"Complete pinion for 6th Gear - Not as spare part" (F355 5.2) | FerrariChat

"Complete pinion for 6th Gear - Not as spare part" (F355 5.2)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Qavion, Nov 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Folks, after disassembly, my mechanic found another broken cog in my F355 gearbox... i.e. P/N 155651. I notice that all the major Ferrari part suppliers use the expression "Complete pinion for x Gear - Not as spare part". What exactly does this mean. I see on eBay there is a used one for sale, but does it need something to go with it? e.g. a matched part, or perhaps the entire layshaft?

Shown as item #8 on the Ricambi site:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/lay-shaft-gears.html

Why are these parts not available by themselves (except on eBay)?

Thanks,
    Cheers
    Ian.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Ian, when i visited Russ at Ferrparts he had quite a few gearbox's in pieces/parts. Been was 12mtns since i was there. Mite be worth ringing him and asking. Note they could be machined as a matched set mate cant see any other reason it couldn't be purchased on its own. other than that i know a man in Melbourne he may help you cheers Paul

Qavion likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Paul. I'll let you know if I need your man from Melbourne.

I'm just wondering what it has to match to. I don't know enough about gearboxes to understand.

4. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Over the yrs playing with gearbox's some overdrives you have to by as a matched set(drive and driven gear). Its becoming a thing of the past with machining technology

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You buy it as a matched gear set. Look at the previous diagram on Ricambi. There is also a 6th gear set that is matching to that one on the input shaft.

Beetle likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ahhh... makes sense now. I completely misunderstood the video posted on FChat a few months ago.

If a full 6th gear set can't be found, can one half be machined to suit the the other half?

Thanks.

7. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    It would be a matter of measurement of your broken gear against its replacement mate. I'd say it's a relatively straight forward process if you can obtain the gear your after by itself

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    People always sell the set of 2 gears together because that is what is required. Even used sets are sold together because the wear of the gears all match up. Brand new gears are machined and the selected to match up as a pair. If you replace one new gear to go with an unmatched other gear, you will have excessive wear and it wont last long.

Qavion likes this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good to know. I wonder why those guys on eBay are selling only half sets.

Thanks guys
    Cheers

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Because you would not get any warranty on the gears themselves and they do not care.
    I do not know about our 355 transmissions but I do know that our heavy trucks and equipment no longer need both except for the crown and pinion.

20 years ago different story. But consider our transmissions are 20 years old so,likely the old technology.

Qavion likes this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Grant... Makes sense. Thankfully, my mechanic was able to find a new matching set from FerrParts. So far so good (except now I also needed a new clutch disc).

It's staggering how many parts there are in these gearboxes... and how many can break.

MAD828 likes this.
  12. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Ian, I saw your gearbox apart the other day, was scary to see it like that! Hope it’s back on the road soon for you to enjoy.

Qavion likes this.
  13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have been on fchat a long time, and the good news is have not seen too many 355 bix problems. Also many of the 348 probkems were addressed and fixed by Ernie and FBB a long time ago. My understanding is with their fixes the boxes were no longer a big problem as well.
    So all though lots of parts in their, generally speaking the boxes do not usually cause problems.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    In hindsight, I should have taken a panoramic shot of the parts. The individual shots I took don't quite reflect the scariness :)

Yes, unfortunately I think this Ferrari suffered in the hands of numerous previous owners/drivers. I just wished I'd recognised the noises I was hearing during the test drive (The PPI mechanic didn't even take the car for a drive!). Thankfully the gearbox will be like new after some major part replacements: main shaft and bearings, two gears pairs, clutch disc, synchro rings ...

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Like all used cars, once you own them you know what condition they are in. Thats kinda my point when I tell people the ownership costs go down with age, provided they are maintained properly.

The good news is

Now you know its good

Qavion likes this.
  16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Qavion likes this.
  17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    What amazes me is how heavy the gears are because they do not look that heavy when you see them out.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    LOL.... Great shot, Elliot. Your photography is much better than mine I see. Thanks! I'll put that in my archives. The other half of the parts are off-cam (maybe even more) and the clutch was on a different table.

Here are some of the other parts:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Oh yes I saw it all, was going to take your pumpkin home and restore it for you hahaha! Good idea to get the clutch done now, how was the throwout bearing?

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perfect, Elliot. It was changed to a Hills Engineering bearing a couple of years ago.

MAD828 likes this.
  21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    A warranty on Ferrari parts?????
    AAAAAAAHAHaHaHahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Oh that's funny!