Gas fumes in cabin... | FerrariChat

Gas fumes in cabin...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by miami355, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I'm getting raw gas fumes in the cabin. Any idea where this could be coming from? I'm talking raw fuel, not exhaust. Thanks for any advice!

2. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Not positive about the fuel line routing on the i, but on the GT the tanks are in the trunk and the fuel lines pass through the spare tire well and under the car to the pumps before snaking into the driver's side frame rail to the front. I'd start in the trunk and trace them forward until you find the leak.

3. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Review the parts manual for hose routing. You can find it on eurospares website in the 400 mechanical section. Review all of your hose clamps while system is running check for fuel on your hands. There are inlet and return lines on both carbs. Pumps are rear drivers side wheel. Inlets and fuel filters and vent hoses are in trunk under spare tire cover. Good luck and be careful. I have one in mine right now I have to locate.

4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    +365,that's where my smell came from.

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    What model are you talking about? Your profile says you drive a 360

6. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    This is out of left field, but it might help.

My GTC4 had a persistent fuel/exhaust smell that turned out to be entering the cabin through a pair of (unused) rear parcel shelf speakers. The paper cones had disintegrated with age thus making a big opening to the boot/trunk space.

Fixing that issue totally eliminated smells entering the cabin from the back.

Regards

WM

7. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Just updated profile. I just purchased a 400i, you'll see it in a previous post. Interesting that the blown speaker allowed gas from the trunk area to pass through.

8. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Interesting, might be part of the problem. Now I have an excuse to change the speakers right away.

9. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Bin the rear speakers - they're not original anyway! :)

10. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I have found that if I fill the tanks with gas I get the smell. I've gone to not filling all the way up and I have no problems now.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    There are about 17000 fuel lines in these cars. Well ok, that was a bit if an exaggeration. But there really are quite a few. There is the short big rubber hose that connects the filler to the left tank. Then there is the medium size tube that connects the left and right tanks. Then there is the fuel return line (in you have carbs) then the line to the fuel filter plus the vents for both tanks. Probably best to replace everything.
    As far as the bad speaker allowing the gas smell into the cabin I'd say the trunk shouldn't smell like gas to begin with.

12. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Pull the boot (trunk) boards out and you will see the tanks and most of the hoses quite well. A pin hole leak in the tank will cause a discolouration in the insulation coating (ask me how I know).

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    If you need to replace any of the hoses contact Dave Helms. He has had special hoses made up that stand up to modern gas formulas.

14. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    It's self evident that it is better to fix the root cause of the problem, but it is probably a good idea to keep any fuel or exhaust fumes out of the cabin. At the very least you will get fewer complaints from the co-pilot (until they smell the luggage ;)).
    You can see how much exhaust gas swirls around the back of the car by the amount of soot that accumulates on the rear panels of 365's (all versions) and even new trunk rubbers don't always seal well.

Regards

WM

15. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Its not just the gas lines under pressure but the vent and return lines that can contribute to the smell. If your lines are more than maybe 20 years old they should be replaced.

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I agree. I did have a fuel line rupture. Gas went everywhere. Since the rupture was at a level below the tanks the gas didn't stop until it all ran out. The only good part of this story is this happened when I first started the car and a by stander saw the gas and I shut it off immediately. It the rupture would have happened 5 minutes later there is a good chance my car would no longer exist. Don't under any circumstances ignore a gas smell!