Windshields | FerrariChat

Windshields

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jcavalie, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hello!

So....I was driving my 330 GTC today - warm/sunny day, been a couple months since I took her for a spin, etc, and out of nowhere a stone hit my windshield - seriously - closest car was about 300 yards in front of me! It made a small chip that should be repairable (my windshield repair person is coming tomorrow to fix it).

But this got me thinking...if I was to actually break a windshield, are there good replacements available? Only ones I saw online were from Mr. Fiat, and maybe they are great, I have no idea. But I drive my car - probably 1-2k miles/year - so stuff like this is bound to happen. I have a spare Carello headlamp, just in case. But never really thought about the windshield or other glass.

Thanks all!

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It might be worth thinking about have protection film put on it. Its not great or so I'm told in every day use but 1-2000 miles a year it should work and then change it for the next season.
    They can also do your headlights.
    Worth looking into anyway.

3. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Interesting idea. I may well look into that. Thanks!

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    FYI, I do and have been producing & selling (worldwide) windshields, back & side windows for variety of exotic, obsolete & vintage cars, including Ferrari, for 20+ years. I also have a fairly extensive experience with curved automotive glass production for custom & one-off applications.
    Most of my customers would likely agree that even though mine may cost a bit or a lot more than some other reproductions, mine feature some proprietary quality details unmatch by anyone.
    Just couple of weeks ago I saw one of my jobs taking part of the tour & on the lawn at Pebble.

As for the "protection film", perhaps legal in the UK, but USDOT regulation deems it illegal to have such on a windshield of vehicle operated on public roads and streets, just like those dark tinted front side windows (That's why manufacturers and dealers of new vehicles don't offer them on new vehicles).
    I've heard of incidents where insurance coverage has been denied after a collision due to illegal tinting & know more than one person whom an LEO has made them remove such films in lieu of writing them up for it during traffic stop.

5. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks, TTR. Good to know that windshields can be made, if needed. And interesting that clear tinting isn't allowed on windshields, though I guess I'm not totally surprised as I wonder what windshield wipers would do to the plastic coating!

6. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    The same thing happened to me in my 330 GTC. A rock cracked the front windshield.

The problem for me was not the windshield--- but finding someone who could keep the Crome molding around the window. If that gets ruined, where do you get replacements??

Ken Goldman

7. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    What is your price for a windshield for a 330 GTC? PM if you prefer. I have a cracked original in a box that I could send to you to clone.

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Timo, bought a set of replacement Dino door glass, not vent, that has the wrong curvature and leaves a gap between the felt and glass. Can you help?

Regards, Alberto

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I'll PM my direct contact info.

10. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Quick update (and I guess I should have taken pictures): My window repair person came out this morning and repaired my chip. While whole thing was smaller than a dime and above field for view for driver, he said it was a complicated fix due to the crack twisting in the glass. He was able to fully fill it with resin and cure it. Outside looks like a very small smudge and inside you can see the hairlines from the chip if you look for them, but it is fixed and won't spread. So... on to more driving.

But I'm glad this thread is started as one day I'm sure either I or someone else won't be so lucky that it is repairable. So thanks and let's keep the conversation going!

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I might be able to help.
    I've been going through quite a bit of effort to get all Daytona glass manufactured to proper shapes & sizes, but think I finally have them all sorted and ready to sell soon. Had similar issues with the Daytona door glass, which are compound curved and conical, just like their rear quarter (side) glass.
    I'll email you directly later today or tomorrow.

12. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    I have a few as well

Daytona, 330, 275, BB, SWB etc

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Alberto, check your gmail.

Regards,
    Timo

14. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    I bought a new windshield from Matt at re-originals and it was perfect, except for the bug. I had the bug removed and a correct bug put on the windshield. I'm not sure of the process, but it is exactly as it was done in period. The windshield looks exactly as original and is indistinguishable from the original. Unfortunately making the bug was almost as expensive as the windshield. But, how many time do you replace the windshield, the price of perfection.

jcavalie likes this.
  15. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thank you! Good to know. I bought an original trunk carpet piece from him (was missing pieces glued to the trunk lid), and it is also perfect. Didn't notice they sold glass!