348 Cam Chain Tensioner Pad | FerrariChat

348 Cam Chain Tensioner Pad

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulWM, Mar 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulWM

PaulWM Rookie

Feb 7, 2016
    #1 PaulWM, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have recently acquired a 348 and have been performing major service on it. Attached find a picture of the Cam Chain Tensioner Pad showing the wear. The grooves where the sidebars run are approx .070 deep and where the rollers run about .040 deep. Total thickness at the high point of the pad was initially .300, so this leaves me about .23 at the grooves and .26 under the rollers.

I have no idea if it has ever been replaced, but there are approx 70K miles on the car.

I would expect the initial grooves at the sidebars to form quickly and the wear rate to slow down once the rollers come into contact. Can anyone guess from the wear if it has been replaced or how many miles might be on it? Also, how much wear can be tolerated before this relatively expensive part requires replacement?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I cant say but I don't think its worth the chance. Id just bite the bullet and put on a new one while its out. Also I think there was a recent thread where someone was replacing one.

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    #3 ///Mike, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That looks pretty darned good if it really has 70k miles on it. No way that I know of to tell for certain, but if you happen to have an early car before the factory drive bearing update one clue would be whether or not that bearing has been changed in your car. If it has been updated there's a chance that the tensioner was replaced at the same time. If the bearing has not been updated then perhaps no one has even been that deep into the engine. I'd be curious either way, as I'm trying to get a sense of how long those tensioners and either version of the bearings last.

Another clue is the color of the material itself. Assuming it started out off-white one can safely assume that it's been in the engine for some time to have acquired the darker hue.

In any case, I think it's false economy to be that deep into the engine and not replace the tensioner, as well as the infamous bearing. As you probably know, Hill Engineering recently released an upgraded bearing and I think I've read here that Dave Helms offers a better tensioner, or at least an upgraded pad.

As an aside, while I've never seen it posted here, there is apparently some concern that the pad base can separate from the plunger, as I was once asked by a customer to strengthen that joint by adding some tack welds (see attached, which I'm guessing is from the tensioner under discussion). Seems like a worthwhile safety measure "while yer in there".

4. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    What year for your 348 and engine assy#, chassis #? Believe the updated material is from engine/chassis assy 24720 / 4384

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #5 ernie, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    That timing chain wear pad is done, replace it. The updated pad material you want is made from Stanyl PA46 TW341. The company that manufactures Stanyl is DSM, from the Netherlands.

F1Flaherty likes this.
  6. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  7. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Can anybody send me ( to Belgium) a worn , bad piece from each of the 2 pads for taking measurements. I know maybe a shop who can fabricate them out of TW371.

Grts
    Patrick

8. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Of course i will pay for shipping.

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I think I still have my old stuff. I will have a look for it and let you know if I can locate it.

10. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thx

11. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hi Ernie, did already had time to look for the pads ?

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  13. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I know . Now just try to buy it. :-(

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Sorry Patrick, I was really busy over Christmas weekend. I’ll have a look and let you know by tomorrow.

15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yeah but the other info I have is even better stuff. I thought I gave it to you??? It’s still made by DSM, but is their newest material.

16. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yeah It is called TW 371. The only problem is i can't buy either of them. DSM only selling the granulate , not solid form. I found an distributor here in Belgium called ; Quadrant. They have also high tec plastics in rod or plate form. But they are still closed for the hollidays. I will ask them if they can deliver this material or equal.
    I am planning an engine out major service beginning next year , when i have my lift, so i am starting looking for al the parts needed.As my 348 has 60.000 km i think the pads will be worn.

17. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Granulate is no problem. We'll make it work. thanks for clarifying Ernie

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    No, that is not the stuff I'm talking about. DSM make a whole bunch of different plastics for different applications.

19. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You go it John.

20. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    What "stuff" do you mean Ernie ??

21. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I looked for the worn pads the other day and didn't find them.

22. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    That's a shame. Ordered in the meanwhile this one on eBay to compare. From Land Rover. 12 euro
    I have read in an old topic from you Ernie that this is not a Ferrari part but made by a company in France or something.

23. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Also from eBay, a piece of Pa4.6. It looks identical material to Stanyl and that what Dave Helms had used for his first test.He found an even better material but this can work also very good i think. Color i correcter in real life. More Brown.

24. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Sorry a little late to the game. I have my worn pad if you still need one. just let me know.

25. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yes That would be great.
    How to ship ? Can you put it in an envelop by post ? I will pay of course the cost.