3500GT V.S. on Jack Stands to avoid Tire flat spot??? | FerrariChat

3500GT V.S. on Jack Stands to avoid Tire flat spot???

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TridenteFury, Oct 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TridenteFury

TridenteFury Karting

Sep 28, 2014
    Ciao Tutti,

Wondering if it is wise to put an oldtimer on jack stands for seasonal storage (6-8Months) in order to avoid flat spot on the Cinturato tires...

- Afraid that using the frame as support to place jack stands, may put stress and possibly flexing it.
    - Rather than placing jack stands on the frame, strongly considering placing them right under the front suspension springs seats, of course using a piece of wood in between. For the rear placing them under the leaf springs. Advantage, suspension will not be hanging and not fully extending shocks, springs will be loaded as in normal state. Issue: not sure if placing jacks at these positions would be OK or create unnecessary stress on areas never structurally intended to support weight...

Anyways, main thing, what would you advice to avoid tire flat spot when storing car with tires on...

Molto Grazie
    Carlito

2. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I think that this may no longer be a problem with modern materials. I store my cars for 3-4 months with no special precautions for the tires and have not had any issues.

3. TridenteFury

TridenteFury Karting

Sep 28, 2014
    Yes, also read that radial tires do not have that problem any more... My Cinturato are modernly built with modern and better materials...
    However it's going to be stored 6-8months, wonder if would still be OK...
    Also do you inflate your tires to max indicated PSI ??

4. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Over the last several years I have parked my 3500's in Seattle in storage for six months at a time while at our winter home in Palm Desert.
    When I return, I simply start them up and drive them away.
    I have not experienced any flat spots in the tires and wheel alignment seems to be dead on.

Two of my 3500s are running on modern reproduced Pirelli 16 inch tires and one car the "Mitchell car" has modern 16" Vredestein tires.
    This is simply my experience not meant to be a suggestion or recommendation.

More importantly in my opinion, is the type of fuel you leave in the car during long-term storage.
    I store my cars with 80% avgas 100/110 low lead (or racing fuel) and 20% non-ethanol fuel. You can typically find non-ethanol fuel being sold at farm equipment locations.
    A simple Internet search of non-ethanol fuel locations will turn up some good results.
    Modern blended fuels are very damaging to rubber parts of your old Maserati's and caution should be used especially when storing the car over long periods.
    I I for one do not recommend fuel stabilizers such as stayBil they tend to clog the filters.
    I would be interested to know of others experience regarding storage. Mice can also be a very big issue?
    I also put spacers under my wipers to keep the rubber suspended from the glass. Here wine corks do the job very well.
    Ciao
    FGM

5. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I do not. I take no special precautions except putting a fuel stabilizer in the gas tank. I have not had any issues with filters (yet), but I appreciate the heads up.

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Hadn't heard about products like Stabil clogging the fuel filters ... interesting.

You have some discussion links on this?

7. TridenteFury

TridenteFury Karting

Sep 28, 2014
    Thanks Frank, for the pointers, invaluable!!! Yes I feel comfortable, with my newly made Cinturato, they will hold up fine and I will inflate them to 45PSI... I prefer this solution vs putting on stands which puts unnecessary stress on the tubular frame, on points never intended to support a classic for 6-8months....

I agree ethanol fuel is a mess. I've experienced crumbling my rubber hoses like cookies and clogging my carbs, I make sure to put 110 LL fuel in all my vintage beauties...

Grazie
    Carlito