Conflicted about first purchase. Help? | FerrariChat

Conflicted about first purchase. Help?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chadwick Ferrari, Dec 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    Greetings all. First post, but I have lurked around for quite some time.

I am looking to purchase a used car within the next month or so, and I am conflicted about it and could use a little nudging.

I am on the fence between an 430, 458, 570s, R8, Gallardo. Wildly different cars and price points I realize. I've driven several so it's not really about which performs better, which looks better, etc. I drive an F80 M3 for my daily, so I am looking for something more connected, visceral and fun.

I am a business man, not frugal, but disciplined. Money is important of course, but I can afford it. I don't like waste, and while I know there is no economic justification (in most cases) for these cars I am conflicted about one thing: Worrying about the car instead of enjoying it. In that sense I feel like I would enjoy the 430 or Gallardo more as I would be less worried about it.

That's the background. The real question is therefore this: If I do start with the 430, will I regret it? Or will the relative peace of mind bring greater enjoyment, get me into the super car game and out of it if it's not for me?

Rambling a bit here. Any thoughts appreciated.

bjackson2718 likes this.
  2. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I found myself, earlier this year, deciding between the F430 and the 458. Both great cars, both engaging and fun to drive, and both within my budget. I also wondered about whether I'd be reluctant to take the car (either one) to various locations because I'd be worried about parking it for a period of time. It wasn't a huge factor, but it was on my mind.

As a practical guy - not price-conscious, but always value-conscious - I also considered that the 458 is likely still at least a couple of years from the bottom of its depreciation curve. I wound up buying a 430 and haven't regretted it for a moment.

What a fantastic car! I drive it almost everywhere. If it's not raining and I won't have a ton of packages, I usually take it instead of the Tesla (though that's going soon - a long story).

Bottom line: whichever model you choose, take your time to locate the best possible example. That assessment is naturally comprised of multiple considerations, some (such as options, coloring, etc.) are quite personal, while others are not. Don't fall in love with any one car, as there will always be another coming down the pike shortly. Don't get too wrapped up in sellers' delusional fantasy valuations, either. Know what it's worth - and what it's worth to you - and stick to your numbers.

Anyway, that's my early-A.M. two cents. If I went on a bit, it's probably down to fluctuating caffeine levels... :)

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I know what you're talking about. I too would be paranoid driving a quarter million dollar car around. My solution is to buy Ferraris that have fully depreciated. My previous '01 456M had a sticker price of $237K, but I got it off the lot for $75K in 2012 with only 7K miles on it (Sorting it out to perfection took another $15K or so, just so you're aware of what cost of ownership can be if you are a ruthless perfectionist, as I am).

So, if I were you, I'd look for a clean low mileage F430 with a complete service history. I don't follow the Lambo market, but if it's a coin toss for you, the same goes for a Gallardo.

Those are your best bets, IMO.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you think the extra fifty or hundred grand will affect your enjoyment then don't do it - having said that you might feel comforted by the newness and its associated upsides such as warranty (although Ferrari and I think McLaren now have lengthy extensions available)

There was a lengthy 430 vs 458 (& California) thread in this section a few days ago which might provide additional ideas and I suspect there are multiple 458 vs McLaren and 458 vs Gallardo & 430 vs Gallardo threads in the model sections

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    458. close the thread.

DrewH likes this.
  6. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    That captures my sentiments quite well thank you.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    That's my feeling on the 458 as well and why I have been favoring the 430. I also prefer the looks of it, but I fell in love with the 360 years ago so that overall look is somewhat nostalgic for me.

Appreciate the feedback.

8. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yep, I also prefer the looks of the 430 to the 458. That's not a popular opinion amongst the 'newer is better' crowd, but I've never cared a whit about that.

nicholasn and G. Pepper like this.
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Looks,458 wins
    Value, 430 wins
    Buy a 328, that way you will never worry about where to park it, whether the Toyota is faster (it is). Relive your Thomas Magnum dream.

TODDZTR and cavlino like this.
  10. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Do note that the F430 and Gallardo will feel distinctly last gen compared to your M3. The electronics and gearbox really show it's age.

The 458 will still feel like it comes from the same era as your M3.

11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If you go the Ferrari route I would suggest the 458 - simply to make it as trouble free as possible. The 430s are at an age that once you get it, you may have some sorting to do, and fairly costly repairs can pop up (even if you have a PPI) - as your first Ferrari experience you don't want that to sour your experience. Additional with the DCT and other technological advancements it is a more modern car.

12. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you'll have any hesitation taking out the 458, then I'd suggest going with the 430 too. Great cars both of them - get the one you'll drive and enjoy worry-free. You can always swap out once you get comfortable driving a Ferrari and realize it's no big deal, though you may not want to.

If you have the money for a nice 458 but want a truly visceral Ferrari experience, consider a scud. Many of them on the market today priced below 458s.

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    Good point. In many respects I miss that feeling from older vehicles, but that might be more nostalgia than reality. I'll test drive. Otha back to back..

14. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I have had both the 430 and 458. If you can have either, the only reason to pick the 430 is so you will be able to know how much better the 458 is when you make the trade up.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have owned a lot of cars (more than any normal person should in 10 lifetimes), and I am probably the polar opposite of most people, not disciplined at all. I have owned a few Ferrari's, a Gallardo (converted to RWD the only way to own one), and if you want visceral and connected well the R8 is like touching fine silk with rubber gloves on, about the most unexciting car I've ever driven, but I do despise AWD sports cars. I also happen to own a modified 4C and a Lotus Evora 400 (a stick), and it you want visceral and connected well you need to drive a 4C, it is a car you drive, not one that drives you like most modern cars. After 464 cars I really don't care what's on the badge anymore I care about how it drives and handles and not how others react to it. I do remember the times that I worried about the cars I had (thinking I cant take this car here for whatever reason), and if you become that way you end up with a car you look at and clean more than you drive. Truth be told I have been on this forum over 14 years, and I don't post as much as others do, since what I think is not always well received, but if someone asks for advise I try to give it the best way I know how. So the real question is this if you really want a true sports car the 4C can fit the bill at less then half the price (and you can get a new one) of a 430 or a 458 (I am not a fan of the looks of the newer models). The E gear in the Gallardo is pretty bad (get a stick and a LP560-2 or convert it to RWD), The R8, I was always told if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing. I'm saying nothing. The 430 is a great car (I had a gearshift coupe, the only car I regret selling), and honestly is more car than anyone would ever be able to use on the road. Just about everyone on here knows that, but that is not the reason people buy cars like Ferrari's, and Lamborghini's etc. I have come to understand why I buy so many cars, I see them all as blank canvasses for me to make something of for myself, nothing I own (other than my dogs Grand Cherokee transport) stays stock for long. I just bought a 19 year old 360 with 1200 miles on it and I already have a plan for it and parts ether here or coming, even tough it probably wont see much of the light of day until March. Why you want one of these cars is your business, and I do not know how the roads are where you live, or if you plan to track your car. Around here for the most part if you get to do 70 on the highway, you are lucky and unless you get up before sunrise (my favorite time to go for a drive) then you will be going 45 on the backroads. I wish you luck in your search. Happy Holidays (oh and feel free to disagree with any or all of the above)

nicholasn, TODDZTR, Azikosha and 8 others like this.
  16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Drive all 5 then buy the 458. End of your car abyss.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Do you want a car that can simply go fast? 458 no question.
    OR
    Do you want a car that you have to make go fast? F355.

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Do you want a car that simply goes fast? 458 no question.
    OR
    Do you want a car which you have to make go fast? F355.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I have driven most of these in my previous search, ended up buying a classic that just had more character. As far as these cars:

The only 430 I would buy is a Scuderia
    I would only buy an LP Gallardo, and would more than likely look into a Performante
    I am still leary about McLaren as a brand, and the 570S is depreciating rapidly now, after looking like it would buck the trend at first
    The "old" R8 was a heavy slug with boring styling....the new R8 is much better dynamically, but still bland

The only fault I could find about the 458 is the production figures, which leaves room for alot of depreciation in the future

If you can buy a 570S/458, you are close to a used Huracan....should be added to your list to evaluate

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yeah, I might agree with this. If you can swing a 458 then do it. The 570 will be faster and probably out handle the the 458 but the 458 IMO is just perfect in so many ways. I also I believe they are close to the bottom of the depreciation curve.

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I drove the R8 from Munich through Bavaria, into Austria, over the Alps down to Lake Garda, Verona and back. I loved the car. 4wd. Rockin’ DCT. I never felt uncomfortable during 3 or 4 hour rides like I do in any of my ferrari. Easy to get in and out of for my lady. A very good experience. Definitely daily driver adaptable.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The 458 is in a nice place as the most advanced naturally aspirated Ferrari mid-engine V8. Not going to predict they will go through the roof, because Ferrari made a lot of them, but they should be solid to hold their value.

23. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    I really appreciate the detail. I think the 4C is a gorgeous car.

I talked to the wife about my concern, and she said what would I regret never having? And I realize the privilege of being able to worry about such things, but it's a Ferrari. I haven't owned that many cars, so I think I need to scratch that itch.

Part of what concerns me the most is a lack of time. With the business, kids, family... there is no time at all. Driving is one of the few things I can do that truly clears my head, and if I spend that time worrying or dealing with reliability issues it's going to kill me.

Leaning 430 at this point, fully realizing that the 458 is a better car on paper.

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nothing wrong with your preference.
    I used to love the 430 until the 458 was released. I still love the 430, but love the 458 more.

25. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Yellow Compass an F chat sponsor has a Silver 430 spider listed for $135,000.........here on F chat.
    If I had the coin today I would jump on that, also he will ship for free to you.
    Mike is always saying call him and talk, and it has a 6 speed MANUAL.

Automoblog likes this.