Are you looking for a nice 308? | FerrariChat

Are you looking for a nice 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fiat4Fun, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
  2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

What steering wheel is on the car? Where's the original.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    "
    What do you do to a 308 that cost $16k? I've owned my qv for 32 years and even fixing a belt failure cost significantly less than that. Nothing else ever came close. Never had a service that got into 5 figures.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

$16,000 means there was a helluva lot wrong with the car - or the customer was totally butt****ed prison raped by the shop.

In other words, there is no good reason to be boasting that the car was recently in need of $16,000 worth of service.

5. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Depends what else was done. Engine reseal, head rebuild, suspension rebuild, laundry list of little mechanical refresh things, new hoses all around, clutch job, things found damaged during the routine svc...

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    which would make me wonder what "babying the car" meant

On the flip side, everything is fixed. Time to buy and enjoy. I would own it now.

SDDubbya likes this.
  7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I have a dealer invoice for about that amount - some head work done as part of the annual service. Best part is that was at 1998 prices!

When I bought the car i saw this as a positive not a negative point.

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I see this all the time with 308 sales. It is almost like "boasting" but I think it scares a lot of people off and is responsible for this stigma that a Ferrari costs a hell of a lot more to maintain than anything else. I know people with Porsches and Aston Martins and they've been raked over the coals too. I even know a guy with a Honda Odyssey that basically turned itself into a worthless heap of metal because of a well known and practically inevitable transmission flaw but you never hear about that stuff. The Honda stigma (myth) is that you drive it forever and never look under the hood. Well, not always...

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    One way to turn it into a positive would be to list all the items done in the $16K visit, instead of it sounding like a $16K belt job. ;)

10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's possible to spend $20K on a service with a Ferrari that is perfectly sorted out. I did an engine out/top end rebuild with my 456M, during which they did the belt service, replaced all the hoses, and installed new motor mounts. The top end rebuild included new valve guides. The 308 is a simpler car, though, so $16K does sound like a lot.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    or every
    Exactly and which is why I despise the term "Major Service". I don't care how much it cost. I want to know what was done and by who. There is nothing in the owners manual of any Ferrari that says "Major service" due at xx,xxx miles or every yy years. .

thorn likes this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

I agree.

Just itemize the service in the listing and leave the numbers out of it.

thorn likes this.
  13. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Easy to hit $16k if you’re paying a dealer or pricey independent. My car has a $10k receipt in the file just for an engine reseal. I know an F-Chatter that spent $8k for a suspension rebuild. Heard a year or two ago that a well known indy shop in Colorado was charging $175 per shop hour.