The Purosangue Thread | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Lamborghini launched the Urus super-SUV and to my eyes it looks like a spaceship. In the case Ferrari makes a similar move what do you think a Ferrari SUV should be? Image Unavailable, Please Login

KSMUC, kingsdental and Astrid.Didier like this.
  2. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    V12 and nothing less but in reality v8t.
    How can they make suv differ I have no idea and also should they be different at all?
    It is suv after all...

3. BoochZilla

BoochZilla Rookie

Jul 10, 2016
    Yuck. Exotic SUV’s jumped the shark with the Bentayga. Ferrari should not dilute its magic. Eject goose!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Do we need another Ferrari SUV thread ?

Astrid.Didier and Boomhauer like this.
  5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I don't know you tell me…...

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    There is a sense of fear at Ferrarichat...

imahorse, Dat and of2worlds like this.
  7. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    It's an extension of the use of the VAG group platform currently used for the Bentayga, Toureg, Cayenne and Q7 so it makes sense to rebody it and place another brand on it.

Seeing as SUV;s are such a large market segment and almost entirely responsible for keeping Porsche afloat then is it a sensible business decision to completely ignore the entire segment?

Viperjoe and x z8 like this.
  8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Let me give you a clue.....NO.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Well there you are.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  10. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Lamborghini did it because, obviously they have history with the LM002. I don't see the reason why Ferrari should go for an SUV. They can compete Lamborghini differently.

cwall and MDEL like this.
  11. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    In my opinion, its always good more discussions. Another SUV thread or not. People are free not to open it.

Urus...well, it's not my cup of tea. And sharing the platform with several other "cousins" takes away some of the mystique. ... But for sure it will sell A LOT - mostly in the Middle East, US(?) and China(?).

But of course, Lamborghini isn't Ferrari. Even if some people have products from the two brands, the essence of these two families is different.

Plus, Ferrari already has "its" SUV - the Alfa Romeo Stelio QV. I hope it keeps it that way. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

x z8, Caeruleus11, MDEL and 1 other person like this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There is also the Maserati Levante - I'm not sure Ferrari will resist using it as a platform for a SUV.

Although officially Ferrari is now independent from FIAT, it would be similar to the Lamborghini / Porsche connection.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Ferrari, the world, Fchat, and the Pope may all want a FUV but the reality of the moment is Ferrari cannot make one. The factory in Maranello is at near capacity production. To increase would mean that the bottlenecks in production would need to be fixed - and that will be expensive.

If Ferrari plans on a FUV/SUV, they need to either expand the factory or create a whole new one. and that would be years away.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It may not look nice, but they could subcontract the SUV manufacturing to whatever underused FIAT factory...

15. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I thought Sergio Marchionne had already confirmed they would be a Ferrari SUV?

16. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I thought he basically did too. Interesting the moving the lusso to a v8 only. Maybe there is a v12 SUV that slots in. IMHO (and not my original thought...stole from a friend) but i believe an SUV is a bad idea. If SM wants to generate more revenue why not amp up the LE cars. There is clearly a market for them. I would have loved to have gotten in on a TDF. There has to be a better way for ferrari than an SUV

17. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Unless it was a re adged Stelvio/Levante and run on one of their productions lines, then finished internally to a different specification.

18. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I saw the original concept Urus in Sant Agata, which maintains more of the Lamborghini DNA and is a lovely machine. This just looks like it's been put through the Audi Q7 rinse cycle.

rssf, G. Pepper, matt0 and 1 other person like this.
  19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ricardo what you mentioned is very true and I agree. Lamborghini isn’t Ferrari and neither are Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin and even Maclaren but I suspect all of them would love to be like Ferrari or at least share the charisma. Ferrari has a history of making very appealing and very special sports cars with amazing driving experiences and an SUV seems at first sight to be the antithesis of everything they’ve been building. Ferrari has never offered a four doors vehicle to the public and very few companies with Ferrari projection can claim such a thing.

Ferrari has been extremely successful with every model they’ve launched and they have a waiting list that stretches for years. Not needing the volume and the profits which are already stratospheric, what will be the point of building an SUV ? just to satisfy an existing potential market and mark it’s presence in it ? I wonder what a Ferrari SUV addition to the present line would do to the global brand recognition has the number one in the art of making super sports cars.

20. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    Sorry to say but yuk! The Levante and Stelvio are much better looking cars than this!

Obviously it's going to sale a lot 'cos... lifestyle SUV!

MDEL and Makuono like this.
  21. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Aston are planning a 4x4 version of the DB11 and it looks hideous, I saw the prototype at Salon Privi last year. Flared arches and larger wheels with jacked up suspension. At least the Lambo looks typically edgy and aggressive especially in black or dark grey and will no doubt sell well but it has an enormous Audi / Porsche parts bin at it's disposal which makes life a lot easier. Ferrari would have to start from scratch or jack up the Lusso and flare the arches which would definitely send me running for the hills.

The Stelvio QV goes very well but some of the internal trim is still hard plastic and the switch gear doesn't feel premium enough plus the front is good looking but the back end is too generic, could be a Hyundi crossed with a Kia with a touch of Lexus thrown in for good measure.

Now if Ferrari did an 'Outback' version of the Lusso with 4x4, extra high suspension lift option, under body protection, V8tt motor as an LE version it would i think be a winner as long as it still looked like a Lusso.

otakki, Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  22. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    You mentioned the Aston DB11 4X4 and I agree that is really hideous and a perfect example of how a SUV like that, completely displaced from Aston's core business, could eventually destroy a lifetime conquered reputation as being a builder of great sports cars with style. Since Ferrari doesn't have the available production capacity to make an SUV at it's factory and the profits it would generate are already achieved now by the company with the existing models, probably we wan't be seeing soon a car/truck with the cavallino emblems. Whatever Ferrari decides do make in the future I sincerely hope isn't the SUV version of the f12 b in the picture below which almost paralyzed me the first time I saw it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

R J, Kiwi599, WJHMH and 2 others like this.
  23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's totally unsubstantiated. Even Alfa doesn't build cars outside of its own factories, not to mention Maserati. Ferrari would never do that. Enough with the doomsaying!

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I did not suggest I had some insider information, but in case there is a willingness to dramatically increase production that would be a solution. Most manufacturers (including Alfa I guess) suffer from overcapacity and that's why it's not an option for them, it's not that they reject the idea that some of their cars be built in another manufacturer's factory.
    It seems obvious that Ferrari has production limits given its current factory, so I would not understand these talks about extending the range if there would be no plan. We might also discover that all these talks are to prepare us to see soon Ferrari launch the building of a new factory.
    Ferrari is profitable enough and it would be better (truer to its spirit) with a production strictly limited to 10,000 units per year, without any SUV. The problem is that the share price (at its current level) needs to be supported by the prospect of a significant growth, which is not possible to reach by increasing the margins (which are already high) and therefore requires a volume increase.

25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    When the Stelvio was just a rumoured model there were whispers that it might be manufactured in Chrysler plant for the American market. Marchionne said that Alfas will always be built in Italy by AR themselves. It goes without saying that the same applies to Maserati and Ferrari.

Makuono likes this.