Countach Prices dropping? | FerrariChat

Countach Prices dropping?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by frached, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frached

frached Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Fares Rached
    We all know how Countach prices doubled in 2014 but I have noticed a a definite flattening if not a pullback over the past year. I figured I would present this to the audience here because you guys are the experts and I am noticing quite a number of later model Countach's on the market, some as low as 225k. Also wondering why the 88 1/2's are supposed to be worth a little more then say an 88 QV, it can't have anything to do with Chrysler. Is now the time to buy one of these or it time to consider selling?

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think its a great time to buy a Countach, in fact, I see the trading market for great cars firming up a bit after the correction of the last couple years, your timing might just be impeccable.

3. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Sell. Myself and a few others I talk to believe the market definitely still has some leveling out to do. The best way to put it: The people that want them, have them, the people that don't want them are selling them. If you look at why values jumped 3 years ago, the whole thing was really silly. It all ahd to do with a bidder who wanted his old LP400 back bidding a really high number on his CT. Everyone thought their cars were suddenly worth way more and then they shot up.

4. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Did I miss something Ian? Did you purchase a Countach? Or have you changed your mind and you don't want one now?

I am just busting your balls, so don't take it to heart. Sincerely Vic

5. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Hahaha. EDIT: *Everyone except for me! :D

I hope you're doing well, Vic! :)

6. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    I am doing well. Keep working hard and I am sure things will turn out fine.

I had a dream of owning a Countach in the early 1980's.
    It finally came true some twenty years later.

Don't give up. Sincerely Vic

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ian, relax.

The notion that Simon Kidston caused the ascent of Countach values 3 years ago by his high-bid on that single LP400 is as patently false & ridiculous as the one you previously espoused that I am responsible for all Miuras being multi-million dollar cars! If either was true, so too would the notion that Simon & I are soon getting together to rule the world.

Are you seriously asking as to believe that there was not already a market-frenzied collector-car ascent ongoing amongst all collectible Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis (including all variants of Countach) et al at the time Simon purchased that car? You realize that there are full-time professionals who track & record any & all numbers data for sports cars including Lamborghinis on an ongoing basis?

A rising tide raises all ships, and Simon's car was not the only seven-figures Countach to sell, nor, in fact, did it's price achieved have much effect on overall Countach values, as they started downwards soon thereafter!

Outlandish conspiracy theories will never help you get a Countach, and nobody seriously clued-in to the market believes them anyway. In 30 years of playing with these cars, I have never seen any one individual achieve their dreams of owning a Countach by trying to talk the market down, try as some may, its a completely futile endeavor. If you want a Countach, like everyone else, you'll have to pay what it takes at that time.

I'd like to suggest to you what will get you a Countach is one basic thing, hard work, resulting in making you more than sufficient money to buy whatever you want. That, and remaining positive, striving to learn about the cars and the real market, and networking with the right people. My honest feeling is, if you adopted a more positive attitude towards the market, your goal of owning a Countach would actually happen sooner.

I'd also like to add that nobody is conspiring against you or anyone else, and personally I'd be happy to help you in any way I can, for free, like I do a significant number of people who remain positive, work hard, and seek the best help they can find. There are a number of people reading this who can back up that statement, the latest of which is a local-to-me airline engineer who just achieved a long-term dream of owning a Countach (LP500S). I had no affiliation with the car, yet, he politely asked me if I would help him buy it. I said, of course, and as a result he has called me half-a-dozen times and I have encouraged, guided & advised him along the way to successful ownership. He is so excited. The point I am trying to make in a long-winded way is, rather than people conspiring against your dreams, there are actually people out there who can & will help you, if you take the right perspective. It is my pleasure to help anyone who is open-minded, fair, and values experience, I do it all the time.

Anyway, in summation, whilst I realize that you may never need my help, hard work & timing is what gets Countachs, talking the market down doesn't help.

Exactly.

8. Ciro Izzo

Ciro Izzo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2005
    Anyone with the means to buy the Countach of their dreams would be wise to buy now.

There is one thing for sure . Market pricing will either go up or down.

Place your bet while you're driving the wildest production car ever created .

9. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wouldn't bet on this. There is nearly an entire generation of car enthusiasts that have yet to reach their peak earning potential who would love to own a Countach but don't yet have the means to do so.

The time to buy one is when you can afford to do so, your lifestyle permits, and the right opportunity is in front of you. Don't worry too much about short term ups and downs in the market; it won't mean much in the long run.

Best of luck reaching your dream, we all know the feeling of wanting a Countach!

10. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Agree,the perfect answer,

11. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Sometimes you just have to go for it

Sure we all want to price it right, and our Countachs will rise in value.
    I think most here see more than just a car with four wheels and doors that go up.

Increased value is just a perk

12. Ciro Izzo

Ciro Izzo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2005
    I read and saved this post years ago because I thought it was very true of the Countach Market. Very well written, not by me :).

I believe that very expensive cars go thru several stages before become very expensive collector cars. (1) As said, first they are usually expensive and that said, are purchased by people with large disposable wealth or incomes...and equally disposed for the "next" thing to have or be seen in. (2) Next owner is looking for a deal and buys at a discount...usually could not afford car new. (3) 3rd - 4th owner is probablly someone that picks up the car relatively cheap compared to new...several years or more down the line, when it's yesterdays car for sure and not many wealthy people would care to be seen in one at their favorite restaurant, etc. (4) Here's where it becomes interesting...if the car is truly a collector machine, wealth will find and embrace it again...once this starts to happen and it happens fast sometimes, these cars can not only rise in value, but usually when people, again with large disposable wealth, view the car as collectable, then it's at the final stage and the normal enthusiast is left with only memorys...and very little hope of owning one again.
    -------------------------
    This is not meant to be gloomy for future owners still dreaming about the Countach. It's more of a call to get up and try your hardest to make something happen now while it's still relatively affordable! I hope everyone achieves the dream who hasn't yet!

13. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    I am currently looking for 3, YES, 3 European Spec 5000S Countach examples in White for 3 different clients all between the ages of 38 and 52. All want lower miles, and don't mind if its the cult-like Downdraft or an earlier Side-draft car.

They all have a very nice newer exotic car collection and want to finally take the leap into the car they have always dreamed and admired... the Countach.

Mark my words, the Countach market will get very interesting.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's a positive perspective.

Totally agree with this, I must say I think my son's generation is even more enthusiastic & knowledgeable than mine.

Neat thread, thanks for the reminder.

Another positive perspective.

John given your assurance I am bracing myself :D but seriously, although I do not have as many actively looking as you do, I am finding my Ferrari Supercar-collecting base of clients asking a lot of questions, so qualified interest is there.

15. #16 EarlyCat, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't know the asking price, but Nsxr's checks all of the right boxes for me. I know, red, but WOW!!!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/other-cars/552382-1981-lamborghini-countach-lp400s-s3.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
  17. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

Damn.... I agree with Joe... For once.. :)

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Perhaps it's just easier to do than you've previously realized :eek: :)

19. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

Nope... not really... Only agree if you make sense...

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Unfortunately, this has been Ian's approach for the 3+ years I have been aware of him. I want a Boxer at least as much as Ian wants a Countach, and hope the market goes down, but I don't try to fight the market to match my limited viewpoint, just sit back, learn, and continue to save. If I get there, great, if not I'll buy something else with no regrets.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great attitude.

I think there will always be some nice opportunities that crop up every now & then for enthusiasts such as yourself that are desirous of getting into ownership, that's why networking and following the market pays, then you'll know when an opportunity feels right.

23. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Agree, i want a Boxer also, never driven a 512 bb, but i did drive a 365 bb, i really liked it,very tame and relaxed(iloabw) compared to my Countach, not even close in power and acceleration,but i love its charm and looks, Probably a 512 in yellow, would be my choice,lot less $ than the 365. Will wait for the right deal

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Right, you don't buy a Boxer to go all fast and furious, its 350 hp-ish that feels vintage but has good V-12 power delivery.

The last time I had adequate funds, I chose a '99 Diablo Roadster instead. The Diablo has reasonably modern performance (3.8 to 60), but a classic feel.

Next time I want to scratch the Ferrari itch (if and when possible) and a Boxer would fit the bill wonderfully. The only other Ferraris I would consider would be a 550 or 458.