Best Vacation deals vs the Exchange ? | FerrariChat

Best Vacation deals vs the Exchange ?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MS250, Nov 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Wondering what other plans are Canadians using for vacations. Either as a couple or family.

I'm looking at some last minute deals, but these prices seem ridiculous to me. Looking like 15k for a week in Jamaica for a family of 4 all in with airfare and taxes on one that we checked out.

We are not air bnb type , prefer a 5 star all inclusive usually with air , no connecting flights. We do use our points, but some of these prices even with points is proving out to lunch.

Any suggestions or ideas on how other Canadians vacation and what programs you use, and roughly pay ?

Thanks for the tips

2. rnelson

rnelson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2005
    Mayan Riviera is unbeatable value these days. Direct flights, you can get a 5* hotel for $2000-2500/pp all inclusive (flight, food/drink, all tax/fees/transfers included)

Food is US/Canada equivalent, which can't be said for cuba/dominican.

I go to adult only resorts because I detest kids wreaking my rest & relaxation, but there are a million options.

Find the best resorts on tripadvisor.ca then cross reference with your favorite travel site. I like tripcentral.ca for their comparison tools.

Cruising is cheap these days, $1500/pp gets you on a good boat for a week out of Miami/Fort Lauderdale. vacationstogo.com is my favorite site to browse cruises.

3. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Thanks will check those out. We do like Mexico but wanted to try an island this time around. Between Air Canada and west jet vacations, some sticker shock calculations. Even looking up some Sunwing charters. Will try trip central today, thank you for the tip.

4. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Same sticker shock re Caribbean. Hurricane wiped some islands-St Martin, and the other s raised prices. I often go to Grand Cayman-not this year.

5. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Same boat here.
    Didn't plan ahead, everything seems double even for Christmas.
    Enjoy a white Christmas, then go in February for 1/3 the cost?
    Panama used to be good and cheap but is expensive now too.

Fave likes this.
  6. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Vacation and deal are words I rarely use together these days.

Best of luck with your search

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    It's tough to get a veal sandwich for the price of PB&J these days. I use my Avion points for free flights but still...where did you end up going?

MS250 likes this.
  8. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I bought a ball washer with my Avion points

Jay GT4 and MS250 like this.
  9. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    To expensive to go anywhere, so I'm staying home for now.

I.T. Guy likes this.
  10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I saw that in the catalog. Did you get the PL 1500 or the NMN 2000?

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Went with the 1500, I didn't like the carbon finish of the 2000

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If;

1) you take away the snow
    2) add some sunshine
    3) add some girls in bikinis
    4) add some cocktails and restaurants

....and you are on vacation :D

14. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Jamaica is under a do not leave resort grounds advisory by the Jamaican police. When local authorities issue their own travel warnings, a new location is in order!

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    As an ex Canuck, living in the uk I feel your pain. (I pop in here to see what's happening in my old home town of Ottawa). we were looking for a week in the Caribbean next Christmas and the prices for anywhere decent is nuts, (£3-4K each) as is the price for yacht charter which was a posssible cheaper alternative; not!!! We are now planning a safari instead!!!

16. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will never go there in that case

17. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Went for a destination wedding once.
    Scary ****hole.
    Like most of the islands.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
  19. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  20. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    We decided for a Caribbean cruise, after weighing our options.
    Weather-wise it's a tempting year for a getaway. Unfortunately most destinations aren't ready yet, so fewer options, higher prices.

21. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Yup. We've done a couple of those, definitely a better bang for our buck (we find) than the all-inclusives. We usually go on the off-season too, so better prices and since it's mainly elderly passengers on board, we get the fun parts of the ship to ourselves.

Argentina is looking promising for the near future, especially with the soon-to-start direct flight from YYZ to Buenos Aires. Good value to be had there, if you take the time to look.

22. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Just did my first all inclusive since I was a teen with my parents. Went to Cuba, everything at the resort was bland food and drinks. Hit some of he local restaurants and my lord first class all around. 4 can eat and drink like kings for about $80 US.

I prefer travelling, renting cars and air bnbs. This all inclusive thing is for the birds.

Sent from my SM-N950W using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The challenge is - what to do with all those points on your visa card? The all inclusive packages tend to be a tiny bit cheaper than just buying the airlines tickets on points and then doing everything else separate. Ex / The shuttle run from the airport to hotel and back etc .... all these costs add up that are usually buried / included in the all inclusive packages.
    It’s not suppose to be this hard to peice meal a vacation, was never like this before. :(

24. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    It all depends on what you want to do. You want to travel or vacation.

I just got 4 adult tickets Toronto to Dublin return, non stop, using ponts plus $1500 and 2 return tickets for Boston with points only.

I practically run my business on my Visa so the points add up quick with half a mill a year running on it. Not the same for most I know.

Hotels are great for quick weekend get aways, but for travelling I always prefer to rent a car and get Airbnb's. You get to see much more on your time table and meet locals.

For me travelling isn't about getting away from the rat race, it's to see different cultures and try, in a short amount of time, to feel like one of the locals.

I've driven us around about 20 countries, sometimes just getting lost or heading in a general direction towards our destination. The small town, the sights, the places you would never see or local restaurants you would never eat at if you were on a tour is worth the extra hassle.

If I could I'd travel like this the rest of my life.

Sent from my SM-N950W using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MS250 likes this.
  25. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Amex plat is 1.25 the Aeroplan points for every $1 + a lot of perks. 625,000 miles a year is better than 500,000! If you want one and I refer you we both get a ton of bonus points too

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app