348 Challenge Non Catalyzed Cam Timing: ECU Cal Change? | FerrariChat

348 Challenge Non Catalyzed Cam Timing: ECU Cal Change?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Jasonberkeley, Oct 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Hi,

If you use the alternative holes on the drive to advance the cam timing by two degrees to the factory (Challenge approved) "non-catalyzed" work-shop specs, will the car run properly without running the 348 Challenge calibration (or some other alternative calibration?).

Does anyone have a source for the 348 Challenge ECU calibration (is it an actual chip that gets swapped, or do you re-flash the ECU?) for a 1990 car?

I've searched on here, but can't seem to find anything definitive on the ECU with respect to the advanced cam timing.

Thanks,

Jason

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There was no challenge ecu. The latest version of the 2.7 motronic was the latest spyder ecu. That had some minor tweek that was used by teams as the challenge ecu. The ecu is sealed and can't be flashed. But they can be openned and eprom replaced with what people whip up as hot chips. We used to copy the 94 ecu spyder eprom chips and retro fit them into earlier year ecus and have a defacto 94 ecu programing. When I raced my 348 I messed with cam timing. It was a pain becuase engine comes out for access each time. So combine going to track under differnt conditions and my inability (newer racer) at that time to run consistent laps within 10ths repeatedly I was unable to prove a superior cam timing with my stopwatch. Your mileage may vary. I don't have a 348 anymore but still tied into the pointy end of the crowd so we have access to "hot chips" if you want to experiment. I have been out of it for a while so I don't know how far they have gone with mapping on dyno with exhaust system changes etc. But if you are sticking to stock challenge stock 94 ecu set up is for you.

3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

What exactly did they do to the timing?

Advance intake exhaust or retard the exhaust a couple degrees?

:)

4. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Set at 14 and 53.

SoCal1 likes this.
  5. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    To answer your question on timing, yes it will. Tim (aka SoCal1) in the 348/355 section is a good guy to talk to regarding his chips with revised red line and fuel/ignition mapping.

6. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I actually bought chips from Tim shortly after posting! Thanks!

7. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I should add, it is assumed that you're running the cat-delete pipes in this config. Based upon my understanding, the cats of the era are quite sensitive to exhaust gas temp, especially given the proximity to exhaust ports in the configuration, and the tweak in timing was a measure to increase cat life, or decrease likelihood of burning them up.

8. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Correct.

See pic below
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    yup seen them before... aftermarket chip like what you got from Tim. Before Tim, Before Eric, and before Reiner there was Superchip and a host of others who made their own "hot" chips . The hype was more than the actual performance because rarely was the chip the limiting factor. Chipping was a late 90's thing. When the cars got modified even with the 348 challenge tube exhaust the factory was still using the stock spyder ECU as the latest ECU iteration. The advantage of that ECU was +200RPM limt. Even that radical exhaust was doing almost nothing except making noise because a stock ECU was still being used. Real engine changes would have forced the factory to come up with a race ECU.

11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Thanks FBB. Well aware of the chip world of the 90s. I was an engineer at Callaway Cars in the mid-90s, and free-lancing for a race team that ran in IMSA SuperCar and World-Challenge in the mid to late 90s.

I'm more curious as to whether or not anyone has seen this specific emulator board set-up in their 348 Challenge cars, and whether or not the chips that the series physically gave out are like this, or different. How were they identified?

The emulator chip deal I posted the pic of is dated 5-9-95. The middle of the 1995 348 Challenge season. My car raced in the Moroso event the weekend of 2-9-95. So this would have gone in after that. My car was listed on timing and scoring sheets from the Road Atlanta event on the weekend of 4-28-95, but with no times listed. Right before these chips would have been burned. Makes me wonder if they had a problem that weekend and then put these in. My car then shows up on the timing and scoring sheets for the Lime Rock race the weekend of 8-4-95, also with no times set.

12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    They retarded the cam timing on the cat cars in order to decrease overlap, so less unburned fuel would go into the cats. The unburned fuel would get burned in the cats, causing them to overheat. Ferrari did the same thing in cat V/S non-cat F40s. Aftermarket chip makers would take this into account. I have seen Michelotto chips for F40s market "Kat" and non Kat.