Sell 997 Turbo S for California 30, is it a good idea? | FerrariChat

Sell 997 Turbo S for California 30, is it a good idea?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by OwenC, Aug 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Hi! I know its not an apples to apples comparison but may I know honest opinions about replacing a 997.2 Turbo S with a California 30? Like every car guy, having an opportunity to own a Ferrari is sort of a childhood dream. But unfortunately, I'm willing to have only one "exotic" toy in my garage for financial discipline.

The TTS grips really well, super fast once turbo kicks in, plus I like the fact that I can enjoy the car discretely. But on the negative side, the ride is quite harsh (vs a 991 TTS I tested) and the vacuum engine sound s not exactly inspiring. While the car is really engaging, its precision can be a little bit boring at times.

I'm a little worried if I'll miss the power/handling of the TTS as the California might be too "soft" (unfortunately no way for me to test drive as even regular P-cars are very rare where I'm from). But as this will purely be a weekend car just like the TTS, the driving experience (visual, aural, sensory feelings) is very important for me as it's one of my few ways of relaxation. I don't do track days so the car will be spirited public road driving.

Just to share my experience with other cars, I currently have a BMW M4 in M/T for my manual cravings and it has good power delivery, plus comfy yet sporty enough. By the way, on another note, will the California be more focused than say the M4? Then I also have several SUV's so DD chores are filled up by others.

Thanks!

2. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You should make sure to get the HS package that is talked about at length in many threads. Will take away the softness you are worried about. Tough to compare Porsche to Ferrari, but in my opinion the Ferrari has far more of a soul. There is just something special about driving one that I've never felt in a Porsche (noting that I've never driven a GT or 918)

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hi Owen... Welcome to F-chat. I was in a similar boat, although a notch down and a generation earlier. I own both a 997.2S and 1st gen Cali. As mentioned above, the HS package seems the way to go from the owner's comments I've read on F-chat. Hands down, Ferrari wins for sound and sense of occasion. IMO, Porsche 911 is more of a sports car - steering is better (however, this is the difference between great and sublime) in the Porsche, it's more of a sports car and the Cali is more of a GT. At least given the way I typically use them. Porsche grips the road better in twisty turns than Cali. The Cali accelerates unbelievably, even my first gen. At 100+ mph it's just getting comfortable, and its obvious there's much more pull to go. The Cali will certainly get more attention than the Porsche if you're in a town with few high end cars, as I am. If this matters at all, the 911 back seats are much more useful than the Cali back seats. My 30 lb terrier fits and just barely. It's great for luggage and groceries though!

If it were me, I'd ditch one of the SUVs and use the Porsche more for DD duties, airport runs, etc.! Keep the Cali for fun. Then keep an SUV or pickup truck for when reality or bad weather intervenes.

T

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have owned both a cali 30 HS and a 911TTS,.. Try the cali you will like it I sold mine when I bought a 12cyl Ferrari then I purchased a 911TTS ..I really miss the cali30HS ....
    will probably eventually buy another cali or its replacement.. great car..

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I owned a 14 991tts for almost three years and traded it for my 17 Cali T HS. Don't miss the Porsche at all. The Cali T is plenty fast but obviously not as fast as the Porsche. The Cali T sounds better, drives better and it's not difficult to get in and out of. All around, it's the better car IMO. In this case both are turbo. In the Cali 30 case you get a NA engine and the car isn't as fast as the Cali T and won't push you back the same way because it's not a turbo. You will notice that for sure. However, it's got the NA sound so that is a plus.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Great point on egress and ingress. Definitely easier in the Cali. That being said, once in, the 911 seats are IMO a scoche comfier for longer road trips.
    T

7. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    I see, interesting comparison! In my case, it's between the previous generation of both cars. To be more precise, later editions of the previous generation 997.2 TTS (2011) vs Cali30 (2013).

