What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE | Page 6 | FerrariChat

What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by SCKOMS, Apr 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    @WillM
    Really, 153 mph on public roads? How old are you and who do you think you are? I'd have put you in jail for the reckless driving and kept you there for your lazaie faire attitude.
    And while you could be dead at 55 you will certainly be dead at 153, probably taking others with you. Try thinking about the others you share the road with for a change.
    Your style of driving took the life of a family member, a ten year old decapitated when a triple digit speeder's car sailed across the median and peeled back the roof of this innocent family's car. His aunt, my then sister in law survived, albeit trapped in the car with her nephew's headless body.
    How would that scenario weigh on your conscience, sir?
    Is 55 about revenue? You bet, same as your buying your way out trouble demonstrates. That doesn't excuse your reckless behavior.

tifoso2728, tonyswfla and ideloera like this.
  2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Unless there is some issue where you meant you were going 150kph (which is *only* 93.5mph) in a 55mph zone, I'd agree with Ross. This isn't Germany, our roads aren't designed for those speeds, and the public isn't used to cars passing at near triple their speed. A 55mph crash in a modern car is very survivable. A 150mph crash is not. The energies involved in crashes at that speed are almost 10 times that of a crash at 55mph.

I certinly agree that the 55mph speed limit and much of its enforcement is not at all about safety, but thats when we're talking about going 60 or 70mph, not double that.

3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I find it hard to believe that you were going 150 mph and you did not get arrested. I just don't see that happening. Did he actually clock you at 150 or some lower speed? What speed was listed on your citation?

4. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    OP claims 153 in second post.
    Yeah, I'd like to think that guys doing this would be hauled off to the slammer and given a soap on a rope.
    Some other holes in the story; There is no "crystal lake county" The town of Crystal Lake is in McHenry county. And while I94 goes through Lake county it would not be patrolled by the sheriff but state police.
    I am friendly with a Lake County sheriff's officer. I'll make an inquiry about this, it would certainly make the locker room talk.

5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Yup. I thought the Crystal Lake County reference was just from unfamiliarity, but a lot of the story doesn't jive. I doubt the judge would just hang out waiting to see if he could get a lawyer so he doesn't have to come back. As for the sheriff, I have gotten pulled over on 90 by a Cook County sheriff for passing him in the left lane after putting along for 5 or 6 minutes. He was doing 55, I was doing maybe 60. He was just pissed that I had the gall to pass him. I don't think he had the authority to write a speeding ticket because I'm sure he would have...he was fuming. This was about 10 or 11 years ago.

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Anyone can pull you over, regardless of jurisdiction and even that is not always clear to the cops themselves.
    On I-294 a State trooper or any local municipality cop can give you a ticket, you can get pulled over by anyone with a badge and hurt ego also.
    In the latter case (was pulled over by a Forest Preserve cop in a pick up truck), no ticket would happen but if you ignore him and keep going he will report to State Police God knows what kind of BS about you and you can end up in unnecessary complication.

7. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Forest Preserve cops are a branch of the State Police. Running from them is not a good idea.

8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Since the discussion has turned to trying to outrun the police, I thought I'd add a moment of levity. In the early 90s I worked for the Park District. I was at Leone Beach and needed to stop at Ardmore beach to drop off payroll sheets. So I bike down Sheridan cut over to Ardmore, and then opened it up going south on the bike path. Just past Foster, a guy pulls up next to me and says, "Hey!" I said, "Hey" back. He then says, "Pull over!" I looked up and it was a bike cop! I got a ticket for going to fast. Being a dumb 20 nothing, as he's writing the ticket, I asked him what would have happened if I hadn't stopped? He told me he probably would've have chased me for a while and then radioed ahead to Fullerton and North avenue to stop me. I've always wondered in hindsight, if I should have tried to outrun him.

9. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    It's nearly impossible to have a consistent 70-80+ mph on Illinois highways without running into an Uber driver doing 50mph in the left lane every quarter mile, which is what irks me the most about American drivers. As said above we aren't a culture that can sustain higher rates of speed. I question the story as well, if you're from Germany the fines etc can't be a complete shock if you've ever driven through your neighbor country of Switzerland. If you were really doing 153mph vs 153kph you got off incredibly well.

10. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think I’m still wanted in Switzerland from back in 2004. Driving to the airport in Zurich at 7am on a Sunday morning. The speed camera got me going a whopping 5 k/mph over speed limit. There wasn’t 1 car on the highway the whole trip. So I get some nasty letters in German that I had translated saying they are requiring me to come to court, etc.. we’re talking 3 mph over.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Swiss are the worst speed Nazis.
    Btw, regarding that 153mph speeding, no way in hell it would not end up in an arrest in Illinois.
    Any judge in this State would throw the book at the offender, no deals, no mercy of any kind.

12. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray

Agreed. It is either a BS story or they were going 153 kilometers/hr.

13. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Is it just me or did they increase the speed limit on I-90 (between 290 and 294) to 70 mph??

I just noticed the signs yesterday, wasn't it 55 before? Nice to finally have a reasonable speed limit there now

14. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois