Your Ferrari and Car Anxiety | FerrariChat

Your Ferrari and Car Anxiety

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by misha, Sep 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. misha

misha Karting

Sep 13, 2017
    Hey guys, I was just curious if some or any of you feel anxious when you park your car in public or even valet?

If so what tips can you offer to the anxious haha?
    I thought I had bad anxiety when I had my M3 and my Turbo S, though I did my best to rationalize it, but I'm picking up my 488 soon and I have a feeling it might be a touch worse this time around.

I want to do my best to actually drive my car places and enjoy it rather than worry about it when I'm out.

Apologies if this is a silly topic to some, I'm new to the Ferrari game, and although it's ticking a lifelong dream off of the list, it is also kinda terrifying to me. Please tell me it's going to be okay haha!

2. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    Dont worry about it, its just a car. Most people will take pics and adore it. Remember everything is fixable and you can always buy another one. Insurance is there too comfort your fear.

SoCal to az and misha like this.
  3. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I understand your feeling, and I think most of us do. I tend to sit at place where I can have direct visualization of it when the area is new to me. And valet is also a strong issue for most of us.

4. CAW

CAW Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Huntsville Alabama
    Full Name:
    Craig Wiggins
    TOTALLY understand. I feel the same way. I always think about the parking situation before I decide whether to take my 458 or not. It may be silly to some, but it's not to me.

5. MJR_HK

MJR_HK Karting

Aug 9, 2016
    HK & CH
    I can reletae to this feeling as well. Had a California T from brand new for 2 years and ended up driving it way less than I should have, just because I was anxious in what condition I may find my car in when returning to a car park...always preferred to park in a hotel etc.

My 488 spider just arrived at the dealership and will receive a full body wrap with PPF - I hope that this will put my mind a bit more at ease, protect against scratches, marks etc.

I told myself to drive this car as often as possible - and enjoy it rather than be overly anxious!

Otherwise, we may need to get some professional help in this matter

6. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Don't let ANY valet drivers touch your car. From the other thread, your car doesn't have the suspension lifter, so they will scratch it up easily and may not know how to shift the car, as it doesn't have a conventional gear lever.

Most won't have sufficient insurance anyway. Now welcome to inflated parking fees... I once went to a lounge, got quoted $80 to park a car... When there was free street parking across the street.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you had bad anxiety about parking an M3 then the 488 will likely be much worse. If your leasing and not owning then don't worry. If your a buyer then it would be unusual not to be concerned about its safety unattended in public. Sounds like your a car guy who cares about the things you put value in. Try not to obsess but a zebra can't change its stripes. Maybe cancel and get a Camry? Best.

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I admit it. I'm one of "those" owners. I do drive my car, but I probably spend double the time when I get back going over ever inch of it, wiping it down and making certain there are no scratches, etc. I suppose its is crazy to some, but this is how I am, and I take pleasure in keeping my car that way. I don't anticipate that I'll change. I knew I would be this type of owner and I was eager to do it regardless. Own the car and experience it the way it gives you pleasure. To each their own.

bball16 likes this.
  9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I too was worried about parking my 458 but as others said, people are respectful and mostly want to take pictures.
    I do suggest joining the Ferrari Club of America because when your local chapter does an event, they are careful to check out the parking ahead of time. For overnight events we even get private parking at the hotel cordoned off just for us.

10. misha

misha Karting

Sep 13, 2017
    Well thanks for all the responses guys, it's somewhat relieving to know that I'm not entirely alone in feeling like this haha.

Everything you are saying makes perfect sense to my logical side of course, I'll just learn to get over the emotional anxiety with time hopefully haha.

I know this feeling all too well, the girlfriend thinks it's funny but also completely understands.

I think with the M3 it was because it was my first "nice" car, but the Porsche was much worse in some ways because as much as they are generally "incognito" in my area, they still are a bit more of a head turner than an M3. If I end up moving out of this car, it will be because the anxiety and attention will have been too much for me to handle. Maybe I'll get a Camry haha.

Ah that's great to know I'll definitely join up, thanks for the tip!

Yeah I have seen a few differing points of view on Valet parking, but I really don't want a stranger parking my car. If I can self park valet then maybe but otherwise no thanks. I'm pretty picky with my parking spots, and I just keep reminding myself that if I end up with a simple door ding, that a good PDR place should be able to fix that right back up at relatively low cost.

11. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have always parked my 458 myself at the front, taken my keys, then tipped the valet to keep people clear.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I will never let my car be driven by a valet. A friend used to work as one and the stories he tells of taking exotics for wild rides would sicken you. I also park far away from any cars in a public parking lot. Owning an exotic does come with its price.

13. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    agreed, never let them park it.. i actually park it in front and take the keys when there is valet.. much better chance of it being safe then in the parking lot and being hit by a door

14. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    About a year ago someone dinged my 458 in the local supermarket car park and drove off. Although it was caught on CCTV, I couldn't get hold of the video clip because it was apparently an infringement of civil liberty!!

I now have a new 488, and I have got to know one of the car wash guys in the same car park. I don't want him to wash the car, but I pay him to cone it off in 2 bays and keep an eye on it. Its worth it for the peace of mind!

MANDALAY likes this.
  15. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    I used to have this anxiety also when I took my car out, parked it anywhere, gave it to valet (that parks it 2 feet from where I dropped it off).

I installed PPF on the whole car top to bottom. No worries now.

Want to lean on it with your jeans for a selfie? Go ahead.
    Dead bug, bird poop or rock chip? Welcome.
    Girl's sharp purse brushing it as they're trying to take a pic? Bring it on.
    ******-bag with an evil streak to prove? Your keys have no effect here.

Wrap it and forget about it. Peace of mind.

jc1 likes this.
  16. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    I haven't valet'd in years and won't do so unless I absolutely have to in any of my cars. The idea of handing over my keys to a young kid who parks the car in my line of sight, paying for that spot as well as him parking the car just seems extremely silly to me.

My son's best friend was a valet here at the Hard Rock in San Diego, he would routinely drink a 12 pack of crappy beer just before his shift. The stories he has about driving cars and the other valets made it clear to me that my previous concerns about valets only scratched the surface. I also park so I can minimize damage, never packing it in tightly in the front spot nor would I ever consider taking up more than one spot to my car and ego that's begging to antagonize others. Don't think that damage from valet's is "covered" nor aything inside your car that might get stolen, good luck proving your case there.

17. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Great idea!

18. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I don't valet the Fcar. We only valet Audis for dinner at night. Just too risky to have a bear, elk, dear, coyote, big horned sheep, etc. run in front of the car. This time of year we have 400 bears in Aspen. Really.

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Glad to know I'm not alone. Most of my Ferrari owner friends come in two basic flavors: the ones who couldn't possibly care less and those, like us, that spend more time worrying, doublechecking and doublecleaning everything than anything else. Like you said: to each his own, they're two very different and almost incomprehensible camps! Most important thing is we enjoy our cars regardless.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    :D

It's just a car Nuno .... !

21. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Driving it often is the best defense against F-car angst. Immersion therapy! The more you drive it, the more you'll get used to handling it/yourself in different situations - in traffic, on the track, parked @ Costco or heaven forbid WalMart, take it to car shows, etc. Once a month, I try to do something normal with my F-car, above and beyond the usual point A to point A fun drive - go grocery shopping, drive the wife to her hair cut appointment, Costco run, etc. I take care to park away from other people, go places at off hours when it's less crowded, etc. At the end of the day, you either own the car or it owns you! Congrats on the new 488...T

22. misha

misha Karting

Sep 13, 2017
    Thanks! I have been doing just that, and I already feel a bit more "normal" about it. I'm actually surprised at how nice and civilized it is for "daily" stuff. Since I don't have a 9-5 my daily use tends to be a bit more casual which also helps. But yeah there are still some places/areas I frequent where I'm iffy about taking it, but I feel like i just should to get over the fear!

23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mel, you're 50% right.

Yes, it's just a car... But it's MY car :D :D :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.