I had a chance to check out the Cali and it does feel a bit softer vs the 997 but isn't bad at all. However, man, the looks and the sound of the Cali is incredible. While I don't like the public attention I'll be getting with an F-car, I do really find it a work of art and must be fun just staring in the garage. Probably an overused comparo but I do think that the P-car is like wife material while the F-car a hot mistress.

I wasn't expecting much as all the Youtube videos I've seen seems muted in comparison. But the engine sound is music for me yet seems not too scandalous that it'll wake up the whole neighborhood. I thought the Cali would sit high like say an AMG sedan but I was actually able to sit as low as I wanted to. And yes, ingress/egress is like the 911's so not too much effort unlike other sports cars.

I'm curious, for ground clearance (e.g. parking driveways), do you think the Cali is similar to a 911 more or less? I wasn't able to check that part but since it has a daily use reputation, I'm expect it shouldn't be too bad.

Anyway, photos/videos and actually seeing one is really different and I'm liking it so far...

By the way, thanks for the feedback so far. I'm unsure if it has HS package. Any way to check if it has the feature visually? Unfortunately, there's only 1 pre-owned for sale that I know of at this time.

8. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You have to see the window sticker or spec sheet. Only other way to tell on the 13/14s is you could also elect to get the front grill in silver

In terms or ride height I had mine dropped almost an inch to make it sit better and I haven't had any trouble with bottoming out but I try to be careful

The normal ride height provides pretty decent clearance

In terms of sound you can also have the vacuum line disconnected for cheap so it maintains the sound at lower RPM

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Leaving the car in "comfort" mode when you're leaving the neighborhood helps a little bit. The Cali 30 is a great car, you want to make sure you get Magneride, the HS components can also be added later.

I have not found the clearance to be any different from any of the numerous 911s I've daily driven -- my car has not been lowered, though. You just want to be careful.

The sound of the car with the top down is wonderful compared to the Porsche, no doubt. I look for any excuse to drive mine, and yes, it's great to look at in the garage, too.

I sent you a PM : )

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #10 wrs, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I still have to be careful about driveways but it's higher than curb stops so they aren't a problem whereas they were with the Porsche. Overall, it's a little easier in terms of speed bumps and bumpy roads. What I like about the HS package on the T is that the magneride button allows a smoother ride on bad roads, i.e. many of the ones in Austin. Here is my comparison photo. The clearance on the Porsche was about 4" while on the Cali T it is 5" as close as I can tell. Another benefit of the Ferrari is that you can open the hood and look at the engine and the V8 sounds better than the boxer IMO.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Got to test drive the unit today as the car broker brought the Cali 30 to my home. I can see that it can clear speed bumps and driveways easily just like my 911.

But I noticed that some of the Ferrari controls/buttons are quite different from regular cars so it is something I'll have to get used to.

By the way, how can I tell if the Cali has Magneride feature? Is there any button to adjust suspension settings? Because I didn't notice any.

Thanks!

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The Cali does not have a separate "bumpy road" button like the 458 has. To stiffen the suspension, you need to turn the manettino to "sport." Not sure how to be certain the car has Magneride except to have the dealer run the VIN through MODIS and get a readout of the options. It is a worthwhile option to get, however. The Cali T has that button.

FWIW, I found that the original Cali (mine was an '11) lacked excitement. It wasn't slow, but it seemed like it was mostly noise, and there was no sense of a rush to the redline. It handled fairly well despite more body roll than you'd expect in a sports car (so it's really more of a GT). The Cali 30, esp. with the HS package is much better.

But the depreciation curve was getting pretty steep, so I bailed on it and got a 991 turbo for my daily ride. It's much more a driver's car than my '11 Cali was. I sort of daily drove my Cali, and found the 991 better at that, too. If I were to get a Cali today, I'd either get the T, or a 30 with HS.

13. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    #13 OwenC, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I finally traded my 997 for the Cali 30. I also found out that the Cali has the HS package after a friend in the dealership did a VIN check for me. The list mentions HSHS code with description "Pacchetto Handling Speciale" (translates to Special Handling Package).

