"OFFICIAL" Coupe/Spyder/GranSport Thread | FerrariChat

"OFFICIAL" Coupe/Spyder/GranSport Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 4200GT, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4200GT

4200GT Rookie

Aug 10, 2017
    Mary Esther, FL
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    #1 4200GT, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Let this be the beginning to something great. This "Official" thread will give us somewhere to post up the latest pictures, problems, and joys of our beautiful cars. There aren't many of us so this will help us all come together on this forum. Enjoy!

For starts here is my 2002 Coupe GT (6MT)

Other Social Media Outlets:
    Instagram: @That4200GT
    **********: https://**********.com/t/maserati-coupespyder-Ugg6XkXqRbeIOEeSiUSu4w?iid=W4VJoGVqQL-wlbCs__w_pg
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/4200GT/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP and jjmalez like this.
  2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Lovely colour. On my cars to have list.

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #3 F456M, Aug 26, 2017
    Hi Marcos!!

This thread is a GREAT idea. Your red Maser looks great. I really dig the red stiching against the black leather. I bet it is a headturner in sunny South Florida!

I live in Norway and Sweden and have a 2003 Coupe Cambio Corsa. This car was new at Shelton Maserati in Ft. Lauderdale Florida where I have been many times myself, and is fully spec'd, even with heated seats, (an important thing in SFL :) It was imported into Sweden in 2010, and has barely been used. so it has about 25.000 miles and all service records shows that this is true. Color wise, I love it, as it has a two tone couio and beige interior (with stiched headliner) and "biscuit" carpets, and the exterior is Blu Mediterraneo metallic, a very bright "light dark blue"... It has the chrome (Maserati called it "ball polished") rims, but these are now painted silver metallic, as I found them to be a bit too tacky for my taste. It has standard exhaust, exept for no rear mufflers. It does have four chrome tail pipes though, and it is pretty loud! I might put on GranSport mufflers with flaps, but then again I have to make the vacuum lines and vacuum booster tank etc. which the car does not have from factory. Maybe I just use the std. silent mufflers for a while as I do have a pretty loud 550 Maranello aswell. Have also had a 3200GT ten years ago. I always wanted that car back, as it was a blast to drive with the manual stick and whining turbos. But now something slightly different, so the decition of a 4200 CC stable mate was done a few months ago when I found this car. I also have a XK8 convertible Saphire Blue met. With oatmeal interior in Miami and a 2002 M3 convertible Carbonschwartz met. with brown interior in Nice, France :) This way, you never get tired of them and don't need to replace them.

I want to get the navigation working. Is this a module that have to be installed?? Can't really see any info that the car has it, but the screen has a satelite antenna icon upon start-up that shows "gray" and according to the manual, all symbols that are grey, means they are currently not working or are in-operational.

The car is somewhat "angry" in stop and og traffic, that means, the car does not move until you get about 1.200 rpm. before the cluch angages. This seem to wear much more on the clutch and drivetrain, so I have heared it is possible to adjust at what point the clutch should start to make the car moving. Any idea how to do that? Yours is a manual so you probably have never looked into it. Maybe some others can tell me... :)
    Thanks for a good idea. I love Ferrarishat, so the Maserati section seems to grow in popularity these days. Always great to put up a question before bed time, and next morning you get the answer by people who kows the 550. Should be the same here for Maserati. Some pretty serious Maserati enthusiasts are here for the older models.

I look forward to follow this thread closly!

Erik

NEP and jjmalez like this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #4 F456M, Aug 26, 2017
    My dog "Enzo" also like this car alot... I have started to make a custom two piece "dog bed" so I can lock him up if he is a bad boy and when I don't want him to spoil the interior completly. The wooden lates are now cvered With marine blue alcantara, and will alsoe have custom enclosures so he will stay in place. These plates are cut so they also fit perfectly at the bottom of the luggage compartment when not in use. The small openings at the rear is for the straps which goes through the ISO-FIX child seat restraints. Not yet mounted in the picture. (they were not finished in cutting when the Picture was taken, so they are a better fit now With rounded off edges and soft backing under the alcantara).

The car is great with no overheating issues as the 550 has always had.

Boomhauer and jjmalez like this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very nice car....Did you delete the rear exhaust cans or get a new aftermarket tail pipe? I heard that no exhaust on the rear with the X pipe sounds to loud and you can hear the engine droning to much on the highway. But you have the stock center section, so maybe just loud??

I think these cars are a gift to enthusiasts looking for a good looking starter exotic. You cannot beat them for the money. The Gransport is also still a bargain, but I like shifting. I find my 6 speed manual very easy to shift, but it has been adjusted properly now and that did help a lot. Compared to some of the old Alfa's I have driven it is very nice(Giulia's and Alfetta's and even Ferrari's and Porsches I have driven).

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    By the way, your car looks lowered. Makes it look better in my opinion and not hard to do if you have Skyhook.

7. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    #7 Geflackt, Aug 26, 2017
    NEP likes this.
  8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks. About the suspention... I wonder if my shocks are due for replacement. It bounces a little bit and I have to deive slowly over speed bumps. I bought the car like it is today without doing any changes to ut. The exhaust is stock except for the rear muffler delete pipes. The center muffler has an original X-pipe just after it. It helps to pitch the frequenzy higher than without the X. It slunds amazing with minimal drone, but I plan to use this car for everyday use when I don't drive my Chevrolet Avalanche, so I want to get it a bit quieter. That is why I want Gransport mufflers, as those have the flaps.

