355 5.2 Throttle Position Sensor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 5.2 Throttle Position Sensor

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Steve355F1, Nov 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It's the Ferrari censors that give me the ****s

2. kena

kena Formula 3

May 20, 2007
    Salt Ash
    Full Name:
    Ken Abrahams
    You Jest "low speeds" with you driving. :)

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been a good boy for nearly a year now Kenny, get all my points back on Xmas day :)

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Steve, was that sensor you found specifically for the F1 car? These have a different P/N from the gated 6 speed cars.

5. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good question, Ian. I’m not sure. Didn’t realise there was a difference.

As you can see from the table below, it seems to suggest that it is specific to the 5.2 cars, but doesn’t differentiate between manual and F1.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    On the Ricambi site:
    P/N 172750 "potentiometer for throttle valve (two contacts) - valid for F1 cars" U$170.91
    P/N 158170 "potentiometer for throttle valve - not for F1 cars" U$370.95

Odd pricing. Could the F1 be cheaper because aftermarket ones are easier to source?

Anyway, if you can find a picture of the TPS you want to buy, it has two rectangular electrical connectors on it. The non-F1 has one connector.
    Looking at online photos, the F1 Bosch part number is "0 260 122 005".

One site has these equivalent part numbers:

• CITROËN (16281F)
    • FIAT (0007779229)
    • FIAT (7779229)
    • IVECO (7779229)
    • LANCIA (0000007779229)
    • LANCIA (7779229)
    • PEUGEOT (16281F)

Any help?

7. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hmmm. Thanks Ian.

I think I’d have to look at the sensor that is already on my car to know for sure.
    I’m also thinking about speedo sensor etc. although my speedo works fine (even if it doesn’t read accurately).

Right now the most useful answer I could get is to this question:

“Is it possible that the clutch position sensor could send a signal to the ‘overheat’ buzzer and set it off”?

If the answer is no, that at least eliminates one possibility.
    This issue started when the CRB and the clutch position sensor were changed (at the same time).
    Presumably it follows then that one of those things is the problem.

8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I can tell you that the new TPS fixed my problem and the car now seems to run much smoother and idles with no miss in the timing

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    From a wiring perspective, the speedo sensor has a single output. The sensor data goes to the speedo and the speedo then outputs data* to other systems: i.e. the engine ECU, the suspension ECU and the F1 TCU (via splices in the output wiring). For all we know, the speedo itself may be faulty. You might think, because the speedo is hooked up to so many systems, that the car would show other (non-F1) fault symptoms, but the F1 TCU maybe more sensitive to data imperfections than the other systems.
    Unfortunately, your problem just raises more questions than answers. Does the speedo output determine if the car is "stationary"? Some warnings are generated if the car is stationary (or not) and something is not configured correctly... e.g. engine cover open. Anyway, this example involves two broken/incorrectly configured things, so perhaps this scenario is not likely.

*I don't know if the speedo output data is processed by the speedo prior to being sent to the other systems or whether the speedo just relays sensor raw data.

The manual says the buzzer is activated for faults (as well as wrong driver inputs, incorrect configurations, etc). I assume this includes faulty sensors. Although your technician has said that all the indications are normal, the fault may be so brief that it's not being recorded by the TCU. Fault circuits in some computers are programmed not to record short-lived faults (even though visible/aural warnings are generated).

Unfortunately, you seen to have a fault which is rather unique. I'm surprised that no one else has come across this issue before.

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    his car has had a hard life :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Steve355F1 and Maranello550 like this.
  11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Even like that they're good looking cars (when they're coupes)

12. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, Ian. That is useful information I’ll pass on to Mario. We will get to the bottom of this eventually!

One of the great things about being on leave is I have time to trawl the internet like never before, and yesterday I stumbled upon a thread from 2006 on another website where an owner describes the closest I’ve seen to the symptoms I’m having:

“I have got a new clutch installed on my 355, located in Norway (not a Ferrari dealer). No Ferrari tester is available in Norway, so I had to do a self-calibration. I have done this, but I get the warning light and buzzer after a 15 km driving. The self calibration is done several tims, but the warning light is there again after 15 km`s driving.”

Most people suggested his PIS calibration must have been done wrong after the clutch change, but given that the Ferrari dealer did mine, and both they and Mario have checked and re-checked it you’d have to assume that isn’t the problem with my car. Also, this issue started before the clutch was changed on my car (in fact it was because of this warning buzzer that the dealer suggested we change the clutch). This symptom started the very day my clutch release bearing and clutch position sensor were changed. Nothing else was done to my car that day.

And it turns out that the other thing Old Mate in Norway didn’t mention in his opening post was that his problem also coincided with his speedo failing! Hence my question regarding the speedo sensor. My speedo works the same as it always has - fine, if a little inaccurate.

13. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I reckon even I can work out what the problem is with that car: it doesn’t have red carpet.

14. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Probably should have put a MS event viewer app in the software, then you would be flooded with useless information :)

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    And you moved the steering wheel over to the LHS ............ oh wait, yours is an import :p

16. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That’s good to hear. I don’t think the TPS is likely to be the problem in my car (it seems unlikely it would cause the buzzer to go off on takeoff) but I might buy one down the track anyway.

I’m leaning more towards something speedo related, or, of course, a faulty clutch position sensor (even though it was brand new from Ferrari).

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    They are so cheap in the big scheme of things it must be worth a try ?

You could trade it for a faster shifting manual gearbox :)

18. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Now this has really got me thinking. Maybe we’ve been barking up the wrong tree and the warning has nothing to do with the clutch system at all? After all, the same buzzer is used for every warning in the car.

Is it possible that the system reacts the way it does when I go to move off because it (falsely) senses an open engine cover, front boot, door etc. but once the speed has increased to a certain point it is set to turn off (in a sense, give up on the warning)?

I guess that’s possible but it doesn’t explain why none of this happens until the car is fully warmed up.
    ie. From cold I can drive around for approx 10 minutes with no warnings at all, then it suddenly starts once everything is warm, and continues, slowly gettting worse the hotter the car gets!

19. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    That's how long it took for my TPS to start causing grief

20. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hmmmm. Ok thanks.

21. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Real car Vs hairdresser version (you'll notice the challenge shakes the ground standing still :)

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    OMG how embarrassing for a non challenge owner

wrxmike likes this.
  23. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lol.

1) That Challenge actually sounds pretty crap.
    My car makes a nicer and more old school F1 sound than that.

2), The GTS looks beautiful, and the owner is hardly going to be revving the nuts off it in the middle of a busy city.
    Only wankers (like Lambo owners) do that sort of thing.

:p

24. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Like you?

25. Aircon

BANNED