Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast) | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bberg009, Nov 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Soccer moms will probably not spring $130k for the P100D with "ludicrous option. They are more likely to be on the 3 series with 5.1 second 0-60 acceleration, and top speed at 130mph, even though they will pay an hefty $35,000+++ for the privilege..

While multi-kids families with deep pockets may spring for the cheapest Tessa SUV with a base price of $81,200+++ for the base version, and up to $149,000 for the specs everyone is quoting (consumer report). And $10,000 for "ludicrous mode" option. That gets you to 2.9 seconds 0-60 time.

While the $80-100k base version of the SUV gets you to 4.8 seconds 0-60 mph. A $80,000 Maserati Ghibli Q4/S beats that without being tied to a cord.

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  2. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account

Yup, against the slowest 4-door, out-of-production Ferrari, Tessa's best car does well. ... hmmm...

daytona355 likes this.
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So you want to put it against Lusso, F12 or what?

5. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Tesla.com says :
    Model X is the safest, quickest, and most capable sport utility vehicle in history. Designed as a family car without compromise, Model X comes standard with all-wheel drive, ample seating for up to seven adults, standard active safety features, and up to 295 miles of range on a single charge. And it's the quickest SUV in production, capable of accelerating from zero to 60 miles per hour in 2.9 seconds.".

Car & Driver says:
    The Model X might be the greenest—and fastest—way to tote up to seven people over hill and dale. Models are designated by battery capacity and performance, ranging from 75D to P100D; EPA-rated range spans from 238 to 295 miles. A P90D we tested went from zero to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds, and Tesla claims a P100D can do it in 2.9.

US News and World report says:
    The Model X has such powerful acceleration that you'll likely think you're driving a sports car and not an SUV. It has an optional Ludicrous speed upgrade that turns everything up a notch and makes the drive even more exciting. With this upgrade, it can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in just 2.9 seconds

6. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Nope, against a mass produced 488 GTB that beats it by 0.1 seconds on a 1/4 mile (official numbers from both manufacturers), and about 5 hours 32 min and 15 seconds on most racetrack circles :)

daytona355 and davidoloan like this.
  7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Most people use their phones to tell time...or their fitbits. More akin to digital, no?

As much as I enjoy my cars, ICE is pretty much like having a grandfather clock in your house in terms of its inefficiency and complexity.
    I do wonder where us dinosaurs will be able to buy gas in 25 yrs though, if I'm still alive. or will our cars be Resto-modded with electric motors?

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ferrari 488 only beats it by 0.1 seconds in quarter mile? Wow.

bberg009 likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

10. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #135 davidoloan, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Most young people do use their phone, but you might expect more “gear heads” here, including among the younger ones. The mechanical watch industry has gone through devastation after quartz to amazing revival.

I get the feeling there are quite a few car enthusiasts who don’t care about engines and mechanical systems. The new BMW M5 vidéos on YouTube led me to the BMW 5 series website where after 15 mins I could find no reference to engine types, other than a snippet about a 4 cylinder turbo diesel. The models are listed by name, only with reference to rising power listed as PS, so I couldn’t work out where the straight sixes start. It’s like they don’t want you to think about the cars having engines. Just power. BMW used to be all about the engines.

It’s hybrid which I would have thought should have a charismatic small engine has a boring 4 cylinder.

11. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Somebody needs to make a YouTube video of that. It would be interesting to see the Tesla getting reeled in after its dramatic sprint away in the FF video.

daytona355 and bberg009 like this.
  12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    You're on to something there. I'm slightly nostalgic, but otherwise pragmatic. I care how a car performs, looks etc. but otherwise don't care how "it gets there". Sure electric has its negatives, But so does ICE....primitive unstable petrol that goes bad, varnishes fuel systems, ridiculously complicated motors with inefficient heat/friction losses etc, not to mention the poisonous exhaust etc.
    I hope we always have choice, but I'm keeping an open mind to whatever the future brings.

bberg009 likes this.
  13. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Yes, but we as you can see, as we were talking about soccer moms, the time quoted was for the SUV....

rob lay likes this.
  14. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    In the words of Gordon Murray from this months EVO, “The trouble is petrol is too good! The energy density is so high you only you only need to carry around 15% of the fuel with you, the rest is all around you.”

Electricity is as primitive as petrol, though it’s not the word I would choose.

Batteries are not the future. They are old technology that needs to be replaced.

