348T Engine out with Pictures and Procedures | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348T Engine out with Pictures and Procedures

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by yelcab, Dec 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Mitchell, nice to see your man cave. Bravo with that project, I would not attempt it. Do you ever sleep?

paulchua likes this.
  2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Jeka and paulchua like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Mitchell Le is an amazing asset to the Ferrari community here in the Bay Area. We are all very fortunate for him.

4. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    +1

paulchua likes this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Small update, only because it is relevant. This car had a timing belt lock-and-swap job a few years ago with the engine in, by removing the gas tank. It is very likely that many items were not tended to such as the cam timing. Three of four cams were 9 degrees off, one was 3 degrees off. For those of you who believe that lock-and-swap is the way to go, don't. Valve adjustment was also not done at that time. Half of them are now too tight.

Really, you need to take the engine out for a major service, or it is not a major service.

paulchua likes this.
  6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Thanks a million for taking the time to post this, I'll be doing ours in 2018. Our lift is positioned similar to yours. Did you drop the drivetrain in the driveway, and if so did the garage door limit the height you needed to slide the engine out from underneath? How did you get the car back centered on the lift? Also, I was thinking about making an engine stand so I can inspect the transmission and work more comfortably. Do you think it would be practical to lift the subframe assembly once it's out with a typical engine hoist in order to put it on a stand?

paulchua likes this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, I dropped the engine on the driveway, which like many driveways slopes down a few degrees for drainage. The garage door did not add any limitation. Once the engine is away from the car, the body only needs to go up about 24 inches to have enough room for the sub-frame to roll back and out. It took 2 persons to push the engine up the incline into the garage. Don't do this alone. It is not recommended.

To get the car back over the lift again, you find a large furniture moving dolly, and stack enough 4x4 on it to support the weight of the engine-less car, under the body (just north of the fuel tank) and push it back over the lift.

Once it is in the garage, I used two jacks to jack the engine up and placed jack stands under the subframe. I find that it is comfortable enough for me to work with the engine at that height. You can always build a table, but I have no more storage space inside so the table would sit out side rusting away when not used. If you did have a table, you would need to use an engine hoist to lift the subframe onto the table and off from the table. Another series of steps I did not care to take.

paulchua likes this.
  8. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have a man cave, I am not a caveman.

paulchua likes this.
  10. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Thanks, excellent information. My driveway slopes slightly then becomes a ski slope so I will definitely have help. How did your engine mounts look? Mine are weeping oil and I feel like there is excessive driveline lash. I'm thinking of modifying off the shelf stuff. I wonder if I really need fluid filled mounts? Did you do the water pump? Even doing this myself I'm afraid it is going to be very expensive. What other extras did you do?

paulchua likes this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    paulchua likes this.
  12. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Nasty, I'll bet that came from the rubber fuel pump insulators. I'm expecting to replace mine next year also.

paulchua likes this.
  13. trainsplanesandautos

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Don't forget the right and left rear antilock brake sensor connectors they are a round quarter turn lock connector. Located under the right and left upper engine compartment frame rail. Don't ask me how I know.

paulchua likes this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    davem, Pero, StuR and 2 others like this.
  15. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    paulchua likes this.
  16. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    There is one thing sexier than a Ferrari and that's a freshly-serviced Ferrari engine all cleaned up and ready to go back into the car. Nice job Mitchell!

paulchua likes this.
  17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, VHT red wrinkle paint after stripping the old yukky paint off.

paulchua likes this.
  18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Let me close out this thread by adding two final details:

1. There is a 1 inch wide, round connector, 9 pins, at the lop left handside of the subframe above the carbon canister that has the instrument signals. This connector has to be disconnected before engine comes out.
    2. Total removal of one shock from the car allows both removal and installation of the engine to be easily aligned at the shock towers. Leave it in at your own risk.

paulchua likes this.
  19. akorna

akorna Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is a great thread - will be doing the same in November. I have an '89 T Coupe and it doesn't have the access panel to the engine compartment behind the rear seats, but the junction block is mounted on the bulkhead and appears accessible. I also wondered of the muffler can be left on, looks like it would clear everything

paulchua likes this.
  20. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Karting

Apr 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kevin K
    This is the best!

paulchua likes this.