GTC knockoff... | FerrariChat

GTC knockoff...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tritone, Jan 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  2. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
  3. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #3 straightpipe, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    He passed away several years ago. I have both the hex and ear type. Why do you ask. They were $300+
    TW

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The socket was made by a fellow that worked in an Ohio foundry and he's no longer with us. It works great. The lead hammer you should be able to buy from tool suppliers.

john

5. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I sent my knockoff out for the mold. The unit he made was damaged at a later date when I lent it out. The son was able to pull the drawing and make a replacement, so they could still be available if needed. I had to trim the rubber back a bit.

6. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    You could make your own. If you have a truck/heavy equipment parts supplier a 4" socket are common items in stock. Cheap...maybe $30. They usually are 3/4" drive. I made this one, ordered a band of copper from McMaster Carr, and used a cutoff wheel or a sawzall for the cuts. I added the rubber for a little extra protection. Works fine in the 10 yrs I've used it. I believe Tom Yangs site will also give more details.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

365GTC/4 and peterp like this.
  7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Really nice work with the copper bands.

I think the socket below is an example of one that can be used to make the tool. I bought one many years ago but never got around to cutting it. I'm going to put it back on my "to do" list after seeing yours:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-1914-6-Point-Hexagon-Locknut/dp/B000LQEV2G/ref=sr_1_21?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1515768082&sr=1-21&keywords=4+inch+socket+3/4"+drive

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks to all for your responses. This one is available, make me an offer. (the mallet too!):p

9. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Cory, do you find the copper bands to be adequate cushion so as to not leave any marks on the spinners? With the bronze version I have, I put a triple folded rag against the spinner and this still is not enough of a cushion.

john

10. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    No marks at all......

11. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    I would add that I use a 36"-3/4" breaker bar with it while the wheels are on the ground.
    Cory

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    What is the thickness of the copper ribbon?

john

13. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    John
    Sorry for the late response.... .070"

14. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks Cory. So in that picture you posted, the copper is well used then?

john

15. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Nice design. I would add a very short 3/4" drive extension welded into the 3/4" drive hole in the tool for two reasons:

1. I does not look like the drive hole is very deep, could become worn and sloppy with use it is is not a sloppy connection already.
    With a poor connections, the breaker bar/torsion wrench might come loose and ding the wheel.

2. The short extension brings the breaker bar/torsion wrench away from the wheel so the breaker bar/torsion wrench does not rub
    on the wheel or car body but rather makes a nice 90 deg angle with the attachments proud of the wheel or car.

16. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    If you mean "well used" as in it serves a useful purpose in protecting the spinner....then yes. If you mean that the copper looks worn from use I would say not really as its fairly rugged and I don't any need in replacement any time soon.
    Cory

17. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011

18. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Cory, I was just trying to gauge how much battle that ribbon has seen, given the shape it's in.

john

19. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Corey,
    I made one similar to yours except I used some pieces of copper tubing split and then wrapped around the ends to protect the knock off. As mentioned, it does a good job of protecting the knockoff from being marred. However, the JB Weld I used to cement the copper pieces to the openings doesn't last long so they keep falling off. I like your design with the wrapped strapping. Your picture shows a bolt and washer holding the strap in place but it doesn't appear to go all the way through. Can you elaborate how this is held in place?
    Thx, Tom

20. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    Tom
    Sure can...I drilled thru the socket and used a countersunk screw head. I then drilled a hole at each end of the copper "ribbon", inserted the countersunk screw in thru the socket wall, placed one end of the copper ribbon (with the hole) onto the protruding screw, wrapped the copper ribbon around the socket flange (massaging it with a hammer and a little heat) to conform to the flange and once the wrap was complete attached the other ribbon end onto the screw. Finished it with a lock washer/nut and onto the next flange/socket wall.
    Regards
    Cory

Supernaut and peterp like this.