What do you think of this idea for a cover for your pride and joy | FerrariChat

What do you think of this idea for a cover for your pride and joy

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by shubchs, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    While in an exotic mechanical shop the other day, I noticed that all the cars (except those being worked on) were covered in plastic sheet wrapping and actually tied in a knot at the floor. The kind u can buy at Home Depot in rolls) I wish I had taken a photo. Anyway, I'm wondering if the plastic might be even a better replacement for our Ferrari provided car covers that are made in cotton (that absorbs dust particles). Seems to me it might be better as dust can't penetrate, and it can be thrown away if not re-used and cheaply you can put on another.

2. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I place the plastic ones over my indoor covers to help keep them dust free. The plastic type are cheap and stow away easily, plus they could be used as an emergency waterproof cover if caught out in a shower.

3. Klasser

Klasser Rookie

Aug 25, 2017
    Its a big not for detailers to use any type of car covers, but if you really need to protect the exterior of a vehicle let say painting. a plastic cover is the best and cheapest way.

4. Klasser

Klasser Rookie

Aug 25, 2017
    But I think the oem dust cover which the manufacturer provided is one of the safest, but not waterproof.

5. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    Like the plastic so I can look at and enjoy the cars when I walk through the garage...... however not very good to keep out the mice ;).

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wouldn't plastic scratch the paint more so than cotton??

7. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I put the satin cover on, then the plastic.

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    depends on the thickness of the plastic. something like a 6 mil or 8 mil I often use in home construction certainly would but the super thin ones are maybe 1 mil or less (haven't really physically seen or worked with those) would be much more flexible in nature and therefor in a sense softer.

9. Klasser

Klasser Rookie

Aug 25, 2017
    I think that's a good idea.

10. V8TDF

V8TDF Rookie
    BANNED

May 2, 2014
    Stamford
    Cars will sweat under plastic which is why the OEM ones are a breathable fabric.

11. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cars will sweat under plastic which is why the OEM ones are a breathable fabric.[/QUOTE]

Hadn't thought of that. So perhaps put the OEM cover on, then plastic over that. any thoughts? What say you V8TDF? And what kind of heat in the garage would generate sweating do you think?

12. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

High humidity would be the culprit of possibly tapping moisture underneath a plastic cover. Also, a recently washed car could retain enough trapped moisture to cause added humidity underneath a plastic cover. Ensure the vehicle is thoroughly dry and clean. Place your clean cotton car cover on, then the plastic cover. Both the vehicle and the cotton cover need to be clean, otherwise embedded dirt particles will tend to scratch the paint. Humidity has never been an issue for me as my garage space is climate controlled.

13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    A friend told me he had his house painted and one day when he was not at home the painter decided his wife's Porsche might get paint splatter so he put a clear plastic cover over the car. Not a hot day but a sunny one, in just a few hours until the end of the day, the sun and cover had burned the paint requiring a complete repaint of the car. Car was from the 80s but taken care of.

SV