Official book collectors thread | Page 93 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    The Racing Activities Yearbooks were never available at the Ferrari parts departement. The first years were published by David Bull Publishing. Nowadays the books are published by Ferrari (Gestione Sportiva) and do not have a part number. These books cannot be ordered unlike the normal yearbooks (part of the 'official Ferrari magazine).

of2worlds likes this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Dino2400 thank you for your detailed reply!

3. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    You're welcome! To find one i would suggest Ebay. Most likely Ebay.it

of2worlds likes this.
  4. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Does anyone know where I can find the book "Ferrari in Camera" (Palawan Press) ?

Thank you! :)

5. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    There is a copy coming up at Silverstone Auctions Race Retro sale in February: http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/ferrari-in-camera-boxed-volume-set

Otherwise, keep an eye on the usual places like EBay, Hortons books in the UK etc.

Jonathan

6. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Thank you!

7. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    #2308 Dino2400, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  8. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I have it. I have read about half of it so far. I am enjoying it and it is very nicely done. Some interesting snippets about what went on with the deals of some of the cars that have been through John Collins' hands over the years and so on. Nice pictures too. It is a bit expensive and I did hesitate a bit before buying it but I'm very glad I did.

Jonathan

Dino2400 likes this.
  9. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks Jonathan! Maybe the book will be available at Retromobile. Will look for it there

10. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    It seems almost incredible to find this book in perfect shape at a more or less reasonable price.

Do you think this book is it worth it?

11. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    IMHO - It shouldn't (yet) be more than £1000. The Silverstone Auctions looks to be under-estimated but you never know on the day.
    Nathan

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I was given one just a few days ago, so I haven't read a lot of it yet, but it certainly looks very interesting and there are some great photos of amazing cars in it. My only criticism is that it reads a bit like an ego trip for john Collins. I don't know the price, so I can't say if it is worth it or not.

13. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    oneshot8541, -CD-, Dino2400 and 3 others like this.
  14. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Very nice, Nathan!

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  16. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    So I'm definitely not at the level of most here when it comes to this topic, but I buy what falls in front of me. Yesterday I picked up a copy of "Ferrari 1947-1997 The Official Book" in excellent condition still in its black dust cover box at Half Price Books in Houston for $40. It seems to be a nice book and has great pictures and stories, though some of the English is awkward. I suspect it was translated from Italian?
    Anyway, how'd I do? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

17. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    John. The answer to your question is that, as is often the case these days, it depends on where you look! There are European websites selling versions of this book in German or Italian for over 100 Euros. The Euro version published in English, by Haynes, is less than this. There are also dealers in Europe offering German and Italian versions for less than 30 Euros. The prices for your US Rizzoli version also vary. I have found one in Indiana for about $25 but there is no mention of the slip case for this one. Last year I paid £40 for a different Ferrari book that is still available elsewhere for over £300!

It pays to shop around!

18. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Good to know, thanks.
    It wasn't really my primary concern. I have already enjoyed reading a bit of it. Its got some great anecdotal stories in it, more than just tech details and drawings that are typical of coffee table books.

19. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
  20. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    It's a good book, not a great book. But I think it's definitely worth $40. Good illustrations, decent photos, overall a good reference book.

-F

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  21. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    John, what I should have added to my original response is that you have had the enjoyment (hopefully) of exploring a good book shop, examining their stock, finding something that you like the look of, assessing the condition of it for yourself and walking out of the shop with it in your hand. No mailing costs, no wait for it to turn up and no concerns that it will arrive damaged. As a collector, there is far more satisfaction in a purchase like this than an online buy from another part of the country/world. It is difficult to put a value on the experience of actually buying something the old fashioned way compared to the modern way.

Robert

jm2 likes this.
  22. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Just a quick query: could someone please confirm the height of the chrome horse on the cover TIA

23. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
  24. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Many thanks for such a rapid reply

Dino2400 likes this.