don't flame me for this but why are 355 owners so hung up on the sound of the car? I don't really hear talk about what gives the most performance but just the sound. most reviewers of the car always say performance is just ok, pretty slow, but the sound is fantastic. Does that bother anybody else? To me a sports car's first priority is performance. Goth's exhaust gave me 22rwhp on a dyno, sound is not so high pitched but more throaty. Rather have the 20rwhp than a few decibel higher pitch.

19. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    This is a 348 thread ;)

To your point, these are 20-30 year old Italian sports cars. Not fast, not cutting edge, and a 6,7,8hp delta between various exhaust options, frankly doesn't matter much. Many family sedans are quicker, and as such the focus is on the visceral sporting experience that they provide... the aesthetics, the raw sports car feel, the exotic mechanicals... and the sound. I don't wake up at 4am to seek out speed on deserted roads... I do it to revel in the aforementioned. Ferraris are renowned for the sound of their engines, and particularly this era of v8, so it's natural and logical that it is a primary point of focus when picking out the voice of the car, over eking out the last couple of ponies. Either way with an aftermarket unit with test pipes, it is leaps and bounds better from the oem unit anyway.

mshobe likes this.
  20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The sound is one of the best and most unique things about the car.

I remember years ago before buying my first F355 trying to decide what car I wanted to buy, watching videos online.

When I found some F355 highway blast videos I was amazed. Just the video gave me a shot of adrenaline. No such response from watching 993TT videos. (one of the other cars I considered)

Yes I care about performance but if max power was my first and foremost concern no Ferrari would be on my shopping list.

21. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Sorry didn't mean to take over a 348 thread.

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Ha ha good one

23. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If you want the ultimate in high pitch sound (for the audience) at speed with stable, non droning travel speed enjoyment with the gates of hell unleashed at 4-8k then Tubi with hyperflow cats are the best setup.

If you like LOUD, Cappy 3 with straight pipes. Drives me nuts but certainly gets the kiddies off the street.

24. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry