Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by IPO1, Jan 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which one would you prefer to buy today? Can only chose one.

1. Ferrari 488 (any flavor)

2. McLaren 720s

3. Lambo Performante

4. Porsche GT2RS

5. Are you crazy, none of these!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    RS - pretty much what you would expect from a track oriented car. You just want to ring it out and downshift, just pure race car like growl.
    Performante - best sounding of all the options IMO. Almost worth buying just for the sound alone. :)
    488 - I dont no why so many people spoke negatively about the sound when it came out, I think it sounds great especially for a turbo.
    720 - I like the sound but it is kind of muted at low speeds and when you spin it up you get a nice sound but not as aggressive as the others + I personally like hearing the turbos spool. It could definitely use some pop but I am not sure you can get there with an aftermarket. It will never sound as good as a Performante.

Today I went by my dealer who also happens to be a Lambo dealer and they have had a Performante sitting for a few weeks. They are working on numbers for me to trade my FF. Long shot but interested to see what they do to make it happen. My wife may kill me though but I cant control the madness...

of2worlds, Shadowfax, uhn2000 and 3 others like this.
  2. Ivinsea

Ivinsea Karting

Sep 7, 2016
    Southern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ivin Seabrook
    Now you're talking!

I am working on a 40 x 72 garage, double high on the ground floor for stackers and 10' high on the 2nd floor for my man cave....my builder started the perk test for the septic on Tuesday and within 1/2 hour his cell phone rang from some ********* fussing about the bald eagle nest at the adjacent property...

I think bald eagles and prancing horses will get along just fine!

Afonsolaw and italiafan like this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Totally agree. I recall thinking for certain that I would be very disappointed with the 488 sound when I finally heard one. When I did, both starting up and driving it, I was shocked by how great it sounds. I’m guilty of letting all the silliness on here sway my assumptions before hearing it myself. It’s throaty, guttural and has a great growl.

dustman likes this.
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Wish I could do that size!
    We had an Osprey build a nest on our chimney...damn near took an Act of Congress to remove that thing.
    Turns out it owned our house more than we did.
    :)

of2worlds likes this.
  5. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    And I just ordered a Novitec valveless exhaust from all the fuss about the sound being weak on the 488. I hope I didnt waste $6500 bucks. Although I will say the Novitec exhaust sound clips do sound phenomenal! I will share thoughts once installed....

anishka and IPO1 like this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Well said. We may disagree on the choice but the beauty of this hobby’s lifestyle is that we’re fortunate enough to partake in it and we have the right to choose which we love.

Zinger likes this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This is why you never tell anyone and just quietly take care of business. :)

IPO1 likes this.
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I wish.
    People stopped on the road and took pictures.
    When we petitioned to remove the abandoned nest...they sent helicopters twice to video our house.
    The best part was they only gave permission to remove the nest from out PO Box...yep...our PO Box. The second best part was landscapers all disappeared when the helicopter showed up. Lol. :)

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Who could have predicted that a thread on which super car to buy would evolve into a discussion of bald eagles and osprey. F chat is like a box of chocolates.

of2worlds, tomc and dustman like this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It is exactly for the reasons stated above, that after owning multiple Porsches, I have lost interest. Familiarity is valued by many. Like a childhood friend who you may no longer have much in common with or find stimulating to talk to, but remain close because of the history and fond memories shared. For me, the Porsches are variations of the same theme and no longer provide the excitement I require in a super car. Exotics should provide the excitement and exhiliaration of a weekend romance not the peace and contentment of a long term relationship.

95spiderman, Zinger and dustman like this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think you are taking my post out of context, my point is that these cars just work so well that you can drive them without any learning curve and trust the feedback. You can put either car on the track and ring them out without needing 20 laps to get used to them. Predictable, responsive, reliable and consistent. My post has nothing to do with childhoods.

If you want excitement you need to be on a track. Driving around the roads in your city in an exotic is not too exciting at least not for me. You get attention but limited driving excitement unless you are pushing it. You may feel good about yourself but it doesn't compare to pushing it on a course.

It is worth saying that I had extensive track time in a standard Huracan and I really enjoyed in much the same way I enjoyed the Porsche's. Very easy to drive fast, I imagine the Performante would be similar but with a tweaked suspension, better aero and improved sound. I cant say it was more exciting to drive than the Porsche's at least not for me.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The Huracan and Performante are not at all similar. They drive like totally different cars. You should experience it.

13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #63 IPO1, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Like totally :)

As to GH123214 dismissing this poll as being 'slanted'...considering only 34% chose a Ferrari in Ferrari forum, I think you can admit you are wrong now.

F-Chat is the perfect place for this unbiased poll. People here are car fans and owners across all brands.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #64 Shadowfax, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Desirably, for me it would be a garage with a 488/gto (whatever) a 2RS...and a Porsche suv. In that order.

Huracan sounds good except for the crazy overuse of digital backfiring and just looks plain terrible from the rear imo, 720 will undoubtedly drop like a bomb, looks too alien....unknown quantity in the quality and reliability dept. Not a car to own outside of warranty. Ferrari is simply drop dead gorgeous and sounds great,Porsche is functional hard core bulletproof engineering at its best.... these two get my vote.

IPO1 and stavura like this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    While I respect the SP, I agree with these observations.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #66 Shadowfax, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    If you've ever followed one it's hard not to make one wonder what were they (lambo designers) thinking. Thankfully my own stints having to look at the back of one were short lived....i made it that way. The sound - sooo annoying borderline pathetic/embarrassing to the outside world. I'm sure it's a different story for the (LHP) driver thankfully. And the wing only makes it all worse....it all looks so droopy and try hard. On a positive note it does look good from the front and front side on...if that helps. But from the rear is a disaster.

17. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I didn't vote... I thought this poll was to draw out people who want to buy a gt2rs so that it could give chances to a broker to offer their allocation to the respondents at a significant mark up.

That's what happens on instagram ; "tag a owner"... type posts.

btw; my observation from fchat versus other forums. These forums have more discussions from non owners of the cars under discussion then any other specific car forums. The results would probably be surprising (or maybe not) If the poll also asked which car a person actually owns, which one they are going to buy in next 12 months or so and then compare it to the number of people who are responding and the views of the thread.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    In other words, weed out the trolls. My words not yours. :)

exoticcardreamer likes this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    [QUOTE="Gh21631,

If you want excitement you need to be on a track. Driving around the roads in your city in an exotic is not too exciting at least not for me. You get attention but limited driving excitement unless you are pushing it. You may feel good about yourself but it doesn't compare to pushing it on a course.

I do not agree at all. This argument that unless you drive a car on a track, it cannot be exciting reveals a great deal about the driver and the car. Every car I have owned has seen many track days and the experience will undoubtedly push the limits of the driver and the car. However, driving a super car on isolated twisty country roads, highways and even on city streets will clearly differentiate the driving dynamics and road characteristics of individual automobiles. When I drove the 720S out of the parking lot after driving the 570S, it was already clearly apparent that the 720S was a highly different animal. It become more obvious the longer it was driven and continued to reveal its personality the more miles we travelled. Divergent road venues further clearly excacerbated the unique qualities of the car. The same applied to the Performante compared to the Huracan, the 488 compared to the F430 and the 458. There is no denying that driving a super car on a track will elevate the entire driving experience and test the ultimate prowess of the car and abilities of the driver, but that is not the exclusive domain of excitement and thrills to be derived from driving these cars. An engaging and exhilirating car will reveal its qualities wherever it is driven.

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    imo, if only going to street drive these cars then make the decision based on style, availability, value, etc but not on how well it drives. every one of these will be incredible on the street with huge reserves of untapped potential. can only differentiate them on track.
    maybe back in day, could say a 430 was better than Gallardo on street but now cars are so good it needs a track to distinguish.

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    100% correct imo.

I started tracking about 2.5 years ago and got hooked since then (probably 60 track days since then).

At the beginning of my exotic car ownership; I was quite excited to drive the cars on normal roads...even drove 120 miles round trip to drive 15 miles of twisty roads. After a while it became boring to drive these cars on normal roads. Twisties became boring too (40 mph and having slow moving cars in front of you or having to contend with bicycles).

Once I started tracking them then the appreciation of these cars went way, way up. I'd come away from every track day just marveling at these cars and great appreciation for the engineers, teams that built these cars. Things started becoming very clear of how to differentiate between the cars. It was also good to hear pro's who are coaches and have driven all these types of cars (from their students) and to hear their feedback from cars that I haven't driven.

Now; normal city driving, twisties is quite boring and doesn't do much for me. 99.9% of driving is normal city type driving. I have about 1/4 mile out of my neighborhood to step on it a bit and the rest of the time...driven just like a normal car.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Just running out to supermarket in my 458 spider is fun...I even did the classic, "Honey, running out to get some bread for dinner" on satruday night. :)

dustman, Coincid and exoticcardreamer like this.
  23. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Used to be fun for me... After a while, the attention, speed bumps, coming into/out of steep driveways just didn't become appealing to me anymore.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I certainly enjoy driving my cars as often as possible but I cant say that it is "exciting" to drive to dinner. In the 720 you barely get out of 2nd gear unless you short shift - the same for all the others in question. Exciting is entering a turn, hard breaking and foot to the floor out. A little sideways and on you go to the next turn as fast as you can.

25. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    It gets worse. Drive a purpose built, lightweight, high downforce race car and suddenly any street supercar on a track will feel slow and unresponsive by comparison. As well, if you ever decide to race, you'll later find that basic DE days are boring after 1-2 sessions. At least, this has been my experience.