Would appreciate insight on 812 vs others. | FerrariChat

Would appreciate insight on 812 vs others.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by RomanD, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Hey guys, so the deal is I’ve been really into the 812 recently. I am interested in owning one and am considering placing a deposit down within the next few months. My dealer told me the wait is about 3-4 years. This I don’t mind at all. My problem is I’ve personally never driven a ferrari or a Lamborghini as this would be my first exotic. What im trying to figure out is if I should order the 812 or go for something like an Aventador S Roadster. I live in Toronto so weather is obviously a concern just about rain because I wouldn’t drive any one of these in the snow. I somehow feel scared of the thought of turning at high speeds (over 100KPH) on a highway if it starts raining for say. This is where the AWD of the aventador intrigued me. I can’t test drive the 812 because it’s not allowable. Here are my personal pros and cons I currently see with each car.

Pros -
    Interior (I love it)
    - 7 year service and 4 year warranty
    - Doesn’t attract unnecessary attention
    - Has a front camera (Aventador doesn’t)
    - I get to invest the money for 3+ years that the aventador would lessen

Cons -
    - Severe worry of traction

Aventador S

Pros -
    - AWD
    - Roadster sensation
    - Wait time 6 - 9 months (although I would happily wait the 3+ years if the 812 is better)
    - Sharper design (potential con)

Cons -
    - Manual removal/addition of rooftop (I have a back problem and this seems like a problem if it suddenly rains)
    - $180,000 more
    - Only has 3 year warranty
    - Transmission is clunky (what I’ve heard)
    - Too many of them

I would really appreciate some insight and some knowledge of previous owners or other who could help guide me to a decision, thank you.

2. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There's no point going into any further detail than to say if you have a back problem, dont go near the Aventador. Aside from the ride, I understand the seats are unforgiving and terrible for bad backs. Easy decision, wait the 3 years and spend the time in the Pilates studio.

RomanD, Jordan68 and jumpinjohn like this.
  3. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Wait three years for the 812. Get a Lusso or FF now to enjoy while waiting! I’m driving a 488 GTB for my wait period!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jordan68 likes this.
  4. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Thanks a lot Tim, very true. I couldn’t care less about the doors or the ride and what not. As for the back swimming does just fine haha. You’ve got some beautiful cars, congratulations on your success. How do RWD Ferrari’s usually handle in slippery conditions?

Jordan68 likes this.
  5. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Amazing pick, I wish you the car in good health and enjoyment. For my daily I’m thinking of just getting the new M5 closer to the end of the year, that satisfies my daily needs.

6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interestingly! I too have had a terrible back, sorted with Pilates, but no way would you get me using an Aventador. Everything about it is tuned to get you into surgery, the ride, the gearshift, the seating position, the seat. No point buying a car you are frightened to use for fear of what it might do to your spine.

Jordan68 likes this.
  7. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Yes, I agree. You’re paying half a million to get an experience like that. When I went to the Atelier in the dealership I noticed that even the carbon seats had great support. This is most probably going to be my choice. Its just the lightweight + RWD formula that bothers me a bit. I’ve heard they’ve deeply improved the technology in the traction in the 812 compared to the F12.

8. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Amazing if you can still order 812. Prob all sold out.

9. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    My dealer told me I could place an order within 2 years and they’d still have an allocation. Im probably ordering in the summer/fall.

10. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It really wouldn't bother me. Drive in Wet mode and it's a *****cat, furthermore, as an all round car, the 812 is in a different league to the Aventador, as it should be given it's that much newer.

Incidentally, welcome to the Forum!

11. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Sounds great! I completely agree. Thank you for the insight.

12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    You’re over-thinking it.
    Real Ferrari guys know what they want.
    There’s never confusion.
    Suggest you drive an F-12.
    My guess is that you’ll get your jollies and move on.

13. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    I wouldn’t do that because from what I’ve heard their much different cars. And I personally find it astonishing that someone could invest over 400,000 into a car he/she has never owned or has been in the sphere of without asking around let alone driving the car. How could someone know what they want before feeling or understanding it? Maybe some people just buy things without caring or applying any form of logic.

Mint Ash and LorenzoOO like this.
  14. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    Get the 812 - it is superior in almost every way. The single clutch box was old when the aventador was introduced 7 years ago, it's embarrassing they still have this.

4wd only offers more traction under acceleration - and really only under hard acceleration. Not cornering (assuming you are not accelerating at the same time). Probably worthwhile watching this to understand the actual (usually oversold) benefits. Excuse the presenter, but he knows his stuff

15. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    This guys funny, but I understand now. Thank you for the link. Yeah now that’s its been mentioned it is ridiculous they haven’t updated that in 7 years and it costs just the same as before. Ferrari definitely check mates them in changing stuff up.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I plunked down the cash for my F12 without a test ride. Just watch the videos from professional journalists. There are four or five that seem to get it right - mostly. Never seen such elation over a motor vehicle before or since. Read up here on FChat as well. No need to drive certain cars that own you before you own them. Good luck.

17. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    The videos are a decent pointer but these guys rapidly compare car to car because they drive a few completely different cars a week on ideally good roads. They don’t own any of these. People like JWW who actually own these cars make valid ownership points and preview but always note how something that satisfies them could be different for one another and vise versa. But to your reply, that was directed at Lorenzo because he said other things specifically related to what I said.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Chris Harris said the F12 (which he owns) is the best car to come out of Maranellow bar none. My advice is to do your homework and get familiar with the journalists and the threads on this site.

19. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Will do, ty.

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Perhaps doing a test sit in a similar model such as the F12or GTC Lusso would be enlightening,

I’m sure that your dealer will have one of these in the showroom and wouldn’t mind letting you see how difficult it is for you to get in and out and find out what the seat does to your back.

Also when it comes time to order the 812 Ferrari has a nice selection of seats and electric options. I might suggest the full electric seat because of the lumbar adjustements and warming feature.

carlom001 and jumpinjohn like this.
  21. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Yes, the full electric seat is a must. I’ve actually got to sit in the Lusso and despite some reviews I’ve heard about it being stiff, it was one of the comfiest seats I’ve ever sat in. Great support, easy to get in and out and the position is perfect. I’m actually really impressed to how well Ferrari made the interior of the Lusso as a whole.

22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m gonna agree on the seats. Recommend you sit in both before deciding. The 488 has racing seats and although they are comfortable, next time I’ll get full electric. I like the memory function, heat and additional adjustments. Oddly enough, I also miss the headrest at times. With the racing seats, it is further back to accommodate a helmet. I’ll never track the 812 probably.

Anyway, I just suggest trying before you order.

Regarding logic, there is none involved when purchasing a Ferrari! Welcome to the asylum.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

phanliu likes this.
  23. Data

Data Karting

Dec 11, 2007
    I don't see what the issue is with driving an 812 at 100 km/h in the rain. As long as you have the right tires, use common sense and put it it wet mode, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

If you live in Toronto, rain is the least of your worries. Potholes and bad roads in general are much more concerning IMO.

In any case, I'd personally go with the Ferrari as well. But, ultimately, those are not rational purchases. Just go with what excites you the most.

24. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Suggest you buy an FF and drive it during your two year wait for the 812. Since you’ve never owned a Ferrari you should get acquainted with the brand. I’m surprised a dealer would take an 812 order from someone who hasn’t purchased from them before.

25. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    #25 R J, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Amazing. If you can get an allocation of a globally sold out car, then order the 812! There is no choice here and there are no substitutes!

812 has incredible traction. Other worldly but can still play. Spent two days at Fiorano driving 812s and 488s. 812 was remarkable. It rained a lot and we still safely did 195kph (there was a speed limit given the amount of rain) by the end of the straight and held significant speed in the corners. Normal road tyres. With progressive throttle application it didn't once create any sense that it be unusable in the rain if driven properly.

Span the rears only once with a heavy right foot coming out of penultimate hairpin - span the wheels in 3rd at 5,500 rpm but was deliberately non-progressive to test how edgy it would be. Was so easy to catch - everything so clearly telegraphed it didnt cause any nerve wracking sense of undrivability in heavy rain. There were rivers running across the track - it was proper wet. So I wouldnt worry about Toronto rain. Just buy the 812 and enjoy. And get an FF or GTC4Lusso in the meantime.