Cavallino Classic 2018 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cavallino Classic 2018

Discussion in 'Florida' started by eyeman1234, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I hope this issue gets taken care of soon and either the owner of the event comes to his senses or he gets bought out. I am glad I did not go this year.

3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The owner has slowly degraded the events - not good long term

4. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell

Attached Files:

Rossocorsa1 and craterface like this.
  5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Just got back to CA.
    I went to the track event on Thursday. It was SO disappointing. Just a few cars were on the track at any given time. I drove in from Miami and felt it was such a waste of my 1st. day in FL.
    The Event at the Breakers is ALWAYS fun and worth it for me though.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I am glad I didn't fly out for this event. It would have been $1,500 all said and done to see just a few cars on the track and then the concours which as nice as it is, seems to have shrunken in size. Or is it just an impression from the pictures?

greg512tr likes this.
  7. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Saturday the field was essentially full. The adjacent exhibition/commercial space was not.

HotShoe likes this.
  8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Sorry, simply not true. Ask any dealer exec and they will tell you, if they are honest, it has absolutely nothing to do with the prices.

Politics and rumor mongering aside, I'm thankful to have such an incredible event to attend. IMO the entry fee this year was well worth it to see the cars they had on display. The front lawn alone is worth the price of admission to me.

Yes the track event isn't what it used to be but $30 to see a 250 GTO do hot laps is a steal. Sadly it's not just Cavallino. Track events are in a serious decline. Perhaps today's owner's are too focused on "show" the "go"?

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I can't comment on the track days because I didn't attend. As for the concourse, it was spectacular. I've heard many complain on this and other threads about the $200 admission fee. It seems appropriately priced for the incredible quality of the event. The cars are the finest Ferrari's in the world in every class and the setting at the Breakers is really special. By comparison with other premium concourses I think he Cavallino is great value for the money. I should also mention that attendance seemed very impressive. I think John Barnes does an excellent job staging a premium event.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Ira Schwartz likes this.
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Congrats, Paul. Great seeing you down there. It was nice to finally meet you in person and a special experience to join you on the awards stage to receive our Platino trophies.

12. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Congratulations, Paul!
    Yes, Ferrari Classiche was there alone.....why?

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

They are part of Ferrari. Given what the Cavallino Classic is it makes perfect sense that Classiche would be the business segment of Ferrari that would be invvolved.

14. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    It was good to meet you also. Congratulations on your platino award!!

Here is a picture of the 3 series platino recipients.

Attached Files:

15. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

16. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Congrats Paul! Nice run! :D

17. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Thanks Duane. Missed you at Cavallino. Hope things are good with you.

18. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I had a wonderful suite booked for the week for my wife and I at the breakers coming from New York and I don't even own a Ferrari at this point.
    I cancelled about 3 months ago as politics were starting up.
    This is happening across the board , whether Ferrari, Aston or Jag.
    Guys the numbers are shrinking and the CORRECTION has already begun.
    Old men arguing is not a vacation for me.
    Amelia under Bill Warner has held up and grown, BUT renting oxygen bottles and scooters make more profits.
    I want it to last forever, but there is no one under 45 years of age other than the typical owner with his grand daughter cough cough at these events.
    I heard track day was dead and to be honest who cares anymore, its all about the cars , food and atmosphere.
    100 POINT CARS never existed and Ive been around at least 6 months in the hobby :)
    Lighten up on the rules, bring more venues to the table and make a dress code mandatory and all will be great again.
    Hopefully next year it will be back.
    Good luck!
    Believe me come to a JCNA / Jaguar event, they called my 80 year old father the kid!
    See you all at Amelia!, Then Pebble!
    GTJOEY1314

craterface likes this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Not at all my experience. The lawn was crawling with men, women, children, young and old. There were plenty of the most celebrated, multi-million dollar vintage classics, but plenty of 360's as well (and everything in between). The crowd was well-heeled (at $200 a pop, of course), but it was a passionate audience. You should have kept your reservations. You missed an fantastic concourse.

20. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Oh...again a year has passed and it seems to be the time when those who where not there have to justify their decision by telling themselves how bad it actually was (as from what they heard or what was said elsewhere) :D
    May I ask who was there and was dissapointed from the day at the Breakers? I have not heard many around so this must be a good sign...
    OK, the track days are not what they were before but can you name a SINGLE driving event that today has the same number of Ferrari it had 10-20 years ago? I visit a lot of them and neither Tour Auto, Mille Miglia, Le Mans Classic, Goodwood or the Monterey Motorsports Reunion has about the same number of Ferrari they had years ago....Hardly the fault of the event or the organizers but a question of the time when cars are insanely expensive, investements and restored for Concours rather than racing.

For the Concours: there was a duo of 250 GTO and 250 TR, 2 275 Nart Spyder, 3 California Spyder, 2 250 MM, 2 400 Superamerica, 3 SWB (including Bertone), several 212 Inter/Export and a 410 S....not to mention the fabulous winning 250 GT TdF Zagato. I was happy to attend and I guess most of those on the field where as well

Here are a few images of the cars on the field: http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/events-stories/events/2018/concours/cavallino-classic-2018.best-of-show.the-zagato-bodied-250-gt-tdf-of-david-sydorick/index.html

21. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    All is good my friend, I've been very busy. I was saddened to miss the track day but from what I've read here turnout was spotty.

We should try and get together soon to catch up.

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Totally agree. It was an amazing concourse. Can't wait for next year.

23. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I've attended all 27 Cavallino Classics and yes, this year the track was very quiet on Thursday (which was fine with me, as I got a lot of track time with light traffic), but Friday was much busier, with many more cars and lots of spectators.
    As for the concorso, it was top-notch. As regards cost, well, I'd rather pay $200/person than revert to the old days when tons of toddlers roamed around fondling the cars, and one mom even wheeled a stroller into one of them- I hate to say it, but perhaps the higher cost keeps out those who are less than serious gearheads, and that's not a bad thing, IMHO.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Ira , was the field crawling with men , women and children of all ages?
    Were the dealers there?
    Maybe I have the wrong show?
    Anyway, The venue is great, just get past the politics, spending 15 grand at the Ritz for Amelia is a no brainer, Pebble is Pebble ...
    Enjoy guys.

25. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Ira,
    Which car was yours? I took a few photos.