Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The more I look at this car, the more I like it and it is a quantum leap from the Cali T. Given we know it will drive so much better as well, I simply don't understand why some have a problem with it. From an aesthetic perspective, we are past the days when all you had to consider was cladding a chassis in a good looking shape, whereas today the conflicting demands of passenger safety, pedestrian safety, advanced aero, cost etc etc all tie the designers hands. Regretfully, those days will never return and we need to adjust our eyes and expectations into the future rather than the past.

good2go, MDEL, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  2. cmack

cmack Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Germany
    After having seen the new Portofino now several times over the past 5 days I truly love the design.
    IMO Ferrari has done a great Job. I also think the Name is great for that Kind of Ferrari. From what
    the car has to deliver on (2+2, hard top roof, safety regulations, front engine etc. etc.) I almost would say the Styling
    is a masterpiece.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  4. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    +1 - some people are just caught up in the past!

5. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    This car is a No - design, everythings give a cheap feeling. Seems like piece of differents cars in one. Absolutly terrific after seeing it...

gt_lusso likes this.
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    gt_lusso and maximilien like this.
  7. Savman

Savman Rookie

Aug 23, 2017
    Copenhagen
    Full Name:
    savvas manousos
    Some recent YouTube of the Portofino in hi-res. Looks fantastic!

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great posts, as always, Mario. Thank you for the comparative pictures. Thanks everyone for sharing your pics of the reveal.

All this this grief for the looks of the 1st gen Cali is making me sad. :( I had our 2011 out at a car show this weekend and 100+ people came up to see the car, and only one mentioned the big butt - a fellow Ferrari owner! ;)

At any rate, I think the Portofino seems very well done, and may be generating less F-chat angst than any other recent reveal. I can't wait to see the driving reviews.

T

Tides likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bianco avus?
    T

10. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Beauty of a car, can't wait to test it in the summer!

11. Risktaker

Risktaker Karting

Feb 15, 2014
    How does the Portofino sound in person ?

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am biased and feel all motors pale in comparison to a V12, but I have to say this sounded closer to an n/a motor than any other turbo I have heard. It was only revved from stationary and
    Not like a 458 but better than a Cali T and any other turbo cars I have heard. It was only obviously revved whilst stationary, but it was the closest I have heard a turbo motor sounding like a n/a, albeit it had a slightly strange bass line to it. My comments must take into account that I am heavily biased towards and inevitably compare to V12 music.

Brian L likes this.
  13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom the design evolution from the 1st generation Cali to the Portofino is enormous. I'm unsuspicious because as you know I like the Cali and always thought is a great car and the most versatile Ferrari. However this time with the Portofino, improvements made on all the positive aspects of the Cali as well as a new look, enabled Ferrari to achieved a product that seems to have it all - Great beauty of lines and style, performance and versatility.

The Portofino is very tempting…….

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Are you really serious? That would at least explain why I was warned off when I went to try to sit in it.

15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Another version of the three models rears this time with another Portofino backside picture taken from a better angle.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. pitonisheee

pitonisheee Karting

Jan 3, 2017
    Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Hetmanski

Official Video

Maggio23, SAT4RE and kevinof like this.
  17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That does indeed sound like the sound at the presentation.

Brian L likes this.
  18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks no Mario, the PF looks so much wider, and better, I don't know if it is in reality?

19. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes sounds great and very much like our HS!

20. smartbot

smartbot Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    They posted a few more videos about the design and technology...

Maggio23 likes this.
  21. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Looks like its pretty much more of the same. If you like the California, you'd probably like this one. And, if not, you will not.

22. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I respectfully disagree. I think the Portofino has a BadAssitude that simply doesn't exist with the Californias. I would expect it to attract some buyers who would normally only be attracted to the likes of the 488 and 812.

f149 likes this.
  23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tim I would risk to say the
    Tim the Portofino is 28mm wider than the Cali T and 36mm wider than the first Cali but I agree with you it looks wider. Below are the dimensions of the three models.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    #124 Booker, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    I will wait to make my decision until I see it in person, but as of now I really don't like the way it looks. At first I thought it was pretty good (better than 812) but the more I look at it the more I feel it is just too busy and it looks very large. The cali was very close in size, but the lines and placement of the tail lights gave it a more narrow/slim appearance despite the huge backside

25. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    #125 Booker, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017