Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree but I think a lot comes down simply to aesthetics. Its a really sharp looking car and now with 600hp, and ever refined mechanicals, the "entry-level" Ferrari has even more bite and attitude. Add in the relatively reasonable price and carried over versatility and I think you have a continuation of a winning formula for Ferrari. I always respected the California, but this Portofino is one to fall in love with... I think Ferrari has done a marvelous job!

2. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    First Portofino sale ads already popping up on Mobile.de for delivery on September 2018.

3. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Still returning to specs. In Portofino presentation show there was a presentation slide with a mention that "specific emissions" had been cut by 10%. Maybe this does not mean CO2 emissions though.

According to specs sheet, Portofino is still in homologation phase regarding fuel consumption and emissions, so I assume the given figures were still initial ones.
    At least it seem weird that fuel consumption has gone up from 10.5 to 10.7 l/100 km (+1,9%) while CO2 emissions have reduced from 250 to 245 g/km (-2,0%). Also, as far as I have understood, Ferrari must provide figures with new WLTP test cycle too, a standard which came to effect on September 1st 2017. Expect 20% higher readings with WLTP.

4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Interesting review of the Portofino. Looking at pictures from rear angles I wondered why the Portofino boot looked less bulky than the ones of the California and California T. I thought it had to do mainly with the design approach but after you mentioned the Portofino boot has 48 liters less than the others, probably that economy of internal volume also contributes for the boot less bulky visual and made the designers task easier.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hmm. Gotta read up on this WLTP. Will be interesting to see how it differs from old test, and if this changes the turbo vs NA dynamic. Thanks, inox...T

6. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Still couple of words about the back end of Portofino. I have to admire the complexity of work required to fit the roof in the boot. Styling wise they wanted move rear lights as far a part as possible to make the rear end look wider and lower. However, that is not the only reason for relocation. The roof panels are longer in Portofino than in California. I suspect they had to move rear lights from the boot lid to make room for the roof panels. At least the upper panel seems to be reaching the very end of the boot. There is simply no space for lights anymore and they obviously wanted to keep the car as compact as possible.

See e.g. this video (at 5 min 30 s):

See also roof operation animation: https://portofino.ferrari.com/en/design/versatility

tomc, uhn2000 and MDEL like this.
  7. tryp

tryp Rookie

Oct 27, 2011
    Anyone know when the configurator will be available ? On Ferrari website .....

8. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    tomc likes this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I asked about 3 weeks ago, and was told in 3 weeks or so. Checked Ferrari.com a few mins ago - it isn't up yet, at least in the US. One F-chatter said, however, that the dealer configurator was up and running...T

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Very interesting. Have to say Rosso Portofino is really a gorgeous color IMO.

I know Schmee irrirates some people, but I thought that was well done as an overview...T

11. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    I recall the 812's configurator was up and running almost a month after the Geneva launch.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My socal dealer said books are not open yet to order in USA, only an "interest list".
    Is this consistent with your understanding?

13. Fcars06

Fcars06 Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    Austin, Tx
    Full Name:
    Alexandre Ramon
    U.S dealers will probably take orders at the end of the year when the first allocations become available.
    THe configurator for the Portofino is up at our dealership and it keeps being updated. Not all the options are present, but as of last week they updated it with the various exterior Carbon Fiber pieces available such as under door cover, rear air ducts and more. More options to come.

14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Very obvious SP30 influence on the vents, indeed.

As for what the influence for the lower part of the body side is, my best bet is the 1973 Cutlass... by Oldsmobile! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper, inox and Dolceexte like this.
  15. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Have you all seen this? Portofino and its configurator start around the 4 minute mark.

16. munir

munir Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    Thank you for sharing

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Love the video- the Portofino looks amazing and the Mondiali Finali looks fantastic as well!

of2worlds likes this.
  18. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Above photos were found in various Italian news sites, and show the Portofino at its Rome debut.

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    It does look rather squat in the top down red profile shot, i'm hoping that's down to camera phone distortion.

As an aside, Mrs 635CSI was very disappointed that, apparently, there will be no fitted luggage to go with this car.
    She feels that packing the Schedonis (which have been nowhere near an airport baggage hall) gives a trip a certain elan.

Is the "no luggage" story confirmed by any official sources?

20. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Returning to subject of somewhat odd difference between fuel consumption and CO2 emission figures between California T and Portofino.

California T: 10.5 l/100km (250g/km)
    Portofino: 10.7 l/100km (245g/km)

Although many sources mention that fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are directly related, it is only part of the equation. In simplified form (without factors), the fuel consumption can be calculated as a sum of emissions (Hydrocarbons (HC) + Carbon monoxide (CO) + Carbon dioxide (CO2)), divided by density of fuel. CO2 emissions play a biggest role in the equation though. During the car's homologation phase, emissions and density of fuel are measured and based on results, fuel consumption is calculated. In Portofino's case, either HC or/and CO emission have been relatively larger or the used fuel in the test has been less dense.

21. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    In any case, Ferrari has succeeded in cutting Portofino's CO2 emissions while increasing the power.

However, it is interesting to note California T differs substantially from other related Ferraris when calculating relation of CO2 emissions and consumption.
    If the g/l figure would be inline with others, California T's consumption would be 10.9 or 11.0 l/100km.

California: 299 g / 13.1 l = 22.8 g/l
    California T: 250 g / 10.5 l = 23.8 g/l
    Portofino: 245 g / 10.7 l = 22.9 g/l
    488 GTB: 260 g / 11.4 l = 22.8 g/l
    GTC4LussoT: 265 g / 11.6 l = 22.8 g/l

This is such a big difference that I would be interested to know what California T's registration statement says about the combined consumption. Just to make sure 10.5 l/100km is not a typo! ;)

22. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    #373 mobinakhtar, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Just look at your staggered exhaust - no one else got it! I have the first Gen NA as well but i'd pick it just for the way those up/down tips look

23. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!!!!!!

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Inox...You seem well clued in to the tech. Do you think the new mpg tests in the EU will sway the balance between naturally aspirated and turbo engines? I've read claims that the old circuit test was unrealistic & biased towards turbos. I'm a scientist, but ICEs are not my area of expertise!!
    T