I'm curious, does HS package affect the engine sound as well? Even in Comfort mode and driving slowly late at night, the alarm system of a few cars parked on the street tends to go off.

Also, I noticed that steering is very sensitive and much lighter than my 997 (although not Audi light). Is this a characteristic of the HS package or are all Cali's like this in general?

Since the car has HS package, is it possible to have Magneride as well? What is the code for Magneride in the Ferrari list (please see attached).

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find another Cali for comparison as F-cars are extremely rare for us.

Thanks for all your advice!

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looks like no on the magneride, if I am reading your screen capture correctly.
    Congrats on the new Cali.
    T

15. Jmci00

Jmci00 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
    Magneride is included with the HS package.

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The lighter quicker steering is part of the HS package which also includes the magnaride
    I felt that the engine had a better sound on my 2013 cali HS ..it sounds like you found what i would consider a nicely equiped car...

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

+1

18. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Cool! Nice to know and the the 20" mags that came with the Cali looks just right with the large wheel wells :)

19. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    congrats! great spec... setting off car alarms should give you a sense of pride, unless you like your neighbors :)

20. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    I noticed that the Cali has a lot of carbon panels like the engine cover, inner door panels, center column where door window switches are, center aircon vents, steering wheel (with LED tach), exterior rear panel where number plate is, etc. But when I see photos online, I see Cali photos with carbon panels on some of the parts only.

Are these carbon panels separate options each? I'm curious, what is the cost value for these? I looks good and nice to have although not necessary of course.

21. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Interestingly, I drove a 2015 911 Turbo S cabriolet on Friday. Low miles, loaded, perfect car. Right off the bat I noticed that the steering felt much heavier than my Cali 30. The car is seriously fast ... with no drama whatsoever. It sounds like ... a watercooled 911 with a turbo. Very different from the normally aspirated Ferrari, of course. Wastegate sighing, turbos whistling. The exhaust makes these deep popcorn popping noises when you are down shifting or even taking your foot off the accelerator -- I found this to be annoying. On a regular 991.1 you could turn off the sport exhaust and get rid of that. Can't do it on the Turbo. Interior felt spartan but the ergonomics are very good -- but I am accustomed to 911s, having drove them daily for years. Car felt solid, super competent and very quick. Was really considering it ... I could put snows on and use it all winter, could valet park it with no worries, drive it anywhere without thinking twice like I do with the Ferrari. Then I got back in my Cali 30 and 300 yards from the dealership I just said out loud, "Oh, hell no ..." the car felt razor sharp, all that good naturally aspirated power was under my right foot, the engine was roaring, exhaust was burbling and triple blipping on the downshifts with the rifle crack on the upshifts ... forget about it.

But if anyone wants a 991.1 Turbo S cab (black over red), you can get a good deal on a nice one if you contact Jamie at Ferrari of New England.

tomc likes this.
  22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    LOL!

23. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    A quick way for me to identify if a car has the HS package is the dedication plaque on the rear part of the armrest.

Picture here: Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I am facing the same issue, I used to own a 911 turbo and I replaced it w a 488... the turbo was a good DD but the ride was very hard and no passion when u compare it w an F car... but for one reason or another I do miss my 911... so now I am thinking of either buying a turbo s or a Portifino.... I am afraid that I will regret buying a turbo s because of the uncomfortable ride abd because of the lack of passion !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Just a quick update, I actually ended up not selling the TTS anymore.

The nice things with the Cali are that its spacious, comfortable enough, and enjoyable to drive even without breaking speed limits as I find just listening to the engine/transmission and the overall feel quite special. It's true what everyone says that driving an F-car is an event in itself. The TTS on the other hand, tends to be sort of ordinary unless you start driving it very fast which is really impressive. But it is also true that the car feels quite cold vs the F-car.

I guess they are very good in their own ways so I decided to keep both. :)

tomc likes this.