Lancia Stratos Replica - Lister Bell | FerrariChat

Lancia Stratos Replica - Lister Bell

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Bill_OBrien, Aug 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Check out the website of the Lister Bell STR. Seems to be a very nice replica of the Lancia Stratos. In my communication with the company the shipping charges to the US seem quite reasonable too.

http://ListerBell.com

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

interesting. this is a replica that would be exciting to own and drive. i wonder how it compares to the hawk package? i have to imagine that if this car is dimensionally exact to the original...add a hot rod alfa 164 v-6 and you will have a screamer!!!!!

can anyone weigh in on the specs and compare to the real article?

pcb

3. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    In doing my research on the various Stratos replicas the Lister Bell STR is a much more complete package than the Hawk. The team at Lister Bell has been quite responsive with answering any quesions that I have and seem quite willing to finish the car to any degree desired by the buyer.

I think the STR is near enough to an original to have one hell of an amazing car which would definitely be unique and have some very respecible performance!

One thing I love about the STR is that it has a Gelcoat finish which can be ordered from the factory with a polished finish.... no paintwork needed!!! That is always a stumbling block for an enthusiast like me who has the mechnical ability to build his own car but is not proficiant with body / paint work.

4. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Just found out about this company a few days ago and wondering if anyone on here has looked into building one of these? It looks like it was engineered well. Anyone have some first hand experience with this car/company?

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have seen their site. Besides heelsbase and bodywork its not reallya startos, so will handle differently, it may be a great car nevertheless.
    I dotnk know what bits go intot heir build, what follows is generic advice.

If youre lookign at a Kit car, pay lots of attention to things like brakes used, what type of master and slave cylinders. Wheel bearings used and what type, are they sealed etc, Where does the steering rack come from, what bushings etc.
    Has somone run one of these cars extensively on track, can you talk to them and find out what if anything fails.

Many companies tout for example willwood brakes, but there are several versions and many are crap. Willwood master cylinders will fail, tilton will not.

Now the standard stuff may work for a street cruiser, but not last in anger.

6. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Top Gear tested one a number ago years ago from a viewer who wasn't too pleased by the way TG handled the car. I believe Clarkson wasn't to pleased by the way the car itself handled.

Autocar has the best vid. about it though;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvs5jRi4h80

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    a co-workers brought over his stunning lister with gr4 body work with a alfa v6 motor. he did a fantastic build. its nicer than a real stratos in many respects id say since ive been in a couple of those too. one was actually a factory alitalia gr4 rally car with proper patina. but hey...its the real thing so the comparisons are mute!

ive also been in a handful of hawk(now transformer?) stratos. but that was many years ago. from what i remember the hawks look more authentic to me than the lister. the lister was apparently engineered as a true drivers car rather than a just replica. judging by the stout cage and structural members, i expect the chassis would be a look stiffer than the hawk or the real deal.

8. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    That was actually a hawk stratos not the LB stratos that top gear tested.

I have one that I'm building right now. Ask me anything.

9. Ghibli Cup #11

Ghibli Cup #11 Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Are you using Alfa running gear? Where are you registering the car? Are you building it yourself? I watch the Steve Sutcliffe video over and over, the car is very desirable.

10. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Yes. Using the alfa 164 12 valve v6.

Registering in u.s. if you want a specific state/city pm me.

Yes, I am building it myself. Overall the kit goes together very well and the gel coat is damn near perfectly glossy. I however will be painting mine as there are a few imperfections that will just bother me. However there are also quite a few in the UK who haven't painted their kit.

I used to watch the Steve Sutcliffe video over and over as well lol. As far as the value goes, once completed quite a few hawk cars go for around +60k usd for decent condition. The listerbell's I think go for the same or 10k more. The waiting list is pretty long if I remember right. LB is a small operation, less than say 5 or 10 people max. They are more than willing to do bespoke requests that are within reason as well which is one of the nice things about them.

I think there are maybe 5 or 10 u.s. cars and the number may have gone up recently. There are also two that I know of corse I chassis that have an LB body on them, on the west coast.

