e-test question - mechanic help please | FerrariChat

e-test question - mechanic help please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ragtop1, Dec 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    my son's 2002 Honda Civic failed the e-test.
    $715 repair including diagnostics
    one of the items was Evaporator pressure regulator valve

Is this not a part for his air conditioning ? I doubt it would cause emission test failure.
    Am I wrong ?

2. Aspec77

Aspec77 Rookie

Jul 29, 2014
    toronto
    Full Name:
    steve
    over 700$ in repairs for a 15 year car seems like a rip off to me you probally have a evap emission code not an issue with air conditoning sounds like a few hundred dollar repair i can take car of text me at 416-721-5967 steve

3. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Hi Steve, I called the store service manager and the mechanic, asking for an explanation why an A/C code would fail the emission test. I also threatened to expose their diagnosis and costs to social media and the professional media. It turns out later, that the emission test passed without the evaporator regulator replacement. Final cost was $215. Seems it paid off to do the research and make the complaint.
    thank you for the reply. BTW, this was a Canadian Tire garage.

4. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Larry,

It sounds like you were able to resolve it to your satisfaction. The EVAP module is an item that does fail on older cars. It has nothing to do with the AC. What you might be thinking about is the evaporator for the AC which is a different part and will not trigger a Check Emissions Light (CEL).

"The evaporative emission control (EVAP) system captures gasoline fumes and other emissions produced when fuel evaporates within the gas tank or fuel system. The EVAP system then returns these vapors to the combustion process to keep harmful chemicals from reaching the air when the vehicle is not running."

As part of the Emissions self test the EVAP module runs a pump to insure vacuum integrity in the system. Sometimes the pump, control module, valve or cracked hoses cause it to throw a code and turn on the CEL lamp.

5. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Well you certainly explained it better than the garage. Thank you. It does make sense now, and yes when I saw the term evaporator I assumed it was an A/C problem. It seems the car passed without the EVAP module replacement, making my son happy. Now I'm not sure if it was from my complaining or not. :) At this point its water under the bridge.
    Thank you JD and Steve for the responses. Always learning, Cheers

6. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    You guys do realize that the whole e-test thing was dreamed up by a couple of CanTire execs years ago. It is a gold mine for them. Thou recent changes have cut into their profits.

7. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    I didn't know it was CanTire execs who dreamed that one up. I assumed it was another government cash grab.
    My friend owns a custom muffler shop and used to make a fortune when they did the exhaust pipe sniff test. Any leaks or holes in the exhaust would warrant replacement pipes mufflers etc. Now the ECU tells all.

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Me neither

9. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    They certainly "dreamed up" the original poster's CEL issues.

Whether or not they encouraged Ontario to start emissions testing in 1999 is a different issue. The standards that Ontario uses are more strict than the US. Quebec adopted California's emission testing standards in 2009.

My favorite story is that Vancouver started car emissions testing in 1992 and cancelled the program in 2014 based on the success of newer on board car emissions systems. We should follow Vancouver's example and cancel it as well.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Cancelation is not to far away. It's very rare I have a car in that does not pass an etest. They are now also "free" if the car passes. (Even though they upped the sticker price to cover the cost..so it is not free at all..still a tax grab).

11. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does that mean when they cancel the e-test program, that they will lower the sticker price since there is cost to cover? Of course, my question is rhetorical.

12. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That should read "no longer a cost to cover"