great Sheehan Classiche article | Page 9 | FerrariChat

great Sheehan Classiche article

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by rob lay, Aug 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005

Sounds wonderful what you wrote...

But today 75% of everything Ferrari is issued to money rather than passion
    And Ferrari S.p.A. plays the 1st fiddle in that money-tune....

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

They're not a non-profit and they never have been. They are a business, and a well run business at that. Good for them. I'm a very happy client.

3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Marcel - does this firm in fact do Classiche work? What amount of Classiche work is actually done by Ferrari?

wbaeumer likes this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Suggest to ask Classiche as I prefer to stay away from such politics.

Marcel Massini

Modena Motori and Nelsonc275 like this.
  7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Let me be less diplomatic than Marcel.

One anecdote doesn't mean the whole story, but I met a bloke at the dealer's Xmas party who had just ground up restored his 275 with Classiche which lasted 5 years(!). According to him, the car spent all of it's time in away, and was brought back in just before he picked it up. In a admin mix up, one of the third-party shops had sent him an invoice last year in error, but when he got the final invoice from Classiche, the mark-up was over 250% on a 11k piece of work. It sounded like his resto ran into several hundred k, so you can do the math on profits. Classiche didn't even manage the project at a high level to justify the mark-up. He did all the running around himself.

Sounds like they are just sitting in the middle collecting rent for nothing more than the Classiche stamp. They seem to be doing very little other than some minor assembly work during the restos.

I told the guy that he was an idiot for getting knowingly bent over - he didn't disagree.

Marty D, wbaeumer and bernardo66 like this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Pretty remarkable. One thing I don't get, however - when I was at the factory in April, I toured Classiche. There was some pretty amazing cars there (a 250TR and a 250LM to mention two), and they were both in the midst of deep restoration work (at Classiche). It wasn't all smoke and mirrors? They must be doing something there. I saw it with my own eyes.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

As a TR guy and as echoed in the TR section most of us dont even really agree with the concept to begin with.
    The TR sounds much better with a non standard exhaust; is more reliable with an upgraded differential and yet this will fail u the classiche.
    On top of that u can get classiche today and then tomorrow change ur rims and the classification still holds true. I just don’t see the value:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Totally agree.
    For a 250TR it might be useful, but for our regular production cars, there's less than zero sense in bothering with Classiche.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    but that's the rub - in many cases, they DON'T have the records; their files are famously incomplete and erratic, especially on the older cars, and 'crossover' cars where parts from the superseded model often made their way into the 'new' version.

Marty D likes this.
  12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    And for the modern cars, it is even less effective - you even have to submit your own photos - followed by a cursory inspection. A mate's 355 came back with a classiche even with an aftermarket pedal box.....