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my daily watch is an omega speedmaster. it runs about 5 minutes fast every 2 weeks. but i love the fact that it is a mechanical watch designed and assembled by men.
    if i really need to know what time it is precisely i look at my iphone.
    my daily driver now is a fisker karma. its a hybrid, that doesnt work very well, but i love the shape, so i put up with a lot.
    some of my other cars can be seen in my profile - all of them are ice cars of various pedigree and performance - i am sure you will find they qualify me as a 'car enthusiast'.
    but i am rational. i know for certain applications, an ev or hybrid is a better option than an ice car, and vice versa.
    and thats all i have been saying in all of the threads on this subject.

to deny that an ev/hybrid does not make more sense for an urban situation is to deny reality.
    at the same time, if faced with the stelvio pass, i would choose a speciale to make the assent.

i do not eschew ice machines, but i do not ridicule ev/hybrids.

horses for courses

16. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I am confused on how the Model X is a SUV, what is the ground clearance on the Model X, does anyone ever use them as anything other than a super fast wagon with limited carrying capacity? I am confident that I will not see one on any of the trails that I visit, but there so few real SUVs left with everything going “cute ute” rather than having any true sport or utility part of the SUV, that this is not unique to Tesla.

17. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree, I’ve said I admire the BMW i3, and I also like the new Smart electric, though I prefer the looks of the old one.

It’s not electricity I have a problem with, but I certainly think current battery technology is at best a short term solution, with the most important problem it addresses being urban pollution, but that brings with it it’s own problems, such as countries like Germany and China that are coal dependant for electricity production.

There does seem to be some optimism that we will have competing technologies, and choice and interesting solutions. We might however be forced politically into a single bad solution that is later regretted such as currently in the UK where nearly all cars across nearly all segments became diesel, which are now being banned from urban areas, penalised using the tax system and legislated out of future existence, as well as having existing newish diesel cars driving around with diesel particulate filters completely removed because they fail repeatedly. I never believed it could happen here, the US didn’t allow it to happen because of the particulate issue, we did knowingly just to lower CO2 levels.

18. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    #143 asphaltca, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Now with the Ferrari FF I do have some straight line experience and found the only way to get all the true power out of the car is to turn off the traction control. The launch control works well for play time except when your at the Christmas tree, I find it has a delay from an instant start, so holding the brakes and punching it cures that issue . If you listen to the take off from stop in the video the car sounds like it is falling all over it's self when it drops the revs from the start. This happens because the brakes were being applied by the traction control to gain traction and this also happens through out the run. I know from experience that the engine will launch with all four wheels spinning in the direction you point it and it is a much more in the back of your seat experience. I'm not saying it would have won the race but at least it would not have been restricted.

bberg009 and daytona355 like this.
  19. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
  20. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Another intersting issue is the pollution when Tessa's lithium batteries catches fire (ignites easier at only 355 Fahrenheit /179 Celsius. While gasoline requires 450 Fahrenheit,/232 Celsius).

And when it burns, it does not just create CO2, it interacts "with nitrogen, oxygen, and water vapor in air. Consequently, the lithium surface becomes coated with a mixture of lithium hydroxide (LiOH), lithium carbonate (Li2CO3), and lithium nitride (Li3N). Lithium hydroxide represents a potentially significant hazard because it is extremely corrosive". In other words, much more dangerous that a gasoline fire, and extremely much more pollution.

And health effects for those near a Tesla fire is even worse. The environmental protection agency (EPA) have stated that "use of extremely powerful solvents in the creation of lithium electrolytes and cathodes to everything from cancer to neurological problems. Specifically, the cobalt used in the creation of the most energy dense lithium-ion batteries is poisonous and extremely carcinogenic. Pulmonary, neurological, and respiratory problems have all been connected to cobalt exposure". So, extremely much more dangerous than a gasoline fire.

So while tesla claims that the fire risk is "less than gasoline cars", when they occur they are much more dangerous to passengers, environment and first responders..
    ps! NTSB estimates that 287,000 cars catches fires just in the USA, each year, so a real problem..

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kirillos and G. Pepper like this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    everyone in this thread should be required to watch this! the early drama starting launch control etc is 100% user error not familiar with system.

bberg009 likes this.
  22. Kirillos

Kirillos Administrator
    Admin

Nov 8, 2017
    Russia, Rostov-on-Don
    Full Name:
    Kirill Noga
    There is nothing perfect. In our time even phones light up.
    Tesla now has the lowest percentage of fires.
    But the damage to the environment is indeed a problem, as well as the creation and disposal of Tesla batteries, as evidenced by the case from Singapore

This makes us create a new vision of what we are used to, instead of constantly improving the "steam engine"

bberg009 and G. Pepper like this.
  23. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    UPS Airlines Flight 6 was brought down by a fire started by auto ignition of 81,000 lithium battery cells. A Tesla Model S has 7,000.

G. Pepper and bberg009 like this.
  24. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    The truck may need approx 12 times as many battery cells as the Model S.

25. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The batteries have an extremely long usable life in the car, and once they are no longer suited for that they will still be useful for fixed energy storage for decades. Beyond that they can be recycled.

Kirillos likes this.