Vacuum Tank Implosion. | FerrariChat

Vacuum Tank Implosion.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Allen S., Dec 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Looking for feedback and advice. Thank you Team Mondial t.
    After my spirited drive today I pulled the rear wheels to wash, check plugs, wires and inspect. First thing I saw was the Vacuum Tank completely imploded. What could cause this? Didn't feel any change in performance today. Unfortunately I think I'm parked until I get another tank and all new fittings? Car has 56,490mi. Picture attached. Happy New Year!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just curious is that a charcoal canister or vacuum accumulator? I found charcoal once in one of my truck’s Rochester carb from the canister but it didn't implode. I think a backfire was responsible for the breaking up of the part that contained the charcoal and the subsequent ingestion of the charcoal bits. I’m probably no help here, but thought maybe some charcoal may have clogged a line and allowed too much vacuum to build.

3. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Vacuum Tank. In the diagram the Charcoal canister is not part of the picture. Thinking debrit clog, union or valve. Ron, thanks for the look. What year is your truck?

4. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It was an 85 Dodge Prospector, long gone. After thinking on it more, there was a choke unloader or other issue and the backfires were l8kely ancillary that what ruined the evap canostor on mine. Backfire didnt seem as plausible for the damage.

Checking the lines and any associated components with a mighty vac hand pump seems a good next step. Best wishes and Happy New Year!

5. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Ron, good point. I'll go with your advice on next step. I'm also considering the 29 year old Tank structurally failed. Old school Tin can. At a buck 40-50 probably like sucking the soft ball through a garden hose effect.

6. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
  7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I have some spare ones (authentic) from a Mondial T and a Mondial QV if interested.

8. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
  9. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
  10. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Interested in your t Tank. Checked the website but didn't see it there.

11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Vacuum tank : is'nt that the tank that holds the vacuum for heating system knobs....in my QV it does.
    Guido

12. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Some of the best brakes I have experienced.

13. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    The diagram for Mondial t shows Air injection device. My Tank has two lines connected opposed to the single line in this image. 2.5 Matronic.
    Recently I was using defrost and heating. New Year festivities are starting to calm down so should be able to get out to the garage later today and continue diagnose.

14. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Randall, agreed on the brakes. Total confidence for days. Braking is always well balanced.

15. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Guido, I now see where the Air Conditioning shares the same Vacuum Tank. Explains the two lines out from my Tank. When operating heat and air there is a lot of moving parts going on within the system.

16. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I wonder if just a deteriorated vacuum line collapsing in on itself would stop flow enough to collapse the tank? May not be plugged from any physical debris other than a collapsed hose itself.

17. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I don't have all parts on my site :) I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

18. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
  19. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    paulchua likes this.
  20. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Ernie has posted a thread most likely in the 348 section showing how to check the solenoids controlling the vacuum in the canister. I have tried to find it to no avail. I will try again.

21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Allen,
    I dont think the vacuum cannister involves engine management. The tank is connected to the plenum to use the underpression of it. This cannister is in use only for the heating/airco buttoms. The other lines that are connected to the vacuum line with a T are for solenoid valves (? what use?). There are 3 valves likes this.
    There must be a special valve that opens when there is to much vacuum. You have to solve this before putting an other tank.

Guido

22. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe

23. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't think that you can really ever have "too much vacuum" as the maximum inside-to-outside pressure difference is 1 bar (and, during hard engine deceleration, it would often approach that). More likely, it just got too rotten/rusty, or had a dent put in it during some service work, that greatly reduced the "crushing" pressure -- it relies on that pure cylindrical shape, with the ribbing, to resist being imploded.

24. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  25. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I have to correct myself after reading this : https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-fuel-injector-intake-plenum-removal.305475/page-2
    Next disconnect the vacuum line from the back of the plenum. This is the vacuum line that runs to the vacuum tank, which hold the negative pressure for the air injection valves, and for the intake compensation valve. It's located to the bottom left of the air box.

Guido