Why is the vintage Ferrari community ok with changing the color of a car? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why is the vintage Ferrari community ok with changing the color of a car?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by sixcarbs, Dec 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Sorry, we all have our personal opinions, and my opinion is that a 330GTC looks better in the light metallic blue.

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Yes, Lowell, I agree.
    Simply a matter of taste. I just didn't care for the metallic blue. It did not, in my opinion, compliment the shape of the GTC body.
    My neighbor had a Chevy station wagon that exact same color.
    Bob Z.

3. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Azzuro California ?

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    MiuraSV is correct.
    The GTC in the photo is not mine - I just needed something for color reference.
    BUT, I do like the covered headlights! I plan on doing a similar conversion on mine.
    Bob Z.

davemqv likes this.
  6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bob, be careful! Talk like that will upset the natives!
    :)

7. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Very interesting discussion. Personally I think keeping the original color reflects on the period the car was from. An example would be some of the brightly colored Porches 911s or Panteras from the early 1970s. I wouldn't buy a car that had a color scheme that didn't excite me. I am ok with a car with a non-standard color if I bought it that way. Case and point I have a 1956 Mercedes 190SL which is now a faded red. Originally the car was black and I wouldn't think of reverting it back to the original color as the Red has been on this car for at least 40 years.
    We all have rules about what is acceptable. Take woman, yes woman and cars are very similar, we can have all these requirements and when the right one walks by, out the window goes all the requirements. If I could afford it, I would take a stock Ferrari from the 50-60s stripped to bare metal with bondo! :)

8. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    davemqv likes this.
  9. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
  10. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
  11. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Original paint and original paint color, whatever that means, are two distinctly different things. Does a waterbase with clearcoat modern paint classify the car as original? Not to me. Everything else in a restored car has been changed anyway. So who are you kidding?

12. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Lorenzo00,

I used "original paint color" specifically to identify the current condition of the car. When I bought the car in 1960 it already had been painted five different colors. When I began the conservation project in 2000 we found several traces of the original paint but with varying exposures to UV light they were all of different shades. Fortunately on the dash panel under the knurled nuts retaining the switches we found the original unadulterated blue. Sikkens matched that color but they make only base coat/clear coat finishes. That look at Pebble Beach on a fifties race car can be spotted by the judges at 30 feet and is an immediate points deduction. Nitrocellulose was not available to us. After several tries, Glasurit matched the original color and they provided a singe stage catalyzed urethane paint. It was shot, no wet sanding nor polishing. With careful inspection the very slight orange peel look very much resembles the way Ferrari race cars appeared in the fifties. Clearly I had no way to use or claim original paint, but the color is exact and the look is right, which was the aim of the conservation project. So on the paint subject I do not claim original paint, however other parts of the car are original. Having owned the car for nearly 58 years there was not much opportunity for others to make changes.

Best regards,

Robert

davemqv, swift53, FF4X4 and 2 others like this.
  13. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
  14. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
  15. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Do you want to laugh ? At the Ferrari 70th celebration in Maranello, have a look to the "Le Superamerica e le speciali" class :

1st in class : 1449 SA, a black with silver roof 410 SA Series 3. How many judges knew that this car was not black originally but exactly the opposite ?:eek:
    2nd in class : 2841SA, a Blu sera 400 Superamerica (grigio fumo originally !o_O)

Other entrants in this class :
    3949SA, a Blu Chiaro Metallizzato 400 Superamerica (rosso cina originally :()
    0246AL, a completely fantasy two tones light metallic green+grey 342 America (black originally !:confused:)

No need to continue and I don't even speak about the colour of the interiors of these poor cars...:cool:

What a joke !

16. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I prefer keeping vintage Ferraris in the original interior/exterior colors. But then there are times that if it was your own car you may not be so emphatic about the original colors. Case in point, a friend owned this car and at that time it was in the traditional Ferrari rosso corsa. He hated that red and wanted to repaint the car. When he did his research he learned the car came from the factory as Chinese red--even worse than racing red. So, he just had it painted in his favorite shade of blue. Would you have repainted it in the original Chinese red? I wouldn't.

https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO11/Monterey/lots/r110-1963-ferrari-250-gt-lusso-berlinetta/192218

john

17. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Why do you refer to them as "poor cars"?