Keep the cars coming on here!

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Looks great! By the way, if you get tired of your rims, just send them to me!! ����

10. 4200GT

4200GT Rookie

Aug 10, 2017
    Mary Esther, FL
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    #10 4200GT, Aug 28, 2017
    What a well written descriptive into! Makes mine seem so minimal.

Yes its a head turner, but not for the reason of it having red stitching on black leather fully loaded Coupe GT... Its more of "what is that?" lol. I have yet to run into someone that knew what this car was to even appreciate the fact that it is a 6-speed manual.

I'm glad your enjoying the thread and hope others do to. Can't wait to see more of our beautiful cars on here and see where everyone is from.

NEP likes this.
  11. 4200GT

4200GT Rookie

Aug 10, 2017
    Mary Esther, FL
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    Where are the other Coupe/Spyder/GranSport owners?!

Attached Files:

12. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    I'm in Los Angeles.
    [​IMG]

NEP likes this.
  13. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

RIGHT HERE.

Very good values.

14. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    We still have our 2002 Spyder Cambiocorsa. It found us in 2003 and has been a great, very dependable car. We now have great fun with it during the winter months at our home in Florida.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

NEP likes this.
  15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Like that colour combination quite a bit :)

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Where can I find a summary of what to look for in a 4200? That is, what goes wrong with these cars?

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Clutches seem to be a big area of trouble. The clutch pedal pump goes out on the early GT 6 speeds, and CC's have electronic switch and clutch pump issues wich can cause it to wear out early. The motors are very good and the gearboxes seem to be reliable. If you buy a Spyder the top hydraulics and motors seem to go out, although I have not had an issue. Alarm issues are also trouble areas, and getting it fixed can be tricky. The usual Ferrari sticky buttons and cheap material on door panels. Overall a well built and nice car.

Two things you should get changed, springs and the exhaust. Not sure what the Maserati engineers were thinking when the put springs soft enough to cause the car to float over bumps. The steering is very good but it feels like the car will not take the corner fast due to the spring rate. You can adjust them if you get Skyhook but that is not a good idea as the shocks may bottom. The exhaust is very quiet on the pre Gransport cars. The only major difference between a regular 4200 and a 4200 GS mechanically is the exhaust(X pipe). They also reprogramed the CC gearbox for the GS to give it different shift rates.

Maserati Life seems to have a lot of mtx info on their website.

18. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    Add to that list: Heater cores and ball joints. The ball joint covers crack, then let in dirt which destroys them. Covers are available from aftermarket but not all the ball joints are available separately from the control arms.
    Besides doing the spring upgrade, get the FD DBW if it's an F1. Gives a much faster clutch engagement and should save clutch life(I'm going through about 1% every 1k miles now in a mix of Sport and Normal modes - never auto).

19. trustno1

trustno1 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2011
    nth boring
    Full Name:
    IN COGNITO
    Try and locate an online comprehensive document that covers a wide range of issues to look for when purchasing these vehicles

20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    By the way, the heater core is the same unit used on the Alfa 166. Most of this stuff can be checked for on a test drive if you know what to look for. Misting on the lower windshield means heater core, bad ball joints make noise and a clutch going bad you can feel. Alarm issues will present themselves if you try to lock several times, and the car should have 3 keys and a code card. Check the trunk to make sure it opens properly. If a spyder open and close top. If it does not go up and down without hesitation it may have a problem. I suppose you could disconnect the entire motor and hydraulics on the top and go fully manual but that is a 2 person operation I have been told. I love the way the Spyders look, but they are small with little room to push the seat back. The low value must be because people hear horror stories about the clutches costing a lot, mainly due to the CC having extra parts that can drive up costs into Ferrari territory. If you just drive it a few thousand miles a year I don't think any of that will be an issue. In fact several 4200 GT's are pushing up to and past 125,000 miles on the original clutch according to owners. Even a CC with over 100,000 miles on the original clutch have been reported by an owner(That should be verified :) )

Piddeb likes this.
  21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I read the service history from Florida, and you are right. The car was lowered 2,5 cms because the owner wanted to trackday the car... i believe the suspention bottoms from time to time... not really a good thing. How can I reset the suspention to normal height? I want comfort with this car. Painted the rims metallic silver. Made the car paint pop instead of the wheels pop... all fiur rims needed to be straightened and got new tires. Totally different driving experience. The sound is great, but indoors it is way too loud even though I have not yet managed to activate any car alarm systems yet (I guess it is OK!)

NEP likes this.
  22. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    Actually pretty funny that it's the same core as one of the modern Saabs and can be had extremely cheaply!! Not sure I want to risk it without research on the quality, but worth looking into when it comes time. On the flip side, there's supposedly a nice brass/all-metal version available for quite a bit more that should do away with the leak. I did take a little gamble on my F1 solenoids, using Alfa and other part numbers. Found them to be the exact Magneti Marelli parts and they've been fine for a while now. So there are some crosses to part numbers on these cars.

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    If it has Skyhook you can adjust them back to normal height if they are not worn out. The shock is like a screw that can be adjusted. If they just lowered the car with stock springs the car is even softer than stock now. I really think the soft stock springs on the early 4200's don't belong on a sportscar and should be replaced with something stiffer. I know FD make a stiffer set of springs that lower the car 1 inch (American).

F456M likes this.
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Exactly. The car is soft and bottoms the dampers alö the time! Thanks for great input. I will have them set to factory settings!