Deal is done. McLaren Renault & Toro Rosso Honda for 2018 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Deal is done. McLaren Renault & Toro Rosso Honda for 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I suppose Honda could become magically great at making engines next year, but it's doubtful. It would be a terrible feeling for McLaren if that were to happen. The Renault, although third best engine, has won a race and scored multiple podiums. It's not like the four engines are evenly spaced in performance...the Renault is a good engine and then there's a huge dropoff to 4th with the Honda.

As long as the McLaren chassis is as good as people say and Alonso is not going to complain and focusing on driving, they'll be getting multiple podiums and fighting for 3rd in the WCC.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Kvyat 2018 WDC?

Toro Rosso the opposite of Brawn GP?

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Alonso next year at the French GP

"GP2! GP2!" :)

4. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Any official annoucement?

Until the moment, only informed by "Sources close to the deal..."

5. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    If Honda gets their act together, they'll certainly be able to cause some turmoil. STR has for years been building very decent cars.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It'd be funny and interesting. That said I can't imagine Kvyat (or Kefir as NBC calls him for no good reason at all) doing anything like that. IMHO one of the worst drivers on the grid.

of2worlds and VPX like this.
  7. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    The McLaren/STR battle - whether it occurs near the top, middle, or bottom of the grid - will be epic!

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I'm onboard with this. If anything, Renault by next season are likely to be well-within striking range of the top two engine manufacturers. My concern for McLaren are the birthing pains they will deal with the first half of the season, or less, with the new PU. That said, I can see McLaren performing better and regaining a number of sponsors which may lead to their ultimate plan to produce their own PU by the next engine formula.

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    This.

I am constantly amazed by the folk who automatically presume that Honda has some mystical fairy dust that will somehow be sprinkled on their utterly useless PU to turn it into a monster world beater. It hasn't happened for 3 looooonnng years. Somehow, Mclaren's faith in Honda's fairy dust has evaporated. Not a great surprise, and they have waited long enough.

And we should not underestimate Renault's potential to further develop's it's PU next year. Why can't they catch Merc and Ferrari? Renault are far more committed to F1 - they at least have a team. Honda could just pull the plug at any time - like they did when they had their own team before.

375+, hairy_scotsman and Ferraripilot like this.
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Zak Brown better start praying the Honda engine sucks next year. If the TR car beats McLaren or even appears to be competitive with Alonso he's toast.

I see Honda taking advantage of this knowing they could end up powering the RB team in the future. No one expects much out of them now so any improvement will be magnified.

Kiwi Nick likes this.
  11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    You are right, but don't for one moment think that McLaren don't know exactly what developments Honda are planning to make to their engine for next year. Their judgement is that it isn't enough and Renault will do better. That's all you need to know.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    You assume they replaced the guy responsible for PU judgements?

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Another side effect of this is that Kubica's F1 return is likely dead in the water

14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    This. Honda has had 3 years to put up or shut up. They won't be arriving with an engine even close to as good as Renault next year. So McLaren gets to be competitive again AND they likely keep the best driver on the grid. HUGE win for them.

375+ and hairy_scotsman like this.
  15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    This is Samsung v Apple. Samsung have proven they simply haven't the technical chops to really edge out Apple. Honda simply haven't the necessary technical chops for F1. This isn't motoGP where Honda engines perform quite well, nor is it a modified road car category. Honda unfortunately just learned 'the hard way' and I believe put a bit of hurt to their brand name in doing so.

subirg likes this.
  16. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Indeed.

Required reading from the Autosport premium article, esp for all the Honda fans out there...

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed

And quite frankly I don't get it. He should get a seat after the Hungary tests.

18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    tifoso2728 likes this.
  20. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Wait for it to become official next week.

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I think it will be sooner, maybe tomorrow or during the weekend

22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Agreed I thought he did an exemplary job. Must be very tough for him to get close again only to have it fall apart

23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    "Anticipating that Honda-Ilmor wouldn't succeed in its task, McLaren continued efforts to secure a supply of customer engines from Mercedes. The F1 team was supposedly reticent to agree to this, fearing an Alonso-driven McLaren would be a threat to its own prospects at certain tracks."

Shows just how good people think Alonso is.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'd like to see Alonso V Verstappen next year a few times. A battle we've been robbed of 3 seasons now.

subirg and hairy_scotsman like this.
  25. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Agreed. I don't think anyone on the grid wants any part of those 2

hairy_scotsman likes this.