Maserati Khamsin | Page 285 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  2. maskham

maskham Rookie

Aug 30, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Hi all, I'd like to share some news, last week an interesting Maserati exhibition started in Switzerland, in a Museum near Basel, there are about 30 Maseratis on display, from race cars to almost all models from the 50s -70s, including my K AM120.160
    Here the link (http://www.pantheonbasel.ch/de/willkommen/news/maserati.html, only available in german) and some photos from the opening Vernissage, which was joined by Alfieri Maserati, the son of Ernesto, one of the founding brothers, for a historical review.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login .

MK1044 likes this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Lucas,

Thanks for posting and well done for including 160, looks as nice as ever. Great selection of cars there, I visited a couple of year ago, great building to showcase cars. It is not clear in the link how long this Maserati exhibit will run, can you clarify that?

Herzlichen dank, best regards,

Marc

4. maskham

maskham Rookie

Aug 30, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    The exhibiton will run for 6 months until 15. April 2018.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you Lucas, great, plenty of time to stop by.

Best regards,

Marc

6. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  8. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc and Alfieri107

Yes, I think it is 396, it is getting cheaper every time another dealer has a go at it.

Another topic:
    I cannot figure out which car is on this instagram photo, seemingly from Oslo,
    looks like a genuine european car, but if it is 'foliert' it was probably another colour before
    any guess ?

http://instarix.com/media/BbBvptuA9nq

Best regards
    Roger

9. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  10. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  11. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    10000% better looking in blue! (Just MHO)
    (((-;

Mark

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Roger,

Those are indeed 380 and 1000. I saw 380 for the first time in blue Last December 23 at McGrath's but did not initially recognize it until I figured it out. The Norwegian owner, a very nice Doctor had bought it in Manchester bang in the middle of the riots there a few years ago, 2011 I think. He came to KHAMSIN QUARANTA with it in 2012, still red. It had before that been in the middle east where it just sat, unused, but properly stored.

I had received a few photos of 1000 from when it was new in Califonia, such as the one you posted, it is the car used for that brochure show high up in the arid hills there.
    I Missed the car on Ebay in the fall of 2001, when it was somewhere on the US Atlantic sea board, bid $21000 at the last second but another bid $100 more at the last nanosecond, argh.
    It then later made its way to Norway as well, where its long time owner converted it not just to Euro bumpers, but sidelights, speedo, ignition timing and differential ratio and repainted it in this darker color.

It changed hands earlier this year but remains in Norway.

Best regards,

Marc Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. gopp

gopp Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Marius Sorteberg
    Hi Marc,

The top picture in your last post is from Geiranger, the famous fjord in Norway. The orange luggage in the back is mine, as I borrow the car for the occasion. I think I have about 5.000 kms in that car before it was sold this fall.

US1000 is now on it's way back to original color, celeste ciaro, so it will be hard to distinguish from #380 here in Norway. #0008 just had a respray in original blu sera and #385 is still white as on the pictures above, but original silver with blue leather. That's the four Khamsins in Norway currently.

Best regards
    Marius

14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Wow great shot and a great memory for me in two ways, I was in Norway in September and did an excursion from the Hurtigruten ship along the Geiranger fjord , Hjorundfjorden and down the Trollstihen and to see a spectacular car in that scenery is eye watering.

15. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Wow... Love the picture of the Khamsin at Geiranger.. Was there 2 years ago on a cruise..
    If fact, I would say the whole fjord area has some of the most spectacular scenery I have
    ever seen! When we sailed out it was gorgeous!!!!

Mike

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Marius,

Thank you for your clarifications, I still hope to come visit Norway but in summer, see the forests the Fjords during a cruise and the Khamsins as well as their owners:) I will probably combine that with a visit to my native Sweden next door.

All the best,

Marc

17. gopp

gopp Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Marius Sorteberg
    #7117 gopp, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Yeah, Norway has some nice scenery, and actually have better driving roads than Italy is known for.

I had the opportunity to travel along Geiranger, Trollstigen, Sognefjell, Kviknes and several other nice places on the west coast of Norway. Three times my wife and I have been at arrangements in these areas, all of them in Maserati's.

