Jealousy and rude on roads. | FerrariChat

Jealousy and rude on roads.

Discussion in '360/430' started by 2bf360, Dec 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    Most of the times when I took my car out for a run I got a thumb up, cheerful waves and camera video taken. Today is different. When I tried to yield onto freeway entrance, I gave my light signal for a long moment. But a guy in a small SUV wouldn’t let me in. Then later, on the freeway I gave signal to change lane, a guy in a Prius flipped me off. He got 3 to 4 car length in front of him, plenty of room. The only thing I can think of, with some people so jealous what I drive and act inappropriately. People feel that way is so wrong. I work hard and I deserved to have the dream car that I want. I like to know the Fcar owners out there ran into the same experiences like I did today. Please share your thoughts. Thank you and happy holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bball16, Afonsolaw and kes7u like this.
  2. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I've only had my car for about 1.5 months and most of that time has been positive like you mentioned with thumbs up, waves, or cell phone pics. I actually find it humorous in the way that most try to be subtle in taking pics of the car, whether standing on the sidewalk or driving next to you, yet it's done so obviously that you can't help but smile or laugh.

However, I did get a soccer mom in a SUV who cussed me out and flipped me off bc I went through an intersection where I had the right of way and she was waiting in the other direction to make an unprotected left turn. I have no other reason to think that she went off on me other than bc I was driving a Ferrari. There were cars that were in front of me that went through and didn't get cussed out or flipped off so the ugly head of jealously definitely came out of her on that one. Just shrug it off and don't bother with them, in the end, it's your car, who cares what other people think.

Dano360NC likes this.
  3. blown94conv

blown94conv Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    Berlin, CT
    Full Name:
    David
    Drive a BMW, and you’ll get it all the time. I drive the same no matter what I drive, and I get rude reactions far more in the BMW then I do in an Excursion. For example, guy waiting for his special shade of green to appear, I beep the horn once quickly. In the BMW, raised center finger. In the Excursion, nothing. Get behind a woman in the left lane sight seeing, she moved over and then the finger. Same situation in the truck, nothing.

ThePrancingOgure likes this.
  4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I get some of that behaviour when I'm not even driving my Ferrari lol.
    Maybe there's something about how you drive as well....either too slow and deliberate (which is a drag to drive behind) or too presumptuous.
    Hard to tell what others are thinking. But I'm sure some ppl try and put one over the "rich guy " in the only way they know they can,
    Forget about it and just enjoy yourself.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Try a RR same result. haters are going to hate... :) I will say that in my new car people freak out in a positive way and whip out their cameras and I get smiles and thumbs up - never got that in my Ferrari's for whatever reason.

gsworld2014 likes this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You may have just run into someone having a bad day. At the end of the day, you're driving a Ferrari, and 90% of the people on the road would likely trade cars with you in a heart beat...T

imahorse likes this.
  7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I guess it also has some to do with where you live. In LA, you can get the middle finger any day and every day. I just wave back with the same one... this in my Ferrari, Mercedes, or Honda.

8. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It happens. First month of owning my 430, a guy on a motorcycle who passed me going in the opposite direction flipped me off. I had my son in the car and we both looked at each other and wondered why? But as others have said, it was mainly positive. I was surprised at the number of younger people who gave me a thumbs up though.

9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Nothing so far with the 360. But with that said, I did have a similar incident in my 911. Same thing, me in my 911 behind a guy on a 4 lane divided highway in a Hyundai. He was in the left lane with no real traffic to speak of. He was going 30mph in a 45mph zone. I am patient and never tailgate. After a 1/4 mile it became obvious he was not going to move over into the right lane. So (again with virtually no traffic) I pulled over into the right lane, downshifted, and cruised by him. I got about 4 to 5 car lengths ahead and dipped back into the left lane.

At the next red light I stop and a young guy in his twenties in the Hyundai pulls up next to me, gets out of his car and starts ranting. The passenger side window is up so I really cannot tell what he's yelling. But he yells and then spits on my window, goes back into his Hyundai grabs something (metal, I heard it hit) and throws it at my car. He's in the right turn lane and I'm in the straight lane, and the light changes and he turns.

Now I'm not a small guy and I thought about confronting him but my maturity got the best of me. Anyone can have a bad day but, brother, WTF?

So far so good with the 360. Only had it since late August and everyone seems to be cool with it. But you never know...

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Sorry this happened, but it doesn’t seem to matter what you drive. People do this to other cars, too. It’s just that you don’t think your car is a causative factor because other cars are not a Ferrari. There are other drivers who are jerks, and just are that way. Enjoy your car and don’t let other drivers’ behavior get to you. You worked hard for your car and deserve to drive it on public roads just as much as everyone.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I tend to just look forward while driving these days. Not to say my situational awareness is absent. When I drive my hummer H1, that thing is very hard to ignore and the command presence is made even more so with dual military antennas and added armor. People who choose to negatively get your attention just want YOU to give them attention. Notice meeee tooooo!!!! Also road rage is a thing.

Just keep driving and enjoy!

DanielDaniel likes this.
  12. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    With some people they are definitely jealous and having a bad day and they see this exotic car on the road and they decide they are going to take their frustrations out on you. I have had similar incidents best thing to do is to avoid them and ignore. I also found it's best to be careful where you take these exotic cars best to be in areas where people are classy and have respect.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Never ever ever happened to me in the TR. Only love for the TR. Feel like a rockstar driving it;)

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My problem was Mustangs who would come up next to me and "rev" their engines. For some reason it was always Mustangs.

