Warning about two 430 Scuderias on the market | FerrariChat

Warning about two 430 Scuderias on the market

Discussion in '360/430' started by cozmo920, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cozmo920

cozmo920 Karting

Nov 3, 2012
    Currently there are 2 Scuderias on the market that are just not good cars, and their current listings do not appear to reflect this. Shocker....

1. Rosso Scuderia Vin: ZFFKW64A980161814
    Auto Check shows that at an auto auction April 2017 that previously repaired frame damage was discovered, yet Carfax shows clean...

2. Nero Vin: ZFFKW64A390168811
    Inspection revealed numerous panels were poorly resprayed, there was over spray, and mis aligned panels, and missing fasteners. Yet clean autocheck and carfax.

If you are in the market for a Ferrari or any significant car, please, please do yourself a favor and get them inspected from a reputable source.

Vegas CS, elmadi, Flea7 and 20 others like this.
  2. 1995F512M

1995F512M Rookie

Nov 20, 2014
    #2 1995F512M, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017
    wow, thanks for sharing they are like being sold by big dealers and how would they have missed that??....

you also mentioned that you saw a third scud with problems which one is that ....

3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My take is guys know that an accident filed with the insurance companies will soil the CarFax. The car gets fixed out of pocket. My car had extensive paint work. Absolutely perfect work. CarFax shows no accidents. So who knows.(?)

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Great share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Only way to know definitively would be to have the car properly inspected by a body shop. They will turn it up for certain. But most buyers will not go to the trouble.

6. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    wow the red one lived in PR for most of its life, probably why nothing is on the carfax

7. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #7 Drestless, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    I had a car like number 1 way back (bad Autocheck and good Carfax) and got it inspected by multiple shops pre-purchase. All of them stated there were zero frame damage.

Autocheck is not 100% accurate as well and prone to clerical error same as Carfax. Best bet is to get it inspected and then request an amendment correction to correct the history if there's indeed no frame damage found.

Clerical errors can mess-up any car history really good but can be corrected by request with supporting inspection documents.

8. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    In the past, I've paid an owner of a body shop to visit a Ferrari dealer where I was considering buying a used car. Not only did I want a PPI for the mechanical end, but wanted to know if the car was in an accident or painted... something a trained eye can spot. Once you've bought a car that you later find out had undisclosed bodywork, you don't make that mistake again.

Also, OP... thanks for actually posting VIN numbers for these cars. All too often people post warnings about cars with out being willing to list VINs or dealer names etc.

9. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo

Ive been wondering why that red scud has not been sold. They actually emailed me this year after a year telling me they lowered the selling price.

10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    For me it's kind of paint forensics.
    I am a professional and have owned a Restoration Custom Car shop for over 26 years. I could tell the paint (not only from the digital paint gage) but from tell tail signs that the car has had a lot of paint work. But as a professional I could see it was extremely well done. Not a hint of over spray. No clear or color on any of the rubber seals. No color differentiation anywhere. But there is a faint clear coat blend line in the roof. Most would never even see it. Also there are some marks on the rear quarter rubber around the window that indicate the quarter glass was removed and the rubber "picked" with a tool to pull the lip around the pinch seam. Again, most folks would never know. I have yet to find any serious body repair so like I said; who knows. Maybe an accident fixed out of pocket. Maybe just vandalism. Maybe a "pulling in the garage" incident. Maybe worse and fixed out of pocket.

But you are correct. When folks are serious that I have built cars for, they will call on me to "CSI" if you will, the paint and body of the car. And most should do this considering the ways these cars may be repaired in order to keep the CarFax clean.

11. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  12. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    Most independent and large dealers use CarFax. Almost every auction house "Adesa / Manheim" and smaller independents use AutoCheck. The inspectors or CR people at these auctions are underpaid and untrained for inspections and condition reports. Manheim will also announce "Frame Damage" on vehicles with 1/8" pilot hole on the inside of a door jam or plastic cover for PDR work. Just because AutoCheck says "Previous Frame" does not 100% indicate this is the case. An independent inspection by a trained individual should be completed. And unfortunately once a car is tarnished at the auction, it is almost impossible to get this fixed. Believe it or not, a lot of Ferrari's come with crappy and inconsistent paint work, which an untrained individual at the auction puts in notes from previous repair. They will also punch in previous frame by just "THINKING" a vehicle was fixed or painted when it in fact has never even seen an accident.

Drestless likes this.
  13. cozmo920

cozmo920 Karting

Nov 3, 2012
    I did, it has since been sold to a wholesaler. I cant really prove or disprove on the third one, but there was a lot of things revealed at PPI that just didnt make sense. So it was very questionable. If it pops back up on the market I may post about it. If you want the VIN just PM me.

However the 2 original cars posted above just are bad cars in my opinion. I was very serious about them both, and obviously passed on them. Why roll the dice at ~200k. If you are looking for a deal on a Scud check out the silver lemon one at Silicon Valley Ferrari.

14. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #14 Drestless, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    I agree with this.

The Porsche I purchased a while back has this "Frame damage" in Autocheck; however, there was zero frame damage found by several shops and even my local Porsche dealership. I have a very good relationship with this dealership that services my other Porsches and even done new crate engine swaps for me in the past.

The car was not the original color and the consensus was that this low paid auction inspector ASSUMED that it's been in an accident since it was repainted with a different color. Very bad practice.

15. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I invested in a paint meter. Couple hundred bucks and the paint meter doesn’t lie. The thickness of Ferrari paint is very consistent throughout the car. It’s a dead giveaway when you run the meter and a panel has irregularities. It also works over clear bra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    However,
    The paint meter cannot be accurate because most of exotic cars have a clear film installed especially at the front clip where usually the damage would be.

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Sorry to sound dim. If a panel is damaged, repaired/replaced and repainted by a good shop from bare metal, could the paint thickness not be the same as the rest of the car? In which case, how would you know - just a colour differential between new and adjoining panels?
    How much digging do you need to do to check for frame damage on cars like a 430? Older cars you could see the rails under a ramp.

Manda racing likes this.
  18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    to my understanding paint thickness on the 360s (perhaps even the 430s) can vary. Not greatly but more than a couple of mils. is possible since the panels are painted off of the car at the factory.

19. 1995F512M

1995F512M Rookie

Nov 20, 2014
    i did wanted to fly there to look but i am just worry about buying a lemon and then in a few years selling it after. i am afraid it will be hard to sell. i even looked at the history of the lemon, just worried they are hiding something about the steering and suspension that they seems to have problem fixing causing the wheels to be changed so often

20. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was also looking at the black one and really appreciate this post.

21. cozmo920

cozmo920 Karting

Nov 3, 2012
    Your welcome. Hopefully I saved you the cost of a PPI. As I paid for one that revealed many OBVIOUS issues, that should have been disclosed.

22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Great job posting this info, cozmo! I learned a lot. Thanks

23. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Cozmo, did you bring these issues to the dealer's attention? What was their reaction and your experience with them?

24. cozmo920

cozmo920 Karting

Nov 3, 2012
    Surprise and apology, nothing else. Complete act and BS in my mind.

25. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    of course surprised, how could they have known??!!!
    just another example of why sleazy business people of all types are called 'used car salesmen'.