11. Ghibli Cup #11

Ghibli Cup #11 Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Do you know of any LB owners in CA? If so, do you know anything about the process of registering one in CA? From what I've read the only option is to build yourself and I do not have the time or place for that. How many hours is the build taking? Thanks.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I ran Willwood 4 piston calipers on my last club race car and it was raced hard and won a club series ... no problems.

I think with all kitcars, or self built race cars, it is the ability of the builder that matters more than the components ...
    Pete

13. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Yes. One of the corse I owners is named Paul. It's not a LB chassis but he put the LB stratos body on it. He lives in norcal I think. I'll pm you the info to get ahold of him.

Also, if you're trying to get around the self build, why not have LB do it and drop a 164 motor and gearbox in? I'm not specific on the California regs especially on emissions but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that?

14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I've been looking at the LB kit option for a fun project to keep myself busy the next couple years... I love the idea of using 164 running gear. Plentiful, rebuildable and inexpensive.

Was there a specific reason not to employ the 24v 3.0 engine offered in the 164LS from '94 on? I'm driving one now that I upgraded with a Squadra ECU chip and the Q-spec intake runners... so I like to imagine I'll drop it in the LB kit when the time comes..

Cheers,
    - Art

15. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Aside from getting the motor and gearbox for free :D ......

The power outputs are pretty close for less parts, the 12v motor is a little bit lighter and the oil pan is deeper on the 12v. There a some other ones as well but I don't remember and they were pretty menial. I think the motor mounts for the 12v and 24v are different however and if you do end up ordering your kit will need to let them know which motor you plan to use.

So to answer your question, there really isn't much of an advantage to one over the other.

16. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    There was a yellow Hawk kit I'd see in Pennsylvania that had a modified 308 engine.

17. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks - right - you won't notice the difference. The stock 24v is 207hp/270ftlb vs the 12v at 200/256ftlb. With some easy mods I'm sure you know you can increase it 25-35hp - or throw more money to jump even higher.. Have fun with the project. It would be great to see any progress pics you care to share here..

Best,
    - Art

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    How is the build coming along?

I'm thinking of a Lister Bell myself.

Matt

19. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    It's going really good!

I try to finish one sub system a month, but have had a pretty busy summer. So, haven't made as much progress as I would have liked. I will post pictures once I get her on her wheels.

LB just finished their str le mans car: Lister Bell STR Le Mans

If you are considering buying one you should go for it now, as the exchange rate is pretty damn good at the moment.

20. ferraripete

I had contacted them twice. once through their facebook page and once directly. I indicated that I wanted to be contact so that we could put together an order for a car.

never was I responded to. I thought it was a bit strange. the car seems to be an amazing replica...maybe as exacting as one could create. customer service and business acumen seems nonexistent.

21. ferraripete

i do think this car seems amazing and i would love to replicate the car Sutcliff tests in the video. i cannot think of a cooler car for me. fastback, i will follow your build closely!!

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The LeMans car looks off, but I would appreciate a longer wheelbase and interior room.

Exchange rate is great now. I'm thinking of getting a completed car from LB.

Matt

23. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    I hear you. Getting in touch with them can prove difficult.
    And frustrating. The reason for that is because it is just a husband and wife operation. I think the chassis welding is done by a contract guy. So really at most you have two people that will ever get in touch. If you really want to get a hold of Craig, (the owner/designer of the LB chassis) go to the stratos enthusiast club website and bug him. I can pm you his handle over there if you like as well.

The le man's project also ate up a lot of their time as I had been bugging them for months to buy a few parts and didn't even know this project was going on. I would say to give it another shot.

EDIT: I'll start throwing in a few pics on here. I didn't think anyone would be interested in it because it's a replica and a lot of members here tend to look down on that.

24. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The Lister Bell looks well engineered and as a good fun car it seems to have had good reviews.

25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #25 jm2, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nothing wrong with a well done replica in my book.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login