Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast) | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bberg009, Nov 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    We have a toll road here in Texas with stretches that are 85 MPH and interstates in the western part of the state that are 80 MPH. I think Montana also has some 80 MPH interstates.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Hybrid is the ideal combination I agree. Alter the mode on a button and you can drive around in EV mode in town, when necessary use the engine as a generator and combination of the two during hard driving.

bberg009 and davidoloan like this.
  3. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Back in he 1970's when I would go to my father, breathless, reciting to him the latest 0-60 times and top speeds posted in the magazines for the American muscle cars and European exotics he would just shrug. To my awed declaration that a particular car could go 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and had a top speed of 150+ mph, he would ask just a simple question: "Where ?"

I'm 360 Canuck, bberg009 and anunakki like this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree with the "where?" on the top speed. The 0-60 is relevant in town 0-30, 0-80, 20-80, 30-50, whatever. That is the daily grind of a city car! It is always nice to be the quickest car out there to give you 100% options. How many times have you tried to accelerate to pass someone in your sportscar and a pickup beat you to the punch. :D

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I can't wait to see where the market really is in 10 years. % ICE, hybrid, and electric.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ...and the towns only have one stop. :D

bberg009 and G. Pepper like this.
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is kinda true, but kinda not.

example, whenever i am at the head of a stoplight, i do actually try to accelerate quickly in order to relish this brief moment of freedom.
    lately i have been doing that in the fisker, that only has a 0-60 time of 6 seconds, AND i am still beating the others to the next light by a very long way. in other words, almost everybody else is not accelerating rapidly. so, if you are not in the first row, you are stuck behind the soccer moms, and your own car's abilities are neutralized.

anyway, i think most of the people on this thread have kind of come to a rational consensus that for the daily commuter/grind/city car, an EV can do the job in a satisfactory manner; and that if you have only one car, or if your needs include occasional longer trips then a hybrid is the answer; and if you have the luxury of having multiple rides, you can pick one of these and STILL keep your favorite ICE rides to enjoy the handling and the noise.

anunakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Trying to accelerate quickly in the front-wheel-drive Highlander that was my mom's last vehicle is a slapstick comedy routine. It's even funnier in the rain. Hate FWD. It's a great grocery getter, but I'm ready to be rid of it.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I expect a lot more electric cars (forced by governments), rest will be hybrid. Very few to no ICE only.

As long as I can keep driving ICE cars (even with hybrid assistance) I don't care. Force me into an electric car (even not allowed to drive ICE anymore) I'd sell everything and live on a beach in pacific ocean.

10. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Lockhart has several stops, Kruez, Blacks, and Smitty's.

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It is more difficult to optimize an EV or ICE engine for maximum efficiency but easy for hybrid. This is due to the long power bands required for each applications (max efficiency occur at different speeds and torques).
    For EV, the maximum efficiency typically occurs towards the top 3rd of the Torque-Speed curve due to Amp limitations, Joule losses, iron losses and demagnetizations current limits. Flat and immediate EV torque curves are a product of these parameters.
    For ICE, maximum efficiency occurs at peak volumetric efficiency where the engines breaths the most hence the benefits of turbo and supercharging.
    Now, when you operate an ICE at max efficiency to generate power to the battery (hybrid), and use the battery to power the Electric motors, you get the best of both worlds.

Caeruleus11 and bberg009 like this.
  12. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    I think like Bas said, it all comes down to if you want initial fast acceleration, or sustained performance on "longer" distances (I.e. 400 meters), as well as nimble handling and cornering capabilities. The Tessa does well on 0-30 and 0-60'mph. But after that the car does not perform at supercar, or HyperCar level.

Like Frank Markus of MotorTrend magazine wrote "The Tesla does not hold the advantage forever, though, because higher speeds give the advantage to horsepower over instant torque. The Ferrari LaFerrari hits 70 mph a tenth of a second quicker; the Porsche 918 and McLaren P1 pull ahead at 80 mph, and these hypercars all continue to pull away at higher speeds".

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Pretty much what Koenigsegg is doing with the powertrain of the Regera. The ICE and electric motors combined (1,000 + 697) make more horsepower than the car's actual peak (1,500) because they don't sum the two simultaneously. The electric motors are optimized at its range and ICE for its range with some overlap (not at their peaks) to make a nice powerband.

Caeruleus11 and daytona355 like this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Amazing they are even comparing with the 7-digit hypercars.

15. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Have to figure soccer mom in her Tesla minivan has the good sense to be out of the throttle by then, though?

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well it depends which S class u have. A s63 makes the right noises to me;)
    The cabin in a model s is not nearly as well insulated from the outside as the S class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That was the point I had tried to make. Anything faster than say 5 seconds 0-60 is plenty fast for city driving. You are going to leave the vast majority of all the cars in your rear view mirror. So the Teslas (or any other cars) sub 5 sec 0-60 is pretty meaningless to the majority of drivers.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I love my I3. It zips in traffic super nicely! Ride comfort is poor though;(

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I know I'm not up on modern cars, but I sure haven't heard of Ferrari model called Tesla before...

kes7u likes this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ferrari FF vs. Tesla S

21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    another nail in the coffin

22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Still has all the style and design of a cheap Asian mass market car.

bberg009 and rob lay like this.
  23. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I hear the folks at pinninfarina are available for an easy fix.

24. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Out of interest how many of you guys choose to wear a mechanical watch over a Quartz / Digital watch?

Sometimes I wonder what percentage of us have a mechanical fascination as well as an appreciation of the sound / feel. Leaving aside the Tesla driving experience, there is interest to be had in how the Tesla's work, but its far less exciting - no?

daytona355 likes this.
  25. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    The forthcoming Roadster has some exterior design flair, but I'm still struggling to get interested in it.

daytona355 likes this.