I did get more "thumbs up" though, even from the Metro Las Vegas Police department. :)

timjen88, Need4Spd and bball16 like this.
  15. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I also think it’s partly because of the holiday season. I was driving in a mall parking lot the other day and a crazy mom in a minivan thought she could steal a parking space from me. Turns out she misread my intent. I wasn’t interested in the space. She practically crashed two cars to get to it. Really all I could do was laugh since there was no competition for the space, yet she went nuts over it.

16. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    My guess is that people are jealous and want to feel like they are ahead of the guy in the Ferrari at least once in their miserable life, that´s why they cut you off or don´t let you in. First three days of ownership i got a bottle thrown at my 430 for no reason. Car was just parked with engine off.

17. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    Agreed 100%

John_K_348 and Afonsolaw like this.
  18. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    I live in a small Northern European country where's basically everything costs a fortune due the ridiculous taxation and a "welfare society" with free dental care, free health care, free unemployment care etc. Fuel costs a fortune (at least 2x more than lets say in the USA), cars cost 1,5-2x more than in the USA, yearly "enviroment based car taxation" is ridiculous etc. So basically here's no real exotic cars around like Lamborghinis or Aston Martins. but plenty of Porsche's and performance Audis, Mercs etc. During this whole summer season 2017 I saw a Ferrari maybe 3-4 times on the road (except for Cars & Coffee type of events). There's like 2 Aventador's in the whole country of 5,6 million peoples.

Anyway, with my former Porsche there was some serious "road rage", ppls racing from the traffic lights, blocking, kind of yelding over you and so forth. With my 360 Modena, which is a rare car around here, nothing. Not a single issue during the "summer season" of 2017 and around 6k miles driven with her. 99% of commuters are "thumbs up", opening their windows in order to hear the Ferrari engine (even while I'm not revving nor accelerating). Of course there's always those who are just annoyed, they pretend they don't see the car, they pretend they do not care, they try their best to ignore that there's a Ferrari at the traffic lights (compared how rare even a 360 Modena is over here). Those kind of peoples just make me laugh, plain sight. Its so sad if someones fortune makes someone else feeling angry or disrespectful.

Texas Forever and Afonsolaw like this.
  19. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It’s just some people’s bizarre nature at times, and that half or more of the population is medicated and not in full control of their emotions or actions. I’ve had people bump into me in a store then tell me to “watch out”. Out in a ratty work truck, made eye contact, nodded and smiled at the driver in a car coming by the opposite direction and got the bird. People are often just peaved about some thing or another and looking for a dog to kick. Mirror neurons......they likely just got offended themselves, so the natural thing to do, in their mind, is offend someone else.

Texas Forever and Afonsolaw like this.
  20. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    People in Prius’s aren’t jealous, they think we are jerks for driving cars that may be hurting our environment. I have been driving Ferrari’s for 12 years and I generally get positive responses.

Just moved to central PA and young men in large pickups are the subset that target me the most for “racing”. I love to have them race me and I limp along as they blow my doors off, I love that.

21. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    People in cars flipping you off , is in their world, a perceived safe way of venting their frustrations knowing that they are in a protected environment where there would be no verbal or physical confrontation from the other person. My attitude toward them is "F....em if they can't take a joke"

After all, I live in New Jersey.

John_K_348 and Afonsolaw like this.
  22. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Guys in Porsches usually try n bait me into a "race". Haha... I don't bite.

Lamborghini drivers are worse.

While on the freeway, a large pack of cars sometimes forms around me which results in uneasiness. I'll drop the hammer to pull away
    ... and you all know that doesnt take much.

Have never been flipped off while driving the Spider.... lots of pointing though.

23. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Here in Silicon Valley, there are a lot of nice cars... but we still have our run-ins with those who are clearly jealous. Whether driving the 16M or the Huracan Spider, people are taking my car's picture all the time, I don't mind that except when they do stupid things to get close and sometimes at speed. The people who are clearly the most put-off are guys in work trucks (pickups or vans). When I see these trucks, I give them a wide berth because a) it's not their truck and b) they never give way and actually go out of their way to become a nuisance to me.

When you have these cars, you need to drive defensively 100% of the time. If you drive overly aggressively, park poorly or act entitled you'll only bring down more of this behavior.

24. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yes, there are lots of nice folks out there (they never seem to run in packs, though) who give a thumbs-up or a wave. Unfortunately, they're few and far between - most people these days don't appear to be worth the oxygen they're wasting and will go out of their way to vent whatever little frustrations they think they have, not discounting pure malevolence, of course.

Live is way too short to ever worry about what anyone else thinks of you, but some of the aggressive behavior described above is eventually not going to end well for the perpetrators.

25. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I definitely hear what you're saying and don't disagree, by any means. My situational awareness is always high, on the road and off - especially so when driving the F-car (though the same effect was possibly even worse in the Ultima) - and defensive driving is the only intelligent approach to take.

That said, the notion that one's own behavior is somehow responsible for the aggression of others seems akin to suggesting that a girl's short skirt is responsible for her being assaulted. While it's impossible to rule out as a contributing factor, I'll put the blame squarely and entirely on the perp.

fc2 and KC360 FL like this.