Sticky RX - Growing Pains and the Next 6-8 weeks | FerrariChat

Sticky RX - Growing Pains and the Next 6-8 weeks

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dave rocks, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hello Guys,

First off, I'd like to express our great appreciation to the Fchat community for the support we have received - thank you all and best wishes to you all for a safe and enjoyable upcoming Thanksgiving.

As many of you know (that have used our refinishing services), we strive to provide the absolute best quality refinishing available in the world and it's no accident how we do so.

Unlike the exterior of a car, dust in the finish cannot be wet sanded and buffed. So, any dust in the finish must be sanded and another coat applied. We apply a minimum of 2 finish coats but on larger parts such as steering covers, it can be as many as 5 or 6 to achieve a dust free, flawless finish.

That said, our current paint booth is a professional, open face booth. While brain surgery could be done in our 3.5 year old, state of the art facility, dust is dust.

A few months back I worked to design a new, custom, paint booth / clean room system. Once my concept was complete, we had to find a manufacturer and we did and the system is on order. Last week I approved the drawings and the system is due 4 weeks from today. But, it's like a giant erector set and we will be tasked with the mechanical assembly, wiring and duct work. We are extremely excited about this new, $50,000 system (yes, you read that correctly) :)

While it will be a rather daunting next 6-8 weeks, when complete, this system will greatly reduce rework and provide a road to shorter lead times. Furthermore, this system is a 2-booth system (capacity for 2 painters). Once in operation, we will be hiring another painter to increase capacity and take some load off me.

All of this said, any orders received from now until the new year are subject to longer than normal lead time. We also have a substantial backlog in the shop now.

Our prep department will not have any interruption (aside from the Holidays) but the painting department will. So, I don't want to deter anyone from sending in orders however I want folks to be aware that it will take some time for us to complete and we request patience through the next 6-8 weeks.

I'm very forthcoming that I will gladly lose your order before we rush your order and sacrifice quality. That will never change.

Thank you all and feel free to contact me anytime with questions.

My best,

Dave

paulchua, ShineKen, anunakki and 5 others like this.
  2. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Congrats on the new paint booth/room. I'm sure that everything will work out as planned knowing how meticulous you are.

Dave rocks likes this.
  3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Congrats Dave! Good to hear it will give you time to breath a bit yourself, at least a little bit :)

Dave rocks likes this.
  4. luffy

luffy Rookie

Apr 22, 2006
    I'd think that you could split your orders pretty easily between owners currently driving their cars this time of year (sensitive to time delays), and those putting them away for winter storage. Perhaps some owners facing a long winter could volunteer their spot in line for those who may be counting the days until their cars are back together.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #5 Dave rocks, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Well, we have been at this for a while and it doesn't work like that. We also service a bunch of dealers and independent shops. Increasing our capacity is the only option. And, it's impossible to hold time slots open. First off we process many orders simultaneously and second people say they will send parts on a certain day yet they get busy and don't. Our current system works very well.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Guys,

Just to provide an update:

After this week, we are shutting down the paint department for 2-3 weeks. Next week we will be rearranging a few sections of the shop to free up the floor space for the new paint booth system, along with some other process flow improvements. We are firmly taking delivery of the new system on 12/20 and will begin installation the same or next day. A lot has to happen. We need to cut some holes thru the back block wall of the shop for exhaust ducting, we are running a new sub-panel for power to the back of the shop and we need to mechanically assemble / install the new system and wire in when done. Oh, some compressed air line work too.

More than likely, once we get to a certain point we will continue to use our current system (in a new location within the shop) until we can get this new system fully operational. Prep work on orders will continue thru this, aside from the holidays.

Thank you all for your patience during this time of growth and improvements.

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dave, congratulations! This is a great problem to have.

Dave rocks likes this.
  8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I will be sending some parts over in 2018 once the new booth is fully up and running.

Congrats Dave on the developments. Hope you get some time off soon to recharge.

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sounds great. When my friends were creating the Iron Man suits for the first movie they ended up having to do the same thing. There was just no way to control the dust otherwise

Dave rocks likes this.
  10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you for your support, Elliott. We have a large AUS following and I think you are responsible for a great deal of it :)

MAD828 likes this.
  11. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I’m giddy and glad to be in the que!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave rocks likes this.
  12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ferris Bueller, cavlino and ShineKen like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Jesus H Christ! WTF are you building?

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    LOL - yeah, it's a giant erector set ;)

This is one of 2 booths - they are connected with a clean room in the middle - this is all the details I will post :) I will post some overall photos when completed and perhaps a few as we assemble ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferris Bueller and whatheheck like this.
  16. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I might be free for a day or two if you need another set of hands. I've been repairing a lot of equipment in the past 2 weeks and I'm getting caught up. Let me know.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Is this all for sticky parts????

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Very generous of you, Josh but we are all set. Thank you.

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, Sir, Dale. 100% dedicated for Sticky RX. We are 100% committed to continuous improvement and perfect quality. Our customers and the Ferrari community deserve it and we will always strive for excellence;)

cavlino and Texas Forever like this.
  20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As Vince Lombardi said: "Nobody is perfect, but if we strive for perfection we can catch excellence"

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ferris Bueller and cavlino like this.
  22. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    This is such a great story, exactly what the USA is all about. A person identifies a need for a product or service. Provides it then figures out how to make the process even better. Congratulations on a job well done!

Dave rocks likes this.
  23. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Congratulations Dave! You and you’re shop are becoming the ultimate source for “Sticky” interior part refurbishing. My 550 interior looks better than when it came from the factory thanks to Sticky Rx. Ferrari’s poor quality control of its interior parts is your gain. Bravo and have a nice holiday and Happy New Year!

Dave rocks likes this.
  24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, fellas :) More to come later tonight ;)

25. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Hey Dave. You might have everything under control but let me know. Couple of us could take out the trash or push a broom around and stay out of your hair while the build goes on. Bruce