488 GTO ? | Page 76 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Are you saying that they're all sold anyway so doesn't really matter what they look or go like? I can kind of believe this, especially if the dealers talk it up, but certainly the buyer will want to know he has a desirable commodity, besides being the latest and greatest, in the interest of maintaining its investment value.

So if this is a limited production that impress the regular 488 will continue to be produced alongside it, yes?

2. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
  3. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    So, all allocations will be completed "in a VERY short period of time" - so essentially if one is eligible one needs to commit i.e. no pondering. So you could say pretty much "sold out". I think its going to be priced "high" so this may keep flippers at bay. Really not sure on std 488's production but my dealer has said they will continue on for a while

4. nkhalid

nkhalid Karting

Mar 5, 2015
    I find all this a bit hard to believe .. but let’s see what happens.. my SA told me I’d be in good stead already owning a 488.. I’d be very disappointed if I couldn’t get my hands on a track variant when I told my dealer I needed something faster.. I’m particularly philosophical about all this.. it is just another car.. a car I want but still a car nonetheless.. as for investment value that’s a bonus for me but I’d happily give any appreciation up to get my hands on one.. if I can’t then .. Porsche / Lamborghini here I come ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I have been told by two separate dealers on two separate continents that 488 ownership is a "must". I was explained this at least 6 months ago and the story has not changed

Shadowfax and nkhalid like this.
  6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    No doubt this car will be insane whatever its name or specs. BUT....I cannot see how its worth $400k when performante can be had for $300k. And lambo is last of the breed na motor. Plus I imagine 750lt or whatever will up the ante for those who want turbos when that comes out. Unfortunately, 488vs will just become another collector piece sitting in garage.

nkhalid likes this.
  7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I can assure you if i get one it will definitely not sit in a garage and will be driven in anger :)

Albert-LP, F2003-GA, Robert P and 2 others like this.
  8. nkhalid

nkhalid Karting

Mar 5, 2015
    I waited nearly 2 years for my 488.. I love the car and Ferrari.. however in that time one of my dear friends who I promised I’d take out in it (she wasn’t really into cars) had breast cancer and died.. she died a month before I picked my car up.. life is short and so very fragile.. the thought of another 2 year wait is not a pleasant one.. and I’m a patient person believe it or not..I know the whole limited numbers and demand vs supply argument.. I’m just saying that life is too short to be waiting +++ for things .. and compared to your average Ferrari owner I’m young so I should be the last person speaking like this..

I’d direct you guys to this post and link

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/5292061/dying-womans-final-words-go-viral-because-of-her-heartbreaking-advice/amp/

tomc likes this.
  9. Alex Clark

Alex Clark Rookie

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I was told that as well by 2 separate dealers in two separate countries. However, my dealer told me if I buy a Lusso I’d get an allocation. Now I own a lovely Lusso I didn’t plan on buying (but I’m super happy I did). I’m just hoping the dealer can deliver on his promise (otherwise I would have bought a 488 instead).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds and Shack like this.
  10. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Melvok likes this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I am very sorry to read of your friend's tragic illness and passing. That is truly heart breaking. You are right that life is short and its good advice for us all to take a deep breath and enjoy everything good in our lives.

12. nkhalid

nkhalid Karting

Mar 5, 2015
    As for the cost if it’s £300k all in then there would be a serious issue of considering a used speciale for another 15-20k and no wait and arguably a better investment.. long term.. but in reality the base price is likely to be less than the 812 so less than £250.. so I’m guessing 230/240 minimal optional extras so all in 255-260k I’m thinking ..

13. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Regretfully I suspect you are dreaming. Given the carbon on this car, the currency devaluation etc, it's not going to happen I'm afraid.

Melvok and Albert-LP like this.
  14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What a sad tale, I'm sorry for your loss but out of such a terrible tragedy we have the capacity to benefit and that is their gift. Carpe diem and don't sweat the small stuff,. Virtually everything but health really is the small stuff, difficult though it often is to appreciate at the time.

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I meant to add that, heresy though it may sound, the small stuff includes our favourite car marque.

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Putting the first few pieces of this jigsaw together it looks like it will turn out to be totally epic.

If a significant numbers of peeps have really just bought a 488 in order to get the Vs, what happens when all those hit the market?

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and nkhalid like this.
  17. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    So did a bit of searching and these guys seem to be the only real manufacturers of CF wheels. Approx US$12k for set. Wonder who Ferrari uses?

http://www.carbonrev.com/

of2worlds likes this.
  18. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As ever Ferrari plays it’s customers to perfection . This car is as close to the Challenge car as it can get and is as close to a Ferrari race car since a very long time ( I do not consider 599 GTO sorry ) . It will of course be extraordinarily good. When did Ferrari get a mid engine V8 wrong . With the weight advantage over a LaF it will take a damn good driver of said LaF to keep this masterclass at bay.
    We all hate it , we are all being played , but Ferrari knows how to play with our heart strings and our wallet . It’s starting to get out of my league , but when I am dribbling and home bound , I will still recall I realised my dreams.

Ferrari I hate you .

Traveller, stavura, tomc and 3 others like this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Pretty sure they make the wheels for Ford, as evidenced by pics of GT and GT350 in the OEM section. As for Porsche, I think they make their own per a video i seem to remember seeing.

20. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My dealer hasn't said that and, even last night, was sure that I would be able to get / buy one. And I only own a 458 Speciale.

Not if I manage to get one. My Speciale has 21k km of hard road and some track driving, which resulted in 3 new sets of tires and brake pads. The 488 will get an identical treatment. I don't see why I'd bother buying the car otherwise?

21. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Link to English version
    Apologies if this is a repost or verified inaccurate

22. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Sorry to disappoint you!!

I was just reminding some people who believed the car was not shown to the dealers

Albert-LP and Shadowfax like this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1898 Shadowfax, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Hope for your sake it's different in UAE as here was told those Speciale owners with orders in will most likely be seen off, with 488 owners given first priority to whatever allocation becomes available. I'm sure VIP's will get a look in first, to be expected, but then most have/had 488's anyway. Was also made clear even as a 488 owner one must meet a criteria where a keen interest/attendance in track events has been qualified by Ferrari HQ. This will also see certain 488 owners seen off as well or, best case scenario, given less priority in the Que.

Shack likes this.
  24. HyperMac954

HyperMac954 Karting

Jul 2, 2012
    Same here, on all counts. I have been repeatedly impressed with the Lusso. And I also took one of their last CaliS to lock it down.

uhn2000 and of2worlds like this.
  25. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I think we will hear all types of stories about how to get one.

One of my friends in Texas asked me about buying a 488 vs 720 vs performante. I told him that they were all fine cars but if he was going to go for the 488 and it was his first ferrari then he probably will not be able to get the 488 speciale. He came back to me and told me that the dealer assured him that buying the 488 (remember it's his first ferrari) will give him a good shot at the 488 speciale. (I did the eye roll because I know that won't even be close to how it is going to play out (hope I'm wrong)).

of2worlds likes this.