Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    They had a better view of the rear from the side in these videos and now I think it looks too much like the Corvette. The direct rear view is OK, the smaller lights are better but too far apart. The new touch screen looks like an improvement and the seats look great. Not a big fan of the steering wheel. I don't think the sound is any better than my HS and so I don't see anything that particularly attracts me to it even if it has a few more horses under the hood.

2. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Noted the car in the official video is too high compared with the others shown in the presentation show and Frankfurt and I have to say it doesn't look so good

3. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Agree, I had a 2010 California and have to say the new car makes my old one look bloated and very dated. Personally, for me, the Portofino is more in keeping with what a Ferrari should be than any of the California iterations. The only thing I miss is the NA engine.

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
  5. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hopefully yes, it will drive better than the Cali T or T HS. Might get one yet I was hoping to like it more. It actually makes me like the Cali T more than I did before, and I don't love that one either. Some criticism that may land for you:

To draw an amazing Ferrari requires both a bold confidence and a delicate restraint.
    This car is simply not simple, and not unified, thus not elegant.
    This is a design geared for immediate reaction, to make a sale today.
    Too busy ... trying too hard ... not well integrated. It's actually tiring to look at over and over. Good ideas, overdone, overlapping yet not interconnected.
    A little too much of everything good, and all at once.
    Drawing with the fat pen, not the fine one.
    Immature or maybe insecure design.

People will buy all the Ferrari they can make in a year. I wish they would draw a car that's both modern and yet also exclusively elegant at the same time.

Restraint in design is not weakness.

4th_gear, gt_lusso and day355 like this.
  6. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    4th_gear likes this.
  7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I t
    Firstly, say what you like, but their engineers are at the top of their game and there is a 100% guarantee that this car will drive substantially better than its predecessors. For a start, its on an all new chassis and has lost 80kg. It will be a great improvement as otherwise they would not launch it.

Whilst I agree about elegance, I'm afraid those days are over, they are behind us. Firstly the demands made on designers from all aspects such as aero, reduce their options and secondly one gets the feeling new buyers want something a bit more extravagant and not elegant or understated, that is the way of the modern world. A pity, but I think its true and one has to change with it. Personally, I would love to go back to the days of the 275, but that's simply not going to happen, that is the past.

8. Jurassik

Jurassik Karting

Apr 15, 2004
    Dnipro, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Samoylik Yuriy
    эскиз Ferrari Portofin

Attached Files:

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    For what its worth, others seem to agree

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/motor-shows-frankfurt-motor-show/opinion-new-ferrari-portofino-big-step-forward-design

10. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm not saying go back to the 275. You may be wanting that, but that's you. I want a modern car with taste and design integrity, not a marketing approach to drawing. The 458/F12/FF are a pinnacle moment and that's where they need to begin. Extend on from there. Not reinvent the wheel. The TDF works well, and that's it. I'm saying tastefully modern. Not overdone. There is nothing about the new design language that says Ferrari except the badge and nothing elegant here except the name. The balance between extravagant and elegant can be maintained. They are drawing like they have a hard time selling these cars.

Exciting first impressions are only half the story. Where is it in 10 years? You're actually making my point.

Solid State, 4th_gear and day355 like this.
  11. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I like it, but the design is a little busy, not to me a visually sufficient upgrade to make us trade in our CaliT. I will test drive one though to see how much different the weight saving and stiffness make, though again I'm very happy with how our HS drives.

As an aside, the UK press are saying that the boot/trunk fits 2 standard flight cases and therefore there is no fitted luggage being offered. Odd as the boot on the Cali T already fits two of such cases and I thought I had seen a graphic of the PF with what I assumed were 3 standard carry on cases in the boot. That would be a useful addition to the car's grand touring appeal.

12. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Great looking car. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    To my eyes when looking at the pictures from behind the car, the Portofino larger separation of the tail lights and the exhausts as well as the cleaner lines of the boot, have made a considerable improvement in the aesthetics when compared with the predecessor Cali T.
    Taste is a very personal thing and if all of us liked the same car designs how boring this world would be.

14. Flo400

Flo400 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
  15. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    In my opinion, from THE side it looks like the Jag. To busy , keeping the T

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Much like the 812, this is a very busy design.
    And it will sell very well.
    Look forward to the return of good looking ferrari's in a decade.

4th_gear likes this.
  17. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    Do you guys think this car would be worth trading in your T for. Example, if i trade in the 16 T the dealer will give me maybe 150-160k for my car. Let's say that the new one is 240-250k. That's 80-90k more for this car. Do u guys really think it's worth that kind of money? 488 are coming down in price really fast. Let's here your opinions

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am not being literal about returning to the 275, I'm obviously talking about the elegance of that era. All I know is, look at the original Cali and the PF, and I love the improvement, as seemingly do the majority, backed up by the success in the marketplace. It may not be right in your eyes, but it is in many others. As someone else already posted, its just as well we all have different taste

SAT4RE likes this.
  19. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    f12tdf, portofino;)

20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The angle from where the photos below were taken is normally one of the most difficult for any car. It's not my intention to establish a big controversy but I always thought the 812 from that angle IMO looks a mess. I put that picture on purpose so that we can see how the Portofino looks roof up from the same angle. IMO I don't hesitate to say that the Portofino from that angle compared with the 812 shows a less busy much better designed rear side and that makes me wonder how it's possible that both cars have the signature of the same man.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

saraojo and LARRYH like this.
  21. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's not about taste, it's about corporate RACE vs. Ferrari. '"Ferrari is now American, which represents the end of an era." - this is also my issue.

Lambo is the aggressive Italian. And American muscle cars are square. This is some of both, yet little if any of Ferrari.

The grilles on the Cali and Cali T both said Ferrari. What on this design says Ferrari?

4th_gear likes this.
  22. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    What?

Wait a second...
    So, in your opinion, this is one of the ultimate modern Ferraris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    And this has nothing on it that says Ferrari?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

You really don't spot any similarities between the two?

23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    This is a seriously good looking car

LARRYH and SAT4RE like this.
  24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Agree…………..

SAT4RE likes this.
  25. lashedup

lashedup Rookie

Jun 1, 2015
    Found another video with quite a bit of detail. Can't stop thinking about this car...