Who's driving a 570? | FerrariChat

Who's driving a 570?

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by BoulderFCar, Dec 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm really becoming smitten with used Mclarens. The 12c and the 570 strike me as good deals in the segment. I like the size and the look.
    Is anyone here driving a 570 5-10K per year? How has the reliability been compared to a 458? Over time are you more or less likely to hop in and take a spin?

I have a fantastic McLaren, Jag, AM dealer near by that works on my F Type which is a huge plus.
    Thanks.

2. markjeansonne

markjeansonne Rookie

Dec 7, 2017
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Mark A. Jeansonne
    My 12C has appr. 23,000 miles. Reliability is not an issue, car is excellent. The carbon fiber tub makes the car solid, feels solid. Many have gotten their stock 12Cs to 210+ mph, GPS certified. I've gone 190 in mine, but that was fast enough! The 12C will have a few minor fault codes now & then: One time did not close my front bonnet completely, threw a code. One time over-filled gas tank, when you do that gas overflows into the charcoal canister, threw a code. But these codes go away by themselves after a few miles, or after locking the car for 20 min. Early models like mine also had issues with taillight condensation, windshield wiper motor issues, and headlight mold. Mine had these issues, but all fixed long time ago under warranty. Some 12Cs have had a gearbox leak. There are different versions of what to do: McLaren will replace the transmission, but will not 'repair' it -- so that cost appr. $35k!!! Some members just plug the leak for $1., and they never have issues after that. Some cars develop water leaks at the hoses, so better to just put new hoses and new clamps (upgraded ones that don't leak), cost appr. $2500. Some people don't like the 'Iris' system, which is navigation, radio, telephone blue tooth, all in center console. Navigation does screw up sometimes, and radio reception not great, but no big deal. Annual maintenance $2000. +. Very happy with mine.

3. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Got my 570 in April, just over 3500 miles, couple track days. No real issues- some dumb crap like rebooting IRIS for radio, which takes about 10 seconds.
    I have driven it about 400 miles in one sitting, as comfortable as my BMW.
    Nose lift is crucial for peace of mind.
    Absolutely love driving it. On track it is ludicrous fast (needs downforce!). Blew by a Porsche turbo S, corvettes, etc., like they were running on 4 cylinders.

4. 1slocrx

1slocrx Karting

Jun 26, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I got my 570GT a few months ago. First day I put 1100 miles on it to bring it home. So far I am super impressed, most likely will never by a Ferrari again (I know I shouldnt say that on this site). The driving dynamics and the feel are light years ahead of most competitors.

LI2782 likes this.
  5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    ^^ ditto

I've put almost 20,000 miles on my 12C in the 18 months I've had it. No problems so far. I've driven the 570S, GT, and Spider and think they're just as good if not better but I prefer the 12C aesthetics. As per usual, get some seat time in each and see if one of them sings for you. Mine still does to the point that the only car I can see myself replacing it with is the 720 Spider.

redcaruser likes this.
  6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Its nice to hear the 12C being reliable. I've heard stories of the $35K trans leak and the $30K steering rack problems that has made me gun shy. I still can't believe you have 0 access to the engine in the 570 and 720.

Access or no, the 570 and 720 are the only new cars that get me excited.

rdefabri and jet like this.
  7. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like McLaren Palm Beach? My next door neighbor is their head mechanic. Just bought a 12C and put 1600 miles on it in the week I've owned it. Amazing car. If you are local in S. FL you are welcome to come take a look.

8. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You guessed right. I'm blown away with their service.
    Thank you for the offer.

9. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I picked up a 570GT a few months ago. The car is fantastic

10. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We have a 570S coupe and we've put about 4,000 miles on it. It has been excellent. It is an absolute pleasure to drive whether you're running errands or driving it around a race track. It is never not fun to drive! I had two 458s, which were both very reliable, and I'd rate the 570S as equal or better in terms of reliability but the 570S is a much faster car. We've ordered the 570S Spider and we'll trade our coupe for it when it arrives in the next 2-3 months just in time for roof-down weather.

11. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Without, I hope diverting the thread too much, how laggy is the turbo, how linear is the throttle -- can you subtly control the attitude of the car with the throttle when cornering on the race track?

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My only gripe with the 570 is that it is laggy. Launch control obviously works great. Mclaren are wizards at launching RWD cars. But you have to keep the revs up. If your below 4K rpm you can feel the lag when you punch it. Good news is that the transmission is lightning quick and the thing revs to 8500.

13. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Jon,
    Can you modulate its angle say on a long bend like a carousel, so that it pivots, alternating between understeer and oversteer or is the throttle response too binary?
    Philip

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sure you can. The steering is magic btw. Best part of the car. And it’s stupid quick if you’re in the rev range. I’d love to have one. I just prefer my 458 slightly. I really believe the 458 may be the best all around car I’ve ever driven.

15. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yes, non-issue. Incredibly predictable, great steering feel.
    Only “complaint” on track is downforce- there is none. Over 160, it is light.

16. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Jo Sta7 and markjeansonne like this.
  17. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Love it in that colour, looks sharp, enjoy it, it is a wonderful machine.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Very nice - love that color too!

Tides likes this.
  19. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks guys

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Green is absolutely gorgeous! Congrats and how about some interior pics? Thx

21. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    love the 570s...hope to be owning and driving one soon..... but I do like the 12c also, just been hearing a lot of expensive owning the 12c compared to a 570S

22. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Do your homework, the 570s is simply a newer car with the advantage of having most issues solved, plus put the 2 side by side the 12-c although relatively new looks dated compared to the 570S imo. I was looking at a 12-c but heard way to many stories on issues so decided to get a 650s until I saw the 570 in person, it just looks better, more aggressive, nicer interior, and that back end is stunning.

JAM1 likes this.
  23. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Plus, you get a warranty with unlimited miles that you can extend.

24. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
  25. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I really like that color, enjoy your beautiful 570!