91-92 Diablo vs 94 TR | FerrariChat

91-92 Diablo vs 94 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TODDZTR, Jan 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Hello everyone,

It's time! Finally going to pull the trigger! I'm looking presently at a 94 TR with 50K Kms and a 91 Diablo with 29K kms. I am awaiting all the info on the cars. I've been on this site for quite some time so I am decently versed on the TR's, but as time has gone on I'm leaning towards the Diablo for the simple fact of the simpler maintenance involved and by the sounds of speaking with some Diablo owners, they are quite bullet proof compared to the TR's (rear end dilemmas, belt changes).

I know as the TR's progressed in years, the carrier issues were looked at by the factory, but there still seems to be a lot of chatter there, and then there's the belt changes vs chains. I'm not worried about doing the necessary maintenance on either cars, but I like others have had the TR posters on the wall when younger and have always dreamed of the TR in my garage, but as time went on I'm leaning towards the Diablo!

Can any Diablo owners past and present please share their experiences?

Thanks in advance,
    Todd

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Early Diablos have marginal brakes. Personally not a fan of the high console dashes.

TRs drive better but have heavier steering (even compared to early no power steering Diablos)

Diablos have awful blind spots.

FWIW, don’t take as negative...I adore my devil.

TODDZTR likes this.
  3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i was offered briatore's diablo. took it for a drive.
    terrible, awful, pos. passed.
    sorry.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    What condition is it in? WOW

Sent from my BBA100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i dont know what it looks like today. this was in 1999. it was already a pos back then !!!!

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Just to chime in ... I had a electrical powersteering fitted in my 512TR ... steering like a new Gof ... best enhancement ever for me ...

My wife did not like the 512TR for steering at first .. after the fitting she would take the F often :(

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not exactly what you are looking for but i have a 94 512tr and a 98 diablo sv. the diablo sv hands down blows away the 512tr in every category including drivability. i love love driving the diablo and of all the cars i own the 512tr is the one i drive the least. the clutch is heavy, the steering is heavy and even though im not tall if feels very cramped. maybe at 130 mph its a different story but under 80 MPH its pretty annoying to drive. the diablo is happy at 30 mph.

MOSS, Shark01 and Melvok like this.
  8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I have never driven a Diablo. But I believe my TR is very easy to drive. I don't understand comments about heavy clutch and steering. Maybe because I have been driving for 50 years, and cars years ago had very little power assist!

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #9 godabitibi, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    I'm use to a 96 VT but can give you my feelings. I love the testarossa but mine was a 91 from Toronto btw. Two very different cars. If you are going to use it only for occasionnal drives and get a good feeling to own a exotic go with the Diablo. The TR bring attention every time and personally I think it is easy to drive. I found the Diablo a little more intimidating and like someone else said the rear view is really not great. The scissor door are cool to see but not that fun to use, you have to get use to it and in my opinion not for a driver type of car.
    Both car out together and the testarossa is almost non existant, the Diablo IS THE STAR anywhere you stop.

Personnally if I was to buy a car to drive only seldomly to enjoy my exotic I'd go with the Diablo.

Shark01 likes this.
  10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I forgot to comment about maintnance, yes the Diablo does not need belts like the Tr but when time comes for a clutch the Diablo will cost you a few belts. The clutch on the Tr is an easy job and cheaper to buy. Also parts for the Tr are bit more common and cheaper from my little experience. Ferrari parts retailer are much more common than Lambo.

11. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Thanks for the information on the cars. I wonder if anyone here has installed those Kevlar clutches? They are supposed to last quite a lot longer than normal clutches?

12. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have owned 3 different TRs over the years, never owned a Diablo - but drooled over many....love 'em. I find the Testarossa a very easy car to drive with excellent visibility, it's a very well thought out machine and DYI maintenance is not too bad. The Diablo is definately a "special occasion" car and it would always be an "event" to drive. The early Diablos are quite powerful even by today's standards and have about 100hp more than the Testarossa. I think the only thing about an early Diablo that scares me is the ECU, as I understand it there are no spares anywhere, where as the TR uses a Bosch ECU. I think if I could only have one car or the other....I'd go for the "dark side" and get an early 2 wheel drive Diablo.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont know. to me my 355 is a very easy driver, just to stay in similar time periods. the 512tr is a chore, a big one.

14. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Thanks for the insight! I haven't heard that about the ecu's, but with quite a few ecu makers for drag racing that can control everything on a motor, I'd be ok with replacing them if need be. I would think an custom harness might be in order if that happened, or at least an adapter of sort sort. Plus, the newer ecu's would result in more power!!

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Sure, I have owned a 1999 Diablo Roadster for almost 4 years. LOL on anyone that says they are bulletproof. My car sits at 12k miles so certainly was not a dog, and received the maintenance records from the first owner. To date, I'm at around $25,000 in maintenance. Early last year, I needed to have my first engine out service $12,000 because the head gasket gave way due to age. Did some other "while you're in there" stuff too.

But I'm happy to do the maintenance because these cars are so damn special, and I love it to death. And look at it this way...the $7,000 a year I'm spending to keep it up is FAR less than a new Huracan depreciates. The driving and ownership experience has been SO positive that I'm working feverishly to get another exotic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gialllo uno, jcm12, rumen1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Bordering on criminally underbraked.....lots of improvement for the later cars

Agree on the high console......have not had any issues with the visibility,its OK.

17. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Absolutely gorgeous car! Was the work on the car done by yourself or shop? Do you have a Kevlar clutch? If so, your thoughts on it? Cheers

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Had to have been the car itself, Diablos as a whole are wonderful to drive.

TODDZTR likes this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Very true.....if you're an introvert, this isn't the car for you. Driving it is an event every single time.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Its really true, the gearing that made it the first production car to exceed 200 mph also ma
    Because those kevlar clutches are so hit and miss as far as good feel, and the Diablo is strictly a weekender, I wouldn't bother

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This hasn't been the case. They are available as NOS parts, there is at least one 3rd party reproducing them, AND the Diablo is one of the models that is being supported by the new corporate Polo Storico (Ithink thats the right name) restoration program.

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Independent shop here in Houston.

23. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Very good information for all!

24. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Perfect! All excellent bargaining points. Hopefully will have the information on the two cars this week

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Wow now for a purist that is blasphemy to put that in;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk