Will 3 pedal Cars hold value or is it a 'fad' | FerrariChat

Will 3 pedal Cars hold value or is it a 'fad'

Discussion in '360/430' started by secondsole, Dec 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am looking for a 360, stick shift...they have a $20-$30k premium. Do you guys think this will wear off over time? Or is the premium here to stay? I don't want to over pay for a car. LMK thoughts, thanks!

2. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    I think it will hold a slight premium over F1 since they are produced in smaller numbers....but not the craziness we saw last year.

cavlino and BlacktopRacing like this.
  3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    they're not making any more of them and there were not many of them to begin with so i say yes they will hold value better

LightGuy and MD355 like this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    IMO it's two sided coin with unpredictable variables.

One side: yes they will always have a larger interest since most want what others don't have. A 6sp stick is nostalgic and some enjoy the romance of a stick and feel more "connected"

The other side: Maybe not. As these 360's were made in large numbers (relatively speaking) and are getting older, many buyers may opt for a 430 or California-- leaving the 360 market with a lot of unsold cars. As younger folks get into these older cars, the F1 (paddle shift cars) will be what they "grew up" with. Many will readily accept the paddle shift versus rowing through gears with an antiquated cable operated gated shifter.

Another factor is these are used cars. You cannot order one the way you want it. I think there are times where color, options, and other considerations come into play.

And then there's the outliers like myself. I always had 6 sp. sticks in my 911's. I drove both the F1 and the gated 6sp. 360 and I actually liked the F1 better.
    From the logical side-- at a $20k to $30K premium I can afford to overhaul the F1 if and when the time comes using the savings on the purchase price to do so.

Conclusion: It's a crap shoot. The best advice given to me: "the "right time" to buy is when you find the right car" (for you).

docf, cavlino and Skidkid like this.
  5. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I agree with natman316, however, I think the premium will lessen, especially for 360s. I believe the premium for stuck shift 430s will stay higher since fewer were produced, and it's the last model offered with a stick shift.

Dale

Cinque, 808Forza and G. Pepper like this.
  6. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As a new owner, I faced this very dilemma. I would prefer a manual.

However, for the cost difference on a 430, I could get an F1 430 and almost a new Ford Mustang GT350 with a stick shift.

Now I need to go shopping for my manual.

I love my F1 430!

Steve

7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I grew up with stick shift cars. Other than nostalgia, I don't get the hoopla?

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
  9. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I also grew up with stick shift cars. It's just second nature. However, when I bought my BMW M3 brand new in 2008 with the dual-clutch, it changed everything. Made me wonder why any cars come with a third pedal anymore, other than for cost savings. They're faster, more fuel efficient, and let's you eat a hamburger more easily while driving (and allows the wife to drive, who can't drive a stick). I know the F1 is single clutch, but the 458 comes with the same dual clutch tranny that M3 had.

Formula1r likes this.
  10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Less complex is one of the things I am attracted to, but then I am a fan of things like mechanical watches and air cooled motorcycles.

As for holding more value or deprecating less? I think the stick car will always be higher, but will they more closely align over time? Maybe move down together equally? Who knows? Good, no story cars will always ask a premium either way. One is easier to maintain and can be serviced by a larger group of people, even DIY'ers. Does that matter to a money is no object owner? No!

Some thoughts:
    One thing that I think helps the 360 F1 is that the revered CS is F1 only.
    No more three pedal cars being made helps the gated as does the scarcity of the F430's with a gate.
    I have not seen any reported weight savings between F1 and gated. Maybe the next person to convert one can weigh the crap they took off? Hydraulic high pressure pumps and hoses are heavy and I would think also contribute to a lot of heat. We know the heat to be a burden in our cars. When I consider all this stuff and I look long term I see the gated winning but that could be 20 years from now!

Mikael-F360 and 808Forza like this.
  11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Some people like shifting with paddles, some like a stick. If you prefer paddles, you have all sorts of options out there that have actually good and reliable transmissions. If you want a stick sports car you have less and less options every year.

12. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm 60 and my first three cars were standards. Automatics were for my mom. :) So I bought a 360 stick, and I lucked into one that was basically how I would have ordered it from the factory.

I didn't mind paying the premium. That said, there is the option of converting a 360 F1 to a manual, so if you find the spec you like and it's an F1, you have the option to change it.

A modified car won't command the same premium as a factory stick, though.

Good thoughts here so far, but here's my take. Manuals will always command a premium over F1 in the 360's, and even more so with the F430 because they are so rare.

As the younger generations GROW UP, they will realize that the manual experience is something they should know, and there will be peer pressure about it. "You can't drive a manual?! Men can drive manuals!"

Ultimately though, the resale value of my 360 will be something for the executor of my will to worry about, so the point is moot for me. :)

808Forza and cavlino like this.
  14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When I was looking for mine 7 years ago (time does fly).. I could have bought an F1 or a stick and they were about the same price. Mine was actually priced below the F1's on the market. I just like rowing gears. I like it. I like driving with 3 pedals. Even when I add a cayenne to the mix, I would like a stick but I'll settle for an autobox. Maybe. :)

I don't think that the last few years hysterical pricing will hold. OTOH I also think the word is out. If you want a stick, you will pay over an F1. I can't say by how much, $5k? $10k? Condition will matter as will color. But all things being equal except the 3rd pedal and lever in the middle, manuals will command more money. The ones that sit aren't the examples priced $10k above, its the ones at the 6 figure mark from what I've seen. The rub is 430 F1's are going to push down prices of 360F1's. not enough 430's in stick to push down 360 stick cars significantly IMHO.

As far as the millennials driving stick. You have to ask yourself: Who will buy a Ferrari?

Will it (in general) be "the guy with the beard, flannel shirt and the craft beer in the trunk" driving his parents Prius listening to NPR while barely keeping the car between the lines? (yes I listen to NPR to and from work :) ) -or- will it be the Jalopnik reading young guy hooning around town in his 240sx, or modded Golf? I don't know about you but there are a lot of young men out there under the age of 30 that really like cars. Most of the contingent drives 3 pedals at C+C. THAT guy is the one that will WANT to drive a Ferrari. It's not that contingent that is driving the prius and happy about it. Manual drivers are out there. They just don't have the money or the breaks like their parents did to get out and enjoy it. The person that will buy a Ferrari is already more likely to drive stick than automatic IMHO.

15. lucky34

lucky34 Rookie

Feb 21, 2017
    Tough question indeed and it also depends on how many 3 pedal owners just hold onto their cars, knowing that there won't be others made... I pounced on a 2004 coupe with only 33K kms on it this year that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for, and yeah, paid more than the equivalent F1 car, but not 30K more than the equivalent 2004 F1 market. and no, its not Red but I didn't want that so it all worked in my favour :) I just pretty much lucked into a deal after trolling car sites literally daily. Now thats not to say I have had a trouble free gem but we're getting the maintenance records sorted... :) do I expect the value to go up? - (hoping yes?). but even if I come out even when I look for my next car, I'll be happy as its been banked money like the NSX before it...

16. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Ask yourself what a 20-30 year old sees as a dream car because they will be the future consumers paying the premiums.... and then pray to God they don't drive an Audi R8 V10 manual first. :)

Buy what you want, enjoy it, leave it for dead. Invest in Beach Front Real Estate, not cars.

808Forza likes this.
  17. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Other side of the Coin. Youth certainly is paramount in selecting collector pieces of tomorrow. Question whether youth will select a stick. Myself, I would not have been caught dead in an automatic sports car. Necessity via injury has made stick a less than desirable choice. Must say age plus necessity has made a wonderful choice of a F1. New Ferrari's are only made one way,doubt future will change that. Today drove heavy traffic in my 458, and enjoyed it shifting via paddles in am , but returning traffic was awful & switched to auto for a restful anticlimactic return. As said, it is a crap shoot, but in the end are you buying for someone in the future or for yourself.

