Tesla 90D - distance & cold challenge | FerrariChat

Tesla 90D - distance & cold challenge

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by rob lay, Dec 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    tomorrow morning we're using the 90D to go 440 miles to Kansas where it will be down to 12 degrees end of the weekend. I will keep this thread updated how the trip goes there and back.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    8:30 AM: we're off in pouring rain and icy roads northern Oklahoma, typical Christmas holiday travel. :). at least we have the AWD. do love all the front and rear trunk space, no way we could pack dog, Kansas bags, and all my hunting stuff for after Kansas gun, bow, and equipment.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

we're starting with 288 mile range, we expect that to go way down little regenerative braking and highway speeds, we'll see. Unfortunately our perfect midpoint is between two superchargers OKC 190 miles and Perry 250 miles with 440 mile total trip. To make it one stop we will need to make Perry, otherwise we'll do two shorter charges OKC and Wichita.

davidoloan likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

JerryZ will be monitoring this thread i am sure ;)))

Happy holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anunakki and rob lay like this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    9:30 AM (1 Hour/66 miles): The Tesla range calculator is way off. I realize it is use to the city driving with regenerative braking and lower speeds, but first hour we have gone 66 miles, but used up 108 miles on range. It will be interesting the next hour if it has corrected itself or still 40% off.

Some good news though, the rain and icing has shifted east of our route going north.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Kaivball likes this.
  6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Are you tracking total charge station stop time?

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, so far 1st charge was 40 minutes plus if you want to include off interstate and on. all the charge stations about easy as gas station in and out close. next charge station in Perry, OK has restaurants.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so range in these cold temps is 180 miles, which makes this a 3 stop trip although one of those will just be a quick 10 minutes. the superchargers between Dallas and where we are going Kansas are located Ardmore, OKC, Perry, and Wichita. Dallas to OKC was 190 miles, which forced us to charge Ardmore, which then forces us to charge Perry and since 190 miles Perry to Kansas destination that requires a quick 10 minute Wichita charge. All we needed was 10 miles either side and it could have made it 2 stop. :D

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Quick 15 minute charge in Wichita and then we'll be home free. Actually just need 20 miles and this will give us about 80 miles.

Strange, but first used station next to X and was only getting half a charge. Strange they are paired up like that. Went one down and a good 352 mi/hr.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Good documenting of your trip!!

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sorry, we made it awhile ago. Final stats...

440 miles total
    8.5 hours (typical ICE trip 7 hours)
    1:45 total charging

It was slower, but Tesla handles interstate nice and we had all that room. We need to try this summer and I bet we could do it one stop.

Mom's 110 at old house just charging 4 miles hour, but she can take to supercharge station in town tomorrow.

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Rob, have you looked at evtripplanner.com? It will give you estimates, based on temperature, speed, etc, and seems to be pretty accurate.

Do you have "Range Mode" turned on? That makes a big difference on the highway, and in cold weather.

There are some other cold weather tricks, including pre-heating the car to about 5-10 degrees warmer than normal before you start, then drive the first 25-30 minutes using just the seat heaters. That can make a difference as well.

In the end, though, if it's cold enough that the car has to run the pack heating, there isn't that much you can do. I think range mode reduces that, however, but I'm not sure.

rob lay likes this.
  15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Run an extension cord from the clothes dryer? ;)

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Headed back this morning will stay at Oklahoma land a couple days. 365 miles total which if there was supercharge in perfect place midpoint we would only have one stop, but because of the distances stations Wichita, Perry, and Ardmore we have to stop all 3. Only Perry will we require a full charge though.

We had about 65% efficiency at 30 degrees, so we'll see what it is this morning at 18. At least little traffic on Christmas morning and we're leaving with snow on the ground. Only Mia's 2nd white Christmas.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Charging in Wichita, only need about 30 miles at 65% efficiency to safely make Perry, but whatever we charge here is less we have to charge in Perry. 26 degrees.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Seems like a hassle all these stops in the cold.;)
    Merry xmas!

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    not any worse than gas station stop except there are more of them. :)

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We stopped hour in Perry for full charge having lunch. We're now at Ardmore charging up 20 minutes before another 20 miles to our land. We can hook up to 110 there in barn. Efficiency didn't seen worse in 20 degrees than it did 32 degrees. Actually from Perry to here I slowed down to 72 mph and efficiency improved a bunch. Seems like difference between 72 and 80 a bunch for efficiency.

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    And longer for each stop. It takes 5-7 minutes to pick up another 300 miles of range in an ICE powered vehicle. 50 minutes is really a big difference. EVs have to fix the charging speed issue for widespread use.

Natkingcolebasket69 and gsfent like this.
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, I was talking off and on highway though. It is really apples and oranges. ICE dominates highway range and able to go 80-90 mph that same range highway. EV has shorter range and can't efficiently go 80-90 mph. However, in the city Electric Vehicle dominates as no stops and can out perform ICE any stop and go. ICE will never get any better city acceleration or not having to stop, but will electric vehicle improve highway? Tesla's have 600 mike range single charge, you just have to go slower. :)

23. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    VERY interesting documentation!

Would be incredible to see such detail continued to the point that the battery needs replacement.

Thanks, Rob!

24. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I have almost 69k miles on my Tesla since March 2013.

At 90% charge I used to show 230 mile (85P) and now I only show 223 miles range after charging.

Not too shabby.

Kai

David_S and rob lay like this.
  25. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    #25 vinuneuro, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Plug-in hybrid electric is the optimal setup for most people. 70% of people in US have a commute less than 15 miles and something like a Volt, 530e or Panamera E-Hybrid has 30-50 miles range. So in vast majority of driving only battery will be used. ICE still there for outlier situations when more range is required.

Cost is coming down but batteries are still pretty expensive and charge slowly; so makes sense to only pay for as much electric range as required for say 85% of the time.