How Many F1 races will you try to attend in 2018? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Many F1 races will you try to attend in 2018?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Robb, Jan 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Poor, poor, pitiful me ;)

sherpa23 likes this.
  2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Zero.
    I actually enjoy it more on TV.

maulaf likes this.
  3. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    David,
    Have you ever been to an F1 race?
    The action in person is about twice as fast as it looks on TV
    I agree, watching on TV you can pick up on a lot of info you don't have the benefit of knowing when you are at the actual race. I tape the Montreal race and when I get home on Monday I rewatch it and pick up on a lot
    If you have been to a race then I understand your preference to watching on TV

4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep. I've been to all the USGPs at COTA since I live here, but none of those come close to the 2 times I've seen F1 in Montreal.

5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey neighbor! (My family and I were in that grandstand with you)

That GS is a fantastic deal. I paid less to put my family there than it would have cost to get general admission tickets for all of us to sit/stand in the mud at COTA.

nietoale1 likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Barcelona I think.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In all fairness I do think COTA itself is doing a much better job than the Canadians running the Montreal GP. There is more to do at the track and you can walk around the entire track whereas on the Ile de Notre Dame you have either a ticket for the Northern or the Southern part. They won't let you go to the area of the Senna S with only a hairpin ticket, which to me is absurd.

However the city of Montreal really embraces the race and the whole weekend is a party. Well, in Austin it is a party too but not for F1 but some college football game. Talk about navel gazing.

Indianapolis in its last F1 race had more F1 atmosphere than Austin. That's how poorly Austin treats its race.

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    At least one. Montreal for sure and maybe one more. Hopefully Mexico.

9. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #34 hairy_scotsman, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    I've never had any trouble accessing the whole track at CGV with a single ticket, and I can't imagine any other way that COTA runs their race better than CGV does. 2017 was the first year COTA thought it might be a good idea to open up the Historics Paddock and the infield area out beyond that. Previously, only the people paying big bucks for the high-end RV spots could see the cars up close at top speed along there. It's pretty impressive. Montreal, otoh, has always had the Historic Paddock wide open to all.

The USGP is as good as it gets out at COTA. It seems like USGP week is the only time they even really care at all what the facility looks like. The place tends to be pretty run down and very understaffed the rest of the year.

But yeah, it's pretty amazing the way Austin embraces other big events so well, but then F1 is barely even a blip on the radar for locals. Part of the problem there is the way that COTA oversold it to the city in the beginning, saying it would be bigger than SXSW & ACL Fest, when in reality the local impact is hardly better than a single Texas home football game. Montreal puts on an amazing F1 party throughout downtown and at the track.

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Really wanna get down to Mexico City for the race and Dia de Muertos.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If you have a ticket for the hairpin, they won't let you past the midway point of the island to go to e.g. the Senna S area. If you have a ticket for the Southern half OTOH you get access to the entire island because the metro stop is at the Northern end.

The paddock for the support races in Montreal used to be GA but not anymore. Now you need VIP access (as in F1 paddock area) to go there.

12. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    Doing Montreal (for the first time) and probably Monza (for the second) this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05011994 likes this.
  13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That makes sense for what we did this year. We had Family Tribune tickets and on both Saturday and Sunday we were allowed to freely walk the entire length of the circuit. In 2010 I had hairpin tickets and did the same then. I guess it's changed since then. What's the benefit of keeping north-end ticket holders on the north end?

In both years I was able to walk freely in and out of the Historics Paddock. It was well known that anyone could go in and out, and others commented about how great it was that the Montreal Historics Paddock is always open. Nobody checked for any kind of credentials on Saturday or Sunday (dunno about Friday, but I doubt Friday would be stricter). We had plain old Family Tribune tickets. Nothing special at all, but nobody was checking anyway.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They are trying to keep the amount of people to a minimum. It gets really crowded on the pathways through the park if everybody would walk to the Southern end. That said I think they are using an overly heavy handed approach. It is rather the exception that people without tickets for the Southern part want to go there.

I know it used to be open. I went there many times hanging out with the Challenge Series guys, but no more. Now it is restricted.

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #40 hairy_scotsman, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    It was wide open throughout this last Canadian GP (2017). My son and I walked it all twice. Nobody was checking any credentials.

16. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    I'll probably do Montreal. I went to a few INDYCAR races last year - not so glamarous but almost just as fun since the support races were awesome.

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Most likely Singapore and Suzuka, again.My nearest races.

I would love to do Spa + Monza back to back if can organize a trip back home to Europe.:)

18. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I plan to attend at least France, Austria, Germany, and Italy.

19. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Shanghai, Suzuka, Monza.

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  21. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    COTA at minimum, I'd like to go to Mexico or Montreal as well, but there might be some scheduling conflicts with my own racing so we'll see. I'd really like to get to Monza and Monaco too at some point.

22. Jam

Jam Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    Aus-Asia
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Yeah, I'm zero. Grid girls and the four cylinder turbo have killed it for me.

Did I mention Lewis?

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    4 cylinder?

24. Jam

Jam Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    Aus-Asia
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Sorry, 6.

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That's OK, they sound like a 4 running on 3;)