How good Marchionne really is for Ferrari? | FerrariChat

How good Marchionne really is for Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Igor Ound, Nov 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How good Marchionne really is for Ferrari? (Out of 5)

1. 5

2. 4

3. 3

4. 2

5. 1

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Simple question

2. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Not really, .. for Ferrari shareholders (I am one) he is awsome!!! For Ferrari owners (I am one also), a lot will depend on what he does next with the F1 team (time for Verstappen to replace Raikonnen perhaps), or what new cars he launches next (please no SUVs)....

Formula Uno likes this.
  3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Seems nobody dislikes him so far... ;)

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Obviously, Sergio is on Fchat and voted for himself. :)

G. Pepper, stavura and jjmalez like this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Other than not being Enzo or Luca, I really don't see how he is doing much harm.

But this might be a good time to ask for a manual tranny at some point in the future. Otherwise, I don't really care about Ferrari as a company -- I still care about my F355B.

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This is not really a good poll. How can we vote on his overall effect when he is still making it.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Are you suggesting we kill him?

kes7u, G. Pepper and crinoid like this.
  8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    depends on what is being measured... RACE is up over 100% since IPO about 2 years back ... FCAU is closing in on near 200% gain since election last year

"money talks, 'BS" walks"

F2003-GA likes this.
  9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    bberg009 likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    For Shareholders = Good
    For F1 = still yet to be determined
    For Owners:?

Ferrari will be fine. I know there are lots of comparison to Porche. Ferrari would have to increase production 25 fold to match that scale.

To fully extract performance, all the doo-dads are requirements, not options. There just is too much power in the new cars that most people would be in deep doo-doo without all the electronic aids (including me) on public streets.

Ferrari has to continue the never-ending arms performance race.

This fact is not a bad thing; it maintains the value of legacy classic cars that are fun off the track at 10/10ths.

People keep saying they wish Ferrari would make a 'raw' minimal car. Won't happen because safety requirements now are way more stringent now, which add a lot of weight, structural and bracing. Not to mention Ferrari is committed to all hybrid cars for the fleet, which only increases complexity. A stripper nuevo-Dino ala, a 4C will be hard to charge $300,000 for say a turbo I4.

There are plenty of 3x8s, 355 if you want a raw, minimalist Ferrari, with fully extractable HP band off the track. They will be a lot better depreciation wise vs. mainstream models too!

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If they split off the Dino brand, that would not be the case.

And if you want raw, go for a continuation model of the GT40. A Ferrari - or Dino - is much more sophisticated than that.

A balance could be struck, if Ferrari wanted to. Personally, I don't think they do.

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    While I personally would LOVE a sub-Dino Brand, I do think we'll see the same thing happen in 2020 as in 60s. People will call it the 'faux-Ferrari that you buy cuz you can't afford a real one.' Ultimately, I think it will hurt the brand. Just my $0.02.

many of the older cars, from my armchair - my opinion is much of the rawness has to do more so with the archaic technological limitations of the time. Modern incarnations of 'raw cars of yore' would weigh more (due to safety concerns) and have a more 'refined' engines just because well, "they don't make em like they used too" - I mean this in a positive sense.

Modern engines will just be smoother, less raw due to technological advancements, You would almost have to purposely down engineer it to replicate the feeling of the older cars.

Not saying one is better than the other, different strokes for different folks.

bberg009, Caeruleus11 and G. Pepper like this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Very inappropriate comment.

15. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I wish that he would go and buy himself a few custom Italian suits and throw his sweaters in the garbage....I'm sure that he's making a ton of money.

As an Italian, I cringe when I see him standing there in his sweater.

I almost can't believe that Piero Ferrari doesn't tell him so...

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hahaha

Formula Uno likes this.
  17. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Indeed, he is a sartorial embarrassment.

Valentino Toro and crinoid like this.
  18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    He's Canadian and we're fortunate he's not wearing a Canadian Texido.

19. Valentino Toro

May 28, 2017
    The guy is wired differently. He sees the world in numbers, it’s not his fault that he lacks any fashion sense. He couldn’t care less that he walks around in, and sleeps in, the most boring daily uniform imaginable. Therein lies the danger of his diagnosis of megalomania. We can’t ever expect him to change but we can allow him to preserve his delusions of self-esteem and purpose by not criticising his intent to bring Ferraris closer to the mass market. It is best not to attempt modification to Marchionne’s personality disorder lest we risk him going off in a completely opposite direction and dressing like a clown. In effect, that look would be just as ridiculous as his current state of dress and we would all get used to it eventually. But what would be more difficult to get used to would be seeing a Ferrari as often as you see a high end Beemer. Is anybody else out there concerned with what is visibly occurring right before our eyes and ears? Personally, I’m just sitting back watching this like I was watching a theatrical production about an oncoming train derailment and wreck about to happen in the next and final act of his play...

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I suspect he wears a sweater to cover up underarm sweat. He might be very self-conscious about it.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    This thread has gone to a new low. Ridiculous and juvenile.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If you are including my comment in your analysis please understand I am being serious. As a Physician I have encountered numerous people terribly embarrassed by this and using clothing to cover it up is not uncommon, sweaters often chosen.
    I am suggesting we "give the guy a break" on his clothing choices and leave it be.

23. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I will be wearing my Brioni tomorrow as a silent protest

crinoid, bberg009 and paulchua like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hahaha

25. Valentino Toro

May 28, 2017
    Quite agree with you. Any suggestions then on what he should wear that is NOT ridiculous and juvenile? He looks like he’s never bought clothes since his college days.

paulchua likes this.