Track Days/Motorsport | Page 203 | FerrariChat

Track Days/Motorsport

Discussion in 'Australia' started by b27, Apr 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    important C-type Jag coming up for auction, good article that explains the history. This model begat the D-type then E-type and every other something-Type Jag that followed. Indirectly it caused the French-biased FIA to change sports car racing rules to a 3 litre limit, which was a big help to Ferrari.

Trigger warning for concorso-phobics, this car wins concours, even though it's used in historic events.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/12/01/driven-by-phil-hill-the-first-jaguar-c-type-to-win-a-race-in-the-u-s-heads-to-auction/

2. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Great post Ian beautiful car I'm a big C/D type fan with all the great stories of the guys who drove them especially the 1953 Le Mans a C type ,Mr Hamilton And co driver Mr Rolt .you couldn't write it:)

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Here at Adelaide, beautiful weather, great atmosphere but multiple car problems. One of my engine heater dry break fittings wasn't allowing coolant through. Took a couple of hours to trace, then 15 minutes to jury rig. All set for my 1st run and car wouldn't start - on board battery only had 8 volts. So off to Battery world for a replacement - the traffic here is surprisingly busy, not how I remembered from GP days. Fitted new battery and started first time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Steve355F1 likes this.
  4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Good luck for the weekend.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  5. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    ^^^^^^^^^+308!

6. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +355

Would have loved to come in tomorrow to watch Ian and check out all the other cars but, alas, not to be.

Post pics when you can, Ian.

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Steve355F1, knocker and greg246 like this.
  8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Stalled on the grid, but didn't get rear ended - still a win

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Or is it?

10. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ll ask Wes. ;)

Anyway, could be worse. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Rats! Good luck for today.

12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Just had my first run, New diff is awesome, rear end much more planted under heavy braking, much more traction out of corners. John Bowe complimented my driving :)

13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
  14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    On the road to Ouyen at the moment. Final run was a fizzer, oil at the hairpin at end of front straight, so they red flagged on lap 2. It could be a great event but just not enough track time for the effort. Plus too many nothing cars amongst the gems.

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Good to hear the diff is setup well man.

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    NOCWYT

17. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    the good old Hay plain, glad to see this cattle farmer is still in business. For a change this time he also had horses free-ranging on the roadside :) Image Unavailable, Please Login

kena likes this.
  18. kena

kena Formula 3

May 20, 2007
    Salt Ash
    Full Name:
    Ken Abrahams
    City Slicker. I'ts the Long Paddock not Free Range that's for chooks. :)

kerrari likes this.
  19. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    "Awh shucks, thanks Pardner." ;)

20. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Ian, got the e-mail regarding new licensing requirements for Historic Cars. I currently just use a Clubman Circuit License so does that mean I will need to do an OLT prior to entering PI? (Have actually already paid and entered so may have to pull out of event). License is up for renewal ATM (31/1/18) so not sure if it is just a simple process of just paying the extra $180 for NC on the renewal??

The only OLT in VIC prior to PI is at Sandown and my car won't meet the 75dB limit so not possible . It struggles to meet the 95dB limit.

21. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Brett,

you're not caught up in the "high performance endorsement" net, for the moment it's F1, Indy and F5000 drivers only. Lucky us...

Speak to the organisers of Phillip Island, if they accepted you with a Clubman license last year, they should do so again. Let me know if you need a contact name.

You'll need a full NC license to run at Eastern Creek, so I recommend you get this organised at the next opportunity.

Ian

22. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Thanks Ian,

Read it again with a fresh head and see that NC is now a requirement for the car I have. I'll upgrade to NC when I renew my License in January. I assume an observation is required at that point and can get that done when I compete at PI in March. I was on a P plate when I did PI this year to get my License so all should be good.

"Additionally, a National Circuit licence will be the minimum requirement for the following 5th Category Historic vehicle Groups:

• Groups Q and R FIA 2L Formula Two (2000cc)
    • Group R Formula 3000/Formula Holden (all)
    • Groups Q and R Sports over 2 Litre engine capacity
    • FIA prototypes Group C1 and C2 Sports (all)"
    First time I have seen them refer to FIA prototype Group C1 and C2 as opposed Q&R racing/sports?? Mine is a C2 car.

Been so busy with work. Can't wait to get back on track again. Going to do a test day in Feb. Where did the year go.......

23. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    FIA terminology and rules are creeping into our regulation, largely because CAMS is run by people with little or no motorsport experience, they are professional bureaucrats and there's nothing that people like that love more than European over-regulation.

I can see a future where we will need a superlicence to drive big power historic cars (which is the situation in Europe now) and, if you look up the process for getting one, you'll see that it's impossible for an amateur driver (you need to do 2 full seasons of something like F3 and get a minimum number of podiums - good luck with that if you're over 17) meanwhile despite the onerous regulations, a historic F1 driver was tragically killed this year at Zandvoort. We've never had a fatality in Australia...

So drive your C2 car every chance you get - don't wait for time, make time. Otherwise you'll either be regulated out of it or get too old to keep up with it!

24. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    Interestingly, in the 15 years I have been competing, there has been a significant downgrading by CAMS of the licensing for tarmac rallying. When I first started you needed a full FIA international rally license, basically the same as WRC. It cost around $1200pa, and was a pain in the arse to jump through the hoops. I think CAMS was pressured by event organisers and participants and it was downgraded to National Rally. Now they have the "sports" type categories and TSD where you are limited to 130kmh. For TSD you just need a basic 2LS, which requires no observed licensed test, theory exam etc, just pay your money. That qualifies you to drive your uncaged street car on wet mossy roads at 130km through windy gorges and forests :eek::eek::eek:

Despite that, in the time I have been doing tarmac rallies there have been at least 11 deaths I can recall :(

Yet as you mention they are making it harder to compete on circuits. Go figure :confused:

25. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, here it is.

7.77km of opportunities for Moretti to break down with Benny Hill in the background, Wes to park sideways, Phil to do 300kmh down the straight in a 458, Peter to abuse everyone, Ian to take points off for, well, anything, me to demonstrate the benefits of shields and the F1 gearbox, and Gary can even fly everyone in and out via the runway next door! (Provided they install an ILS, otherwise he might get scared and not know what to do...)

:D

https://www.thebend.com.au/motor-racing-circuit

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Maranello550 likes this.