The last time was in June this year and we drove our -96 Ghibli GT, since the Khamsin was not ready for the trip. The only Khamsin was #380, but it was 36 Maseratis in total for the "Discover Norway 2017". This trip was the greatest I ever attended, with people from all over the world and Maseratis from the 50'ies to brand new. A big thanks to Jens Holger Nilsen for arranging this!

Earlier I always planed my vacations in the middle of Europe, but a friend of mine, Bjarne Reistad, invited my wife and I to a weekend trip on the west coast of Norway together with some fellow friends with "GT" cars, and that was a real eye opener for how great Norway can be, seen from a "petrol heads" view. The first trip was in 2011 when we drove our black Merak.

Two years later we drove US1000, as seen on Marc's pictures.

We also had a great time visiting Raufoss with the Norwegian Maserati Club last year, and US1000 was attending as well with it's owners. We drove our daughters Fiat X1/9, witch is not in the same league, but a lot of fun, and beside an Gandini design. This time Kim Krohg was the primus motor
    for the arrangement on behalf of the Norwegian Maserati club.

Marc, it would be fun if we could make these roads together in Maserati's this spring. Khamsin #0008 will be ready, and I still got the green Ghibli GT :)

BTW. I read a lot of "bashing" of the Biturbo cars, but I could say that after one hour in the drivers seat in a Ghibli GT, all criticism will fade away. This is both a great Maserati and a sports car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you for the great photos Marius and for the drive idea, very much appreciated. I would love to so definitely on the 2018 to do list, I am just a two hour flight away:)
    I remember following that same 5000Gt as in your last photo above when riding in a Ghibli spyder at the Swedish international rally in 2010, quite an experience. You and Hanne look great in 70's style wear.

Best regards,

Marc

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

1140 is apparently listed as a lot for the Gooding Scottsdale auction in early 2018.

This car was found in 2006 by Florida dealer Stuart Siegle in Sacramento California having slept for years. After it arrived in south Florida it was repainted twice, once very badly so it had to be redone. Since I was there on a holiday and had just finished the bumper conversion for a friend who knew I had done my car years earlier the dealer asked me to do it on his car...I normally hate working on cars -I like to DRIVE and research:)- but thought well un-disfiguring another will get more people to appreciate them see them the way they were meant to look...so I accepted. I remember throwing away the carpets which were rotten to the core (this is before the interior got redone very well but with the wrong color for the steering wheel hub which should be black). For some reason the bumper job on this car was a nightmare and took much longer and I had a Miami Newark Stockholm flight looming so I spent one or two all-nighters with just naps on the floor of the workshop office...and finally got it done, then spent hours getting the gunk off my hands and suddenly I was in Stockholm wondering if it had all in fact been a bad dream:)

Then for years I had no contact with this car...and suddenly two or three years ago a photographer in upper NY state asked me to sell it for him...which I did, to a NYC based collector, the photographer was very happy with the price as he had been unaware of K value rises. I am not at all involved in the Gooding sale.

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1977-maserati-khamsin/

Best regards,

Marc

20. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

I think I used to see that car driving around Lodi when I used to visit my inlaws in my identically colored Bora. Lodi is about an hour south of Sacramento.

21. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Walter,

Sorry to dig out this old thread, but, what ARE the Bora Gr.4 specs ??!!??

Danke.

22. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

You should be asking Marc Sonnery about this. He's the resident expert on that story. He's written an article about them a while back too. The cars got modified after the race series they were never in. One was for vintage racing in Europe. Kind of ironic given that it was never allowed to enter back in the day.

23. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    I've asked Marc, and wait.

But with years, sometimes, infos, pics show up.

Thx.

24. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Candide

I will do a little advertising for Mark and his book "Maserati - the Citroën Years" as he covers the Bora Group 4 with plenty of photographs and inside knowledge of some technical features, as well as interviews on the subject from page 246 to page 265.

You may want to buy it. I have certainly not regretted doing so and learnt a lot on Khamsins and others cars linked to Citroën.

Roger

25. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Thx Roger.

When I only once took a glance at his book, I was so focused on Ghiblis indeed that I did not buy it.

But now, I'm waiting for it signed for X-Mas I hope !