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well enough, I could continue but it would just seem like I'm picking on you :D

19. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    I looked at it this way: My first F1 car was a 2000 360 and I enjoyed it but I was not over the top about it. It seemed to me that the system at the time was not really where it needed to be given the other aspects of the cars performance. I ended up selling it back to the friend who owned it before me (we did not know each other until his wife saw me parking it and insisted I talk to her husband - we ended up becoming dear friends) anyway. He wanted to find another 360 and I was tired of everybody in town referring to the car when they saw it as his car. I ended up getting a 2004 3 pedal 360 - it was amazing and by the time i sold it ( needed to lighten the load to inject $$ into business) i had over 65,000 miles on it - The 3 pedal was perfect for that car in my opinion. Further down the road my very lovely wife felt it was time to reenter the Ferrari pool and she found a 2007 430 F1 - I think the technology leap of F1 now matches up with the rest of the 430 and it is a stinger - fast, fun and engaging ( in a different way) but it seems to have come together. I am sure the 3 pedal 430 is a blast too but it does not in my opinion make it better or worse - just different.

Now that all said - my lovely wife spoke again and said we have a problem - you are always driving it when we go somewhere. Maybe we need a second Ferrari? Like I say if mommas happy everyone is happy - so we just found and added a delightfully original 85 308gts QV and guess what - it is a 3 pedal car!

Suspenders or a belt - both work - it just depends on the pants you are wearing at the time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mkzhang, Zanny1, LightGuy and 2 others like this.
  20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I have an '80 308 GTSi and an '00 360 stick. It has been a very educational experience. My first Italian car was a '74 FIAT X1/9, which hooked me on the concept of, "handling."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I was 20 in that photo. 60 now.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not sure it's a fad or just the increased shortage of manuals being made.

The new Corvette Mid engine car will be the first Corvette not available with a manual. It's more and more difficult to get a Mini with a manual.

In the long run, as we get older, the new generation won't appreciate them. Are you going to pay $150,000 for a car for your first Manual experience? Why?

To some degree its like the old joke from Jerry Sienfeld

"Why do Chinese people still use chopsticks? They've seen the FORK!"

22. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Find a car you like and can afford and enjoy it. None of us has a crystal ball. Hagerty says a Category 4 (pretty rough) 2000 360 Coupe has a rough value of about $60,000. Would it pay off over time to spend an extra $30,000 for a stick on that car? Probably not. On the other hand, Hagerty says a Category 1 (concours winner) 2004 360 Spider has a rough value of about $125,000. Will it pay off over time to spend an extra $20,000 for a stick on that car? I would think it probably would. But if I could predict the future with accuracy, I would have made enough on the stock market by now to buy lots of different cars!

So, my simple-minded advice remains: find a car you like and can afford and enjoy it.

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    The older F1 and the newer with DCT are two very different animals. Yes, DCT is great. Especially in sport mode on auto.

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    This is confirmed? :(

25. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Thinking longer term, 10-20 years, its not clear there will be a market for gasoline cars! Just had a millennial couple (step daughter and her boyfriend, 32 years old) spend Christmas with us. Our daughter had a passing interest - she was shown the garage and noted that it was red and had two seats. He had no desire to see it. Neither asked for a ride... Neither had any interest what so ever in seeing it, hearing it, sitting in it, riding in it or any curiosity what so ever.

To them, cars are to get from point A to point B with as little fuss as possible. Anxiously awaiting the self driving, use-on-demand so they don't have to buy one era.

I also work with several people that are demanding their millennials get drivers licenses because they are tired of having to transport them everywhere and they want them to become self sufficient, which they are resisting...

I am not convinced Ferraris will be desired, something achieved, something dreamed about in the future. We may be the end of an era. If you saw the replay episode of Chasing Classic Cars where the NART spyder sold for $25million, I dont know who they sell that too a decade from now. The next Zuckerberg is unlikely to collect cars.

I never thought I would loose money on mine. I am now re-thinking that!!! Like my daily driver, it may be